Info Rodentpro - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #51
TriangleReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpreis3 View Post
Just for the record they arent unknown, they are pinworms.
Just for the record, pinworms are found in many different species, including humans. Before accusing RodentPro or anybody else without proof, you need to do more inverstigating. The pinworms could have come from you handling live rodents and transferring the eggs to your reptiles. The fact that you didn't feed any particular animal live rodents is no proof. A live rodent that is infected will have eggs on and around its anus, and those eggs can spread to you hand, and then to your snakes habitat and water bowl. My entire point is that you are premature and have shown ZERO PROOF that RodentPro has anything to do with your pinworm infestation.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #52
Wraith
Quote:
I would like to state that before I went with Rodent pro I never once saw a parasite in my collection. Then a few months after I start to order from them I had lil worms floating in water dishes. I thought it was from a recent trade and that I just didnt quarantine that guy long/good enough, but after I take these snakes to the vet and get them checked out, the doc says these worms cannot be contracted through the vent of the snake, but only from the prey. Being inside the prey is a necessary step in the development and cannot be skipped. I believe she said they were Pinworms, or trachylides (sp)? So that means that Rodentpros feeders have parasites and they are selling these animals as clean, safe feeders. I will be taking some of these rats/mice of various ages and bring them to her for a fecal exam. We just have to wait until I get paid again or if I have enough after I get the necessary medication to clean my collection. I put this out there as an info thread so that people can not only hold off feeding these rats to their animals, but if they were curious enough themselves to take them to their vet and get them checked out for a second opinion. I will update this thread after we get the fecal smears on the rats done.

Pinworms are NATURAL in the gut flora of reptiles and amphibians. The reptiles do NOT have to become infected through their food to get them - all they have to do is eat/drink something that is contaminated with eggs. Eggs can spread through physical contact - so you yourself could have potentially spread eggs from some other source to your snake's foods or their water dish. Crickets for example are notorious for passing pinworms from animal to animal... so if you have cricket eating animals and those crickets manage to go on a walkabout from a cage that has an animal heavily infected (infected to the point of passing eggs in the first place) to other cages or to nearby supplies that you put into other cages - they have then passed the pinworms through their contamination of those cages/items. People that use bark/dirt/etc. type substrates in their cages open themselves up to potential contamination as well...eggs are perfectly happy to sit in the dirt, etc. for a long time in stasis waiting for the chance to find its way inside an animal that is eating a food item that came in contact with the contaminated substrate.

Also, if you are going to blame RodentPro for the "infection" then think on this. As said before Pinworms are a natural part of the gut flora of herps. They do NOT pose a problem UNLESS the animal itself is already compromised health wise. A normal healthy animal's immune system keeps the pinworms in check. It's when the animal is sick from some other cause and their immune system becomes compromised that the worms are able to get out of control and cause possible problems like impaction. If a HEALTHY animal is passing visible worms - visible to your eyes, then your "problem" existed far longer than the "couple of months" you were feeding your snakes from rodentpro's stock. It takes a long time for a worm population to grow so out of control that the worms themselves are being passed in stool or water dishes and can be seen without the benefit of a microscope.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #53
Show Me
Mouse/rat pinworm will NOT cause disease in reptiles.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #54
bullies&balls
Word is many suppliers to them. Not all of the feeders are raised in house, nad IF this is the case, rest assured private breeders are NOT testing their stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Had you picked up the phone and called this company, a company of their size and reputation would have, I think, immediately tested their critters and gotten back to you.

They don't have to wait for vet appointments, for important matters I'm sure they can have a vet come to them.

I'm not saying there is or there is not a connection, let me be very clear on that.
I AM saying that prior to making your initial statement saying this company was responsible, more should have been done.

Did you even try to call them?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #55
bullies&balls
with everything except the bolded part. It takes days for the natural occuring bugs to go haywire when the "system of checks and balance" go off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Pinworms are NATURAL in the gut flora of reptiles and amphibians. The reptiles do NOT have to become infected through their food to get them - all they have to do is eat/drink something that is contaminated with eggs. Eggs can spread through physical contact - so you yourself could have potentially spread eggs from some other source to your snake's foods or their water dish. Crickets for example are notorious for passing pinworms from animal to animal... so if you have cricket eating animals and those crickets manage to go on a walkabout from a cage that has an animal heavily infected (infected to the point of passing eggs in the first place) to other cages or to nearby supplies that you put into other cages - they have then passed the pinworms through their contamination of those cages/items. People that use bark/dirt/etc. type substrates in their cages open themselves up to potential contamination as well...eggs are perfectly happy to sit in the dirt, etc. for a long time in stasis waiting for the chance to find its way inside an animal that is eating a food item that came in contact with the contaminated substrate.

