THEFT AT TAMPA SHOW!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Police Blotter

Notices

Police Blotter General notifications about thefts, breakins or and cases where animals or materials are stolen. Photos of the merchandise taken can be posted to help with recovery.

Old 09-30-2002, 02:58 PM   #1
Spider_Torts
This past weekends was a bad weekend for alot of the vendors. We had a female Brygooi Spider Tortoises stolen from us on Saturday. If any of the per shops in the Tampa area come across a couple of younger kids, 17-20 trying to sell a lone female spider tortoises please contact me
(727-781-7374).  I know I will probably not get her back, but it's worth a try. Thank you again.
Randie DeLise.

Old 09-30-2002, 03:40 PM   #2
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Randie,

We felt so bad when we heard at the show about the theft. I wish you the best of luck in recovering her.  So everyone knows. There were other thefts at the show as well. Mothergecko had a Dumeril's Boa & a Cal King stolen, and a few others I can't remember off the top f my head right now.  Good luck to all in getting their animals back again.

Old 09-30-2002, 03:51 PM   #3
orcutti
I'm sorry to hear about this happening to you. I was at a show once and a 15-16 year old kid took something and walked away right in front of everybody! It was very crowded and it happened so fast and he quickly blended into the crowd. He almost got away with it cause people (including me) standing around were just thinking that he was joking or something. The only way the kid was caught was that the vendor shut down his table and asked a couple of us to watch it for him while he went and waited with security by the door. Sure enough, the kid was calmly walking out with his buddies that he was showing off his new snake to. it's been a while but I think that was Columbus.  Seems like maybe video security would be helpful at these shows. Maybe it would be worth it for a vendor to setup their own minicam on a tripod and keep it focused on the display table.

Old 09-30-2002, 04:24 PM   #4
gila7150
That really sucks! I'm so sorry to hear about that. Maybe it's getting to the point that all vendors will start having to issue receipts and have someone at the door checking receipts as people leave.....how sad.
  I assume their were witnesses since you know their approximate ages. Can you give a description and maybe what they were wearing? Maybe someone reading this will know who they are.
  Good luck in catching these jerks and getting your tortoise back.
   Chris Raden

Old 09-30-2002, 06:31 PM   #5
knreptiles
I tell you this kind of thing gets me fired up.

We had a group of 3 young boys 14-17 try to steal from us in South Carolina last year. They had there s#@% together too.
Two of them would distract you at the opposite end of the table inquiring about something while the third guy would pick up a deli cup, act as if he was looking at the animal inside when he was done he would place it down on the very end of the table on the edge and walk away. Now the second guy would walk away while you were still taking to the first one and grab the cup as he walked by. When they were done ripping you off the first guy thanked you for the info and left. We actually watched them rip someone else off and located a security guard to intervene. When the officer searched him they found one of our geckos as well tucked inside his baggy pants. The best advice I can give is to put everything you can in a locked displays.  
Sorry to hear about your lose.
Nicole Elliser
K&N Reptiles

Old 09-30-2002, 09:27 PM   #6
jusmebabe
I know at the San Mateo in Nor Cal show they check reciepts for everything leaving and nothing is allowed in..

Old 09-30-2002, 09:38 PM   #7
M n R-Reptile
I also attended and found out the following:
Snakes at Sunset- 1 2-3foot laddertail colombian was stolen
Ben Siegel Reptiles-One very light colored adult male bearded dragon
R n R-Reptiles-one female brygoii tortoise
and one more but I do not remember.
I called Neil Gubotz on his "red" phone line and asked him to look out for them. He said hell notify some friends as well.
So if you live in Tampa area please keep an eye out.
Michael Barrera- M n R-Reptiles.com

Old 09-30-2002, 10:22 PM   #8
Mike and Erica @