ReptiCon Show in S.C. was burglarized last night!! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Police Blotter

Notices

Police Blotter General notifications about thefts, breakins or and cases where animals or materials are stolen. Photos of the merchandise taken can be posted to help with recovery.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:49 AM   #11
Neil Gubitz
Lynn.... I understand what you're saying, BUT.... unless you LIVE in the area, and bring your animals HOME at night.... there is a MUCH better chance of you getting ripped off in your hotel, then by leaving them at the show (security or not).... there are those that will FOLLOW you anywhere, and when you least expect it.... BAM!!.... You should be MORE careful about leaving them in a hotel room while you're out to dinner (or whatever), then leaving them at the show, where they are "relatively" safe....

Just a thought....

Neil

Old 07-26-2004, 12:07 PM   #12
Lynn
I understand what you are saying. Once I get to the room I stay put... or one of us goes for food or we just get room service. I not only fear my stuff getting stolen but the temp in the room. I was at a show where they forgot to turn the ac up and there ended up being lots of sick animals. My friend lost alot of her poison dart frogs and another lost most of the spiders. Hopefully my luck will hold. I have not had a problem in nine years but there is always a first time.

Old 07-26-2004, 04:34 PM   #13
bcherps
response to neil

How can you say a hotel room where I am sleeping is less safe than the show room?

I have stayed at over 100 hotels/motels and not once even lost a dollar, however in 2003 I had animals stolen at Tony's show in orlando that was supposedly locked with a security guard!

I know crooks are everywhere and yes you can get jumped/mugged anywhere. However I think my herps are always safer when they are within my reach.

I now pack up 100% of my animals worth more than $20 at everyshow, every night even if it is in violation of thier "vet check" policy. I would rather be booted from the show then have my stock stolen!

On another note, thanks neil for helping out with the incident at the 04 orlando show.

Benjamin Cole

Old 07-26-2004, 06:19 PM   #14
Neil Gubitz
Ben.... you didn't read my response correctly.... I said....

----------------------------------
You should be MORE careful about leaving them in a hotel room while you're out to dinner (or whatever),
----------------------------------

It's ALWAYS safer if you never leave them out of your site, but, if you're planning on going out to dinner, or a movie, or doing some sightseeing.... it's always safer to just leave them at the show.... I can give you a large list of people I know that have been ripped off from their hotel rooms while they were out of their rooms....

That's all I was trying to get across....

With that said.... I HATE THIEVES!!!.... I would (and will) ALWAYS do ANYTHING I CAN to bring them to justice, or point the authorities in the right direction....

Neil

Old 07-26-2004, 07:09 PM   #15
bcherps
to neil

I guess I missed the while your out to dinner part!

My foot hadn't been in my mouth for two or three days so I had to open it again.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:34 PM   #16
GOLDENSERPENT
SAFETY IN THE HOTEL ROOM

This would completely depend upon whom is sharing your room with you!!!
I am truly sorry to hear about all the bad luck that the vendors and the repticon people had, this is getting to be an extremely hard business to make a living at with all the thieves and regulations.
jewell

Old 07-27-2004, 01:19 AM   #17
Neil Gubitz
Jewell.... I know EXACTLY what you mean!!.... lol

Neil

Old 07-27-2004, 07:48 AM   #18
Lucille
Sigh. Someone posted about this theft on the bearded dragon forum on Another Board; and when I started pointing out the importance of overnight security she ARGUED with me!
I really think, what with the expense of tables at these conventions, that all promoters need to have overnight security. Considering the huge financial loss when some of the more well known exhibitors lose even a few animals, there really is no excuse not to do this. And, considering the number of law enforcement professionals that are also reptile enthusiasts, one could easily obtain referrals to qualified security providers.

Old 07-27-2004, 08:45 AM   #19
GOLDENSERPENT
SECURITY

There are alot of game officers and police officers that moonlight as security officers, I am sure that if their superiors or the officers themselves were asked something could be arranged.
Not all of them are our enemy, most of them would probably love to do it, and not for the obvious reason of catching illegal animals(which should not be there to start with) but to help promote and keep the honest herpers safe from the dishonest ones.
just my opinion
Jewell

Old 07-27-2004, 06:56 PM   #20
craig kade
Hotels.

I just wanted to put my .02 in about hotel safety, last year when I went to tinley park show I had $900 stolen from my hotel room. It was not the hotel the show was at. I was gone for an hour and came back and they had let someone else rent the same room I had. They went through my stuff, found my money, then they were stupid enough to rent another room at the same hotel. Needless to say I did get my money back.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!