Info Rodentpro - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #101
JoeTaffis
I've been buying frozen rodents from RODENT PRO for many years with absolutely NO problems. I think you are just looking for someone to blame for your own LACK of protocol.... PERIOD!!!! People like you scare me in the fact that you accuse without even notifying them (RodentPro) of what you believe....

Old 07-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #102
Michael Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me View Post
They look like maggots IMO. But it does take quit a bit of time for maggots to appear from dead prey. If they are maggots (which I'm not saying they are) ...that would show your lack of care for your snakes.
Between the humidity and heat in the northeast, for the first time ever I am finding little fly's pretty much everywhere. I Had to even remove spagnum moss from the hideboxes of some of my snakes because I was finding the little bastards in there. Also, the other day a snake that never missed a meal in the 8 years i've had her, hit, wrapped and left the mouse under her newspaper (un-eaten). In less than 48 hours (or pretty damn close to) There were already a dozen fly larvae ( maggot's ) that looked very similar to the pictures you posts, under the prey. IMHO I believe they might be fly larvae. They seem to be horrible this year.. That being said vet's are not god, and a I'm willing to bet they skimmed thru there lessons on parasite identification classes lol

Michael Brown

Old 07-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #103
Michael Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me View Post
They look like maggots IMO. But it does take quit a bit of time for maggots to appear from dead prey. If they are maggots (which I'm not saying they are) ...that would show your lack of care for your snakes.
and also,

http://www.uen.org/utahlink/activiti...tivity_id=1026

Some reading for you to do if you think maggots take a long time to develop, in the right warm, moist conditions (reptile conditions).

It's pretty insulting to tell a fellow reptile enthusiast he may Lack care for his snakes on a subject you, yourself are clearly ill informed in.

Just saying

Old 07-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #104
rcpreis3
The rats last about 30 secs tops in the tanks, I hand feed them. I come back thru about an hour or so later and check to see if they were taken, then re-offer or dispose. I thaw them in plastic bags and when they are thawed I put them in hot tap water (still in the bags) to heat up so my snakes see them. I leave them in Ziploc freezer bags specifically because I dont want flies on them. I dont find the worms in the substrate or in the tank only in the water. No they are for sure NOT mosquito larvae. The name of the vet was Atlantic Animal Hospital South. If u wish to contact and question them about this please remain respectful and professional. Like I said before I work with her fiance and I dont want to create a hostile work enviroment from whats been posted on here or what people say to them.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #105
bsharrah
They do appear to be maggots, which may not have been laid on the feeders, but possibly feces left in the cage too long.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #106
bsharrah
FYI - feces left in a cage just 24 hours can develop maggots so I am not suggesting you are not keeping up with your cage cleaning. I suggest just putting some fly paper around the room.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #107
garweft
My issue was pinworms were diagnosed in a reptile without a fecal being done. Then again no vet records were ever posted so that is on your word as well.

There are a few different type of flies that will be found around collections of reptiles, especially in summer. Phorid (Carrion) flies are always a problem and might be your culprit.

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatre...ctions-part-1/

Old 07-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #108
Show Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brown View Post
and also,

http://www.uen.org/utahlink/activiti...tivity_id=1026

Some reading for you to do if you think maggots take a long time to develop, in the right warm, moist conditions (reptile conditions).

It's pretty insulting to tell a fellow reptile enthusiast he may Lack care for his snakes on a subject you, yourself are clearly ill informed in.

Just saying

I'm in Missouri where it's hot and humid and I don't have maggots on my snakes food nor do I keep the food laying around long enough for maggots . No I'm not going to read your link I don't need to... as I know for a fact flies have to lay eggs on the dead before maggots hatch which means he's a not someone who keeps up on his snakes and their care. If they are hatching out in his snake bins that is terrible!!!

Old 07-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #109
Show Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft View Post
My issue was pinworms were diagnosed in a reptile without a fecal being done. Then again no vet records were ever posted so that is on your word as well.

There are a few different type of flies that will be found around collections of reptiles, especially in summer. Phorid (Carrion) flies are always a problem and might be your culprit.

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatre...ctions-part-1/
I am also waiting to see a vet report from his first visit.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #110
Shiari
Those are in no way, shape, or form a pinworm. Or any intestinal parasite. 3 weeks ago, I was picking those out of the wounds of a very sick dog.

Another source for the maggots is if your substrate is damp and left for too long.

I'm sorry, but I REFUSE to believe your vet diagnosed those as pinworms. If your vet truly did, I'm sorry, but they are either so stupid their license needs to be revoked, or they are so unethical that their license STILL needs to be revoked.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!