Also, if you are going to blame RodentPro for the "infection" then think on this. As said before Pinworms are a natural part of the gut flora of herps. They do NOT pose a problem UNLESS the animal itself is already compromised health wise. A normal healthy animal's immune system keeps the pinworms in check. It's when the animal is sick from some other cause and their immune system becomes compromised that the worms are able to get out of control and cause possible problems like impaction. If a HEALTHY animal is passing visible worms - visible to your eyes, then your "problem" existed far longer than the "couple of months" you were feeding your snakes from rodentpro's stock. It takes a long time for a worm population to grow so out of control that the worms themselves are being passed in stool or water dishes and can be seen without the benefit of a microscope.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #56
rcpreis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft View Post
And again I ask....
Sorry didnt see ur original question. I brought a Ball, a Boa, and the worms in the water dish. She looked at the worms under the microscope, I didnt see her swab my snakes so I assume no smear or float was done. But them worms were ugly as hell.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #57
rcpreis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post

No cricket eating animals, I use aspen, and I highly doubt that my "dirty hands" spread. I wash a sanitize like a germaphobe, simply because I dont wanna deal with what im dealing with now.

Do u have any referance or sites that back up the info u are providing about pinworms in reptiles? And Ive been using Rodentpro for probably a year now. What is the exact amount of time for a pinworms life cycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsnake1 View Post
Just for the record, pinworms are found in many different species, including humans. Before accusing RodentPro or anybody else without proof, you need to do more inverstigating. The pinworms could have come from you handling live rodents and transferring the eggs to your reptiles. The fact that you didn't feed any particular animal live rodents is no proof. A live rodent that is infected will have eggs on and around its anus, and those eggs can spread to you hand, and then to your snakes habitat and water bowl. My entire point is that you are premature and have shown ZERO PROOF that RodentPro has anything to do with your pinworm infestation.
I practice pretty good sanitation when handling my reptiles, when I feed I wash my hands and sanitize between each feed and when I clean I wear gloves. My vet said the only way they could have gotten this was from the feeders, and yes the worms can go back in the vent, but that means the snakes or their bedding woulda had to have some way of cross contamination. I can assure while that coulda happened to my breeders, It couldnt happen to the rest of my collection which has no reason to have contact with each other.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #58
HerpVenue
Quote:
Why are u acting like this is a bad guy thread?
It is an "informational" thread which some can consider bad.

Quote:
And like I said before, I have snakes in my collection that eat f/t, never had a live rat from me, and still have worms. So that pretty much knocks out my live provider as a suspect.
No it does not. If your live animals have pinworms and you held them, then you hold your frozen thawed....... you just may have possibly transfered some of the eggs.

Quote:
I practice pretty good sanitation when handling my reptiles, when I feed I wash my hands and sanitize between each feed and when I clean I wear gloves. .
wow really? You wash your hands and sanitize after each and every sing rat you handle? WOW. Are your hands raw? Please tell me you only have like two reptiles. Because if you don't, that sure is a lot of hand washings. Then again you know how people are. They clean and disinfect their hands after each snake (which is believable). the also clean and disinfect their hands after every rat. they also clean and disinfect their hands after every third step. But only if it is on the left foot and on Wednesdays. These same people were lab coats and gas masks just to feed their reptiles. They make people wear bio level safety 4 suits before entering their house as well.

Now I ask you. Do you itch? Specially at night? Do you know how to do the scotch tape test?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #59
HerpVenue
Quote:
I would like to state that before I went with Rodent pro I never once saw a parasite in my collection. Then a few months after I start to order from them I had lil worms floating in water dishes..
Quote:
And Ive been using Rodentpro for probably a year now. What is the exact amount of time for a pinworms life cycle?
Your timeline. something is off. Not sure what. But something in your time line is not right.

Did you go with a local person because you saw the pinworms?

How many months were you with rodent pro before you saw pinworms?
how many months were you with your local feeder breeder before you saw pinworms?

To me you were with rodent pro LONGER than you were with your local breeder feeder.

Exactly when did you first notice these "pinworms"?

Old 07-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #60
bsharrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me View Post
Mouse/rat pinworm will NOT cause disease in reptiles.
To add to this, rodent pin worms are common and are probably found in many supplier's feeders, and most private rodent colonies. They are not passed on to herps but do get passed through and the eggs will be detected in fecal floats. That said, a herp vet who knows what they are looking for will easily distinguish between rodent pins, which are harmless and require no action, and pins that are parasitic to herps and should be treated.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!