Info Rodentpro - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #61
Show Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharrah View Post
To add to this, rodent pin worms are common and are probably found in many supplier's feeders, and most private rodent colonies. They are not passed on to herps but do get passed through and the eggs will be detected in fecal floats. That said, a herp vet who knows what they are looking for will easily distinguish between rodent pins, which are harmless and require no action, and pins that are parasitic to herps and should be treated.
You are correct! There are many different types on pinworm and the majority are host specific. Reptilian pinworm can take a long time to show up (be seen/exspelled outside the body) so I would lay money these snakes have been infected for a very long time. Reptiles can't get rodent pinworm, that's the way it goes.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #62
bsharrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me View Post
so I would lay money these snakes have been infected for a very long time. Reptiles can't get rodent pinworm, that's the way it goes.
I would agree IF it is verified that what the OP is seeing are actually worms. Have they even been identified yet? A fecal will detect the ova of both rodent and reptile pinworms but that isn't necessarily going to verify what he is seeing in the water dish.

By chance, do these worms resemble very small grains of rice. floating on the surface of the water?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #63
bloodlustindulgence
im not saying the OP is right or wrong about whats going on but i go through about 120$ (not including shipping) worth of rodent pro's frozen rodents in almost every size each month and i haven't had any problems. i've tried other company's rodents and always go back to RP bc their rats are always healthy and appear cleaner in comparison. i would think i would have the same issues if it came from them. If you can prove the source is RP i'd really like to know. can you have the rats tested?

Old 07-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #64
NIGRO51
This "info thread" is getting out of hand. Do we have an eta on the final results from this vet??

Not that it really matters now since most people searching for is company will only read a page or two before making a decision. This thread is waaaaaaaay too early.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #65
ShortStack
I think this thread was too early as well. I think that all the testing should have been done and THEN a thread shoud have been started if it was found that RodentPro is to blame. And, info thread or not, I think they should have been notified as a common courtesy. Even if this isn't a bad guy thread, if I were them, I would feel like I needed to defend myself and my company after reading what was said about me. There are allegations being made here, even if the OP says that some of them weren't worded very well once he looked back on them.

But, I must say that I do commend you for trying to get to the bottom of this. I may not necessarily agree with how you're going about it with this thread, but even if these worms don't harm your snakes, I am glad that you don't want them around regardless.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #66
pony1964
All animals can get "pinworms",even humans, but pinworms are "species specific" meaning every species have their "own" pinworm. Tortoises, snakes, mammals, etc., have different pinworms, etc., but they are still pinworms. Species "specific" means that snake pinworms can affect snakes but would have no bearing on mammals. Pinworms are 'fecal to oral" route, it is a "direct" parasite, meaning the snake had to come into contact with infected feces that contained the pinworm egg and digested it. Yes, it could digest the mouse pinworm but the mouse pinworm because it is "species specific" would just pass out the snake without doing harm. I think either your test showed "mouse pinworm" that would not affect the snake or the test did indeed show that your snake is infected with "snake pinworm". Pinworms are "self-limiting" in nature, but in the control of captivity, if feces are not cleaned up asap, the snake could reinfect itself. And freezing would indeed kill most parasites, definitely pinworms, so I personally don't think "Rodentpro" is the problem.
Mary Ann

Old 07-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #67
TriangleReptiles

Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #68
Michael Brown
I may get flamed for this but.

In my honest opinion the OP posted this thread prematurely, BUT for all the right reason's. It seems as though he was honestly trying to WARN the community of POSSIBLE problems. Before you jump down his throat, understand he initially was not trying to flag rodentpro as a "bad company to deal with", hense the informational thread. He also is going to the vet with samples, above and beyond when comparing actions of 90% of reptile owners.

This thread will be here for as long as this site is, I just hate to see someone get nailed for trying to help (in his own way, right or wrong he was trying to help). It just sucks to try to do something nice for someone only to have it back fire in your face.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #69
alex bleas
I buy from rodent pro and never have had a problem. I have had a couple of dirty bags before with litter and stuff in them but that's out of hundreds of transactions. How would a worm live through a deep freeze? Plus they sale xl and xxl rats for 1.25 super cool people and great customer service.

Alex

Old 07-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #70
pony1964
pinworms in rodents

I, personally, was not villifying anyone, just tried to make an educated observation on what I read previously. I think, in this instance, the vet is misinformed and
got this guy all worked up about the possibility of these worms coming from his feeders. I can well understand that when you go to a vet you expect them to know what they are talking about, unfortunately there aren't many vets really interested enough in reptile medicine to do their "homework" before they make a "diagnosis". The vets that know reptiles would have quickly put his mind at ease. Even if the mice test comes back with pinworms, it doesn't mean that the snake got the pinworms from the feeders. And if he never saw them before, just means he never tested for them. You can't always see pinworms with the naked eye. Only when they are in "overload" would you see them. I wish him luck in sorting this out.
MaryAnn

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!