Info Rodentpro - Page 16 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #151
David Scarboro
Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinNMpythons View Post
Actually I in no way know the OP or have any acquaintance with him I just find it irritating to see someone up against the world when they have the best intentions at heart. Way to make accusations though David. But it can be argued that your comments aren't in any way going to help this dicussion either. The OP already said his peace so this thread is already over.
You do not get to say when this thread is over, sorry. The OP may have said his piece, but a lot of people are still waiting for his apology. If you don't mind, go back and read the very first post in this thread and notice the little frowny face too. Then come back and tell me it's only a info thread and not a bad guy thread. Calling something by another name doesn't change what it is. IMO this thread will begin to end when the OP comes clean and make a heartfelt apology...

Old 07-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #152
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scarboro View Post
Doesn't look like that is going to happen...
Hey, the only person I think he needs to apologize to never showed. Really though, what does he need to apologize for. I think you said it best:

Quote:
...instead have chosen to hide. To me, That implies GUILT.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #153
rcpreis3
Quote:
Doesn't look like that is going to happen...
I just did, "Im sorry" is till the phrase for an apology right?

Am I sorry that I put rodentpro on the "block"? No, I had no intention of putting them on a "block" in the first place. I tried to come across, as this is what I found out, u guys take it how it applies. If u have RP stock u may wanna hold off and see my test results. If u wanna buy form them hold up and see what happens with this. I seriously doubt that dramatically affected their sales. And a snake going a week or two with out eating isnt gonna hurt it, plus u can always use a temporary other source

Am I sorry this got blown up and people got all up worked over protocol, and didnt wanna take it as it was? No

Am I sorry I got everyone, including Rodentpro, worried about a potential issue and it turned out to be nothing? Sincerley. I went with what was told to me by a vet, and I thought I could take them on their word.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #154
Riyeko
The behaviors and attitudes in this thread are disappointing.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #155
reticguy76
probably best if this thread just gently lays to rest.

i personally do not believe this thread started out or had intentions of a bad guy thread. it has kind of snowballed that way. i have only bought feeders from rodentpro (for a long time now) with not one incident. what should have (and still should be) done is a fecal float. if ova is positively identified in the float (which should be, as the sodium nitrate solution separates any ova and immature parastes and "floats" it to the top, then put on a microscope slide with a cover slip and looked at via microscope), then proper treatment/meds can be properly dispensed along with a proper diagnosis.

i could have easily missed this, but i am assuming that the patient (snake) in question is a hatchling ?

Old 07-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #156
Wolfy-hound
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpreis3 View Post
I would like to state that before I went with Rodent pro I never once saw a parasite in my collection. Then a few months after I start to order from them I had lil worms floating in water dishes. I thought it was from a recent trade and that I just didnt quarantine that guy long/good enough, but after I take these snakes to the vet and get them checked out, the doc says these worms cannot be contracted through the vent of the snake, but only from the prey. Being inside the prey is a necessary step in the development and cannot be skipped. I believe she said they were Pinworms, or trachylides (sp)? So that means that Rodentpros feeders have parasites and they are selling these animals as clean, safe feeders. I will be taking some of these rats/mice of various ages and bring them to her for a fecal exam. We just have to wait until I get paid again or if I have enough after I get the necessary medication to clean my collection. I put this out there as an info thread so that people can not only hold off feeding these rats to their animals, but if they were curious enough themselves to take them to their vet and get them checked out for a second opinion. I will update this thread after we get the fecal smears on the rats done.
From the first post...
You say it's "just" an Info thread but you stated "Rodentpros feeders have parasites and they are selling these animals as clean, safe feeders." That's a bad guy thing to claim.

You said "after I take these snakes to the vet and get them checked out", but now you say the vet just looked at the worms, not the snakes? You also say she did NOT do a fecal check, but the reciept states "direct fecal".

You also stated that she said "probably from the rodents" at one point, but started out with "doc says these worms cannot be contracted through the vent of the snake, but only from the prey".

Any vet that looked at worms like your pic and said "pinworms" is inept at best. Either she didn't do what you're saying, she didn't do what she's telling you she did... or something is wrong with that vet clinic.

It's admirable to want to warn the public about a potential problem. But I think you got over-excited about the possible situation and exagerated some of your facts, since it's toned down from "Rodentpro's feeders are parasite riden!" to a "Rodentpro's feeders could have had parasites, but they aren't what I saw in the water".

I actually think you must be VERY passionate about your animals, since you got so worried as to rush to a vet over a few worms, and posted here immediately. I think I blame the vet a bit more than I'd blame you. I hope that there's nothing wrong with your snakes at all and it's just a few errant fruit flies getting busy in an inconvienant spot.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #157
David Scarboro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
From the first post...
You say it's "just" an Info thread but you stated "Rodentpros feeders have parasites and they are selling these animals as clean, safe feeders." That's a bad guy thing to claim.

You said "after I take these snakes to the vet and get them checked out", but now you say the vet just looked at the worms, not the snakes? You also say she did NOT do a fecal check, but the reciept states "direct fecal".

