Info Rodentpro - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #71
bsharrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brown View Post
I may get flamed for this but.

In my honest opinion the OP posted this thread prematurely, BUT for all the right reason's. It seems as though he was honestly trying to WARN the community of POSSIBLE problems. Before you jump down his throat, understand he initially was not trying to flag rodentpro as a "bad company to deal with", hense the informational thread. He also is going to the vet with samples, above and beyond when comparing actions of 90% of reptile owners.

This thread will be here for as long as this site is, I just hate to see someone get nailed for trying to help (in his own way, right or wrong he was trying to help). It just sucks to try to do something nice for someone only to have it back fire in your face.

If this thread is just "premature" as several have stated, please explain why. What were the right reasons and what are we being warned about? The very basis of the thread is ridiculous. Rodents can't pass pin worms to reptiles. Even if the test comes back positive for rodent pins, and it probably will, so what? These are commonly found in rodents.

Whatever is swimming around in his water bowl could not have been passed on to the snake by feeders, regardless of the source. Any experienced herp vet knows this. Testing the fecal matter of the rodents won't help identify what the OP is dealing with. He needs to identify the organism itself and he needs to have the snake tested, multiple times, using both floats and smears.

If anything I am stating confuses anybody, I suggest adding a copy of this book to your library http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/1882770900

Old 07-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #72
Show Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharrah View Post
If this thread is just "premature" as several have stated, please explain why. What were the right reasons and what are we being warned about? The very basis of the thread is ridiculous. Rodents can't pass pin worms to reptiles. Even if the test comes back positive for rodent pins, and it probably will, so what? These are commonly found in rodents.

Whatever is swimming around in his water bowl could not have been passed on to the snake by feeders, regardless of the source. Any experienced herp vet knows this. Testing the fecal matter of the rodents won't help identify what the OP is dealing with. He needs to identify the organism itself and he needs to have the snake tested, multiple times, using both floats and smears.

If anything I am stating confuses anybody, I suggest adding a copy of this book to your library http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/1882770900
Actually many experienced herp people are misguided. In Kevin McCurley book The Complete Ball Python he states they can get pinworm from feeder rodents. The only way that might happen is if the rodents are eating herps for food and you then feed the rodents to other herps.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #73
Michael Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharrah View Post
If this thread is just "premature" as several have stated, please explain why

If your one of my parents turned on the air conditioner in the house my reptiles are kept because it was, what they thought, was too hot, I'd thank them. then go outside to turn it off because I know better that mid 80's are fine temp wise for my reptiles.

I'm saying he COMPLETELY jumped the gun, but posted in an attempt to WARN THE community of what HE FELT was important or critical, some what similar to people warning other of UFO'S, they honestly believe it to be true, the majority of people know its BS.

All im saying is imho he placed blame on the recent rodents he got, and immeidiatly posted his concerns, ONCE AGAIN a very poor decision, but I doubt he's the first person to jump to conclusions and go to extreme measures

But I'm fighting an uphill battle so ill depart, I apologize if my opinion is off topic and draw's negative feedback I just feel bad when people try to do something good and it back fires.

cheers

Old 07-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #74
Michael Brown
If one of my parents**

long day, I apologize for typo's

Old 07-23-2011, 01:32 AM   #75
Katie.Shinkle
It seems like he was following the advice of his vet (stated that the worms came from the feeders, and could be from the frozen feeders). Yes, premature, but with good intentions, and following the advice of a professional.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:22 AM   #76
outfished
Why didn't your Vet do fecals on the snakes? That doesn't make any sense. That should have been the first thing any Vet would do. Like was mentioned before. You can easily transfer microscopic parasite eggs with your hand while going from one cage to another. I don't believe for one minute you wash your hand after every snake or food item you are feeding.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #77
rcpreis3
I caught up on three pages and dont wanna multi quote everyone so if I miss ur question just PM me and Ill quote and post back on here. Sorry I havent been on much but I work wed-sat all day, and dont get much computer time in the summer when the rest of the family is off of school/work

Correct, my vet told me that it was extremely likely it was from my feeders. I didnt even think of it until she said it. Which is why I threw it up here so fast, im just trying to look out. Ill get the fecals done on the rats as soon as I have my animals medicated, and can get back up to a vet. Anywhere from Monday- next Monday. Ill have them do a necropsy on a rat or two if they think it will help, and if it aint gonna break my wallet.

Yes I religiously wash my hands between all and do have my hands peel from it. Btw my collection is 18. 2 boas and 16 balls.

They didnt do fecals on the snakes because they were able to look at living worms under a microscope. Yes they looked like brown rice and yes most of them floated.

At first it was just a few snakes, so I talked to a local guy who fixed them few up. But they continued to get worms and I noticed them spreading over the weeks. My first boa Ive had for fours years has never shown any signs of worms, health issues or what-not. She is in a seperate room from my breeders cuz shes my pet. None of her supplies come in contact with any of my other reptiles or their supplies but she still got them. The only common factor is the rats.

I honestly wanna be proven wrong and dont want to find any worms in the rats. I got a few hundred dollars worth of rats in my freezer and would hate to go through the trouble of replacing them. I buy in bulk so Ive only had like 3-4 orders to them over the year. I will post all test results when I have them. I entirely understand why u think I jumped the gun but a few people are starting to understand why I did it. If ur still upset about it, Im sorry but nuthin I say will make u happy.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:33 PM   #78
outfished
Are you sure they aren't fruit-carrion fly maggots. Don't think pinworms look like brown rice. A fecal on the snakes should have been done...Mike

Old 07-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #79
Shiari
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BVAT0FI3vW...dGraphic-1.jpg

Is this what the worms looked like?

Old 07-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #80
reticguy76
if they look like rice, im thinkin they are more likely tapeworm segments.

have the vet do an actual fecal, so that they can (or they should) be able to look at the ova and identify it better and more accurately.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!