You also stated that she said "probably from the rodents" at one point, but started out with "doc says these worms cannot be contracted through the vent of the snake, but only from the prey".

Any vet that looked at worms like your pic and said "pinworms" is inept at best. Either she didn't do what you're saying, she didn't do what she's telling you she did... or something is wrong with that vet clinic.

It's admirable to want to warn the public about a potential problem. But I think you got over-excited about the possible situation and exagerated some of your facts, since it's toned down from "Rodentpro's feeders are parasite riden!" to a "Rodentpro's feeders could have had parasites, but they aren't what I saw in the water".

I actually think you must be VERY passionate about your animals, since you got so worried as to rush to a vet over a few worms, and posted here immediately. I think I blame the vet a bit more than I'd blame you. I hope that there's nothing wrong with your snakes at all and it's just a few errant fruit flies getting busy in an inconvienant spot.
That is Outstanding!!!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #158
Michael Brown
[quote=Show Me;1322938]I'm in Missouri where it's hot and humid and I don't have maggots on my snakes food nor do I keep the food laying around long enough for maggots . No I'm not going to read your link I don't need to... as I know for a fact flies have to lay eggs on the dead before maggots hatch which means he's a not someone who keeps up on his snakes and their care. If they are hatching out in his snake bins that is terrible!!![/QUOTE]

lol, humidity in Missouri may be comparable to NY, I highly doubt it, but I'm experiencing fruit flys from misting my bins or the smallest bowl spill.

Don't read the link, , but dont insult a FELLOW reptile enthusiast on a subject you are obliviously ignorant.

I'm guessing your facility is as immaculate as a medical clean room, but others deal with snakes defecating occasionally (lol) which can lead to those small flies if not cleaned up immediatly, especially with this heat.

Quote:
Dunno about Mississppi, but here in FLorida maggots can appear overnight with any incentive. It doesn't take "bad husbandry" or fungus. Florida has bugs everywhere and unless you're inside a sealed lab, you've got some kind of bugs.

A bit of dampness, or even the tiny drop of blood etc from a rat left behind in the bedding... anything is enough for maggots to hatch out. Unless you're changing your bedding DAILY completely with sanitizing each time, it can happen.

That said, the vet needs to issue a report about whether the visable worms were diagnosed as pinworms, or if they ALSO diagnosed pinworms in the samples, alongside the maggots. People listening to vets often hear one thing, when the vet actually said/meant something else entirely.

Or the vet is incompetant and doesn't know what pinworms look like, which I'd find doubtful since parasites are covered very extensively in vet school and they should have referance material in case anything strange comes up in practice.

Back on topic

IMHO rodentpro has delivered such quality feeders for so many years that a BOI inquiry thread with no solid proof will effect there business in no way shape or form. Im willing to bet most BOI dwellers have already done business, or know someone who did business with Rodent pro and would not let this thread effect them. What type of business gets no negative feedback? I mean christ, the OP was'nt even bad mouthing RP, just trying to send out a "Tornado watch" to be on the safe side. it has already been beaten to death that he made a mistake in posting too soon, but he had a vet wh0 who had at very least 7 years of schooling, very educated folk, telling him the worms were parasitic.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #159
Michael Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
Hey, the only person I think he needs to apologize to never showed. Really though, what does he need to apologize for. I think you said it best:
I agree, apologize to who? He gave RP his business for a year, some members on this board have used RP for years, centuries?, yet they feel they have enough business that "who cares", or so it seems from there lack of appearance.

Can someone tell me why BOI member's feel so entitled? why do you require an apology?

Old 07-27-2011, 02:15 AM   #160
Show Me
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me View Post
I'm in Missouri where it's hot and humid and I don't have maggots on my snakes food nor do I keep the food laying around long enough for maggots . No I'm not going to read your link I don't need to... as I know for a fact flies have to lay eggs on the dead before maggots hatch which means he's a not someone who keeps up on his snakes and their care. If they are hatching out in his snake bins that is terrible!!!
lol, humidity in Missouri may be comparable to NY, I highly doubt it, but I'm experiencing fruit flys from misting my bins or the smallest bowl spill.

Don't read the link, , but dont insult a FELLOW reptile enthusiast on a subject you are obliviously ignorant.

I'm guessing your facility is as immaculate as a medical clean room, but others deal with snakes defecating occasionally (lol) which can lead to those small flies if not cleaned up immediatly, especially with this heat.
Relative humidity in Missouri is very comparable to Florida. Kc MO. yearly high AM 81%PM 63% and Miami Fl. yearly High AM 83% PM 61%. What difference does it matter about humidity?! Just because you live in a humid state doesn't mean you should follow the same cleaning protocol as lower humidity places, you need to be cleaning up after feeding even more! If those are normal fly maggots, the type that hatch out on rotten carcasses then yes I strongly feel that is terrible. I've been told my facility is immaculate but I'm always striving for perfection so I also try for even more improvement.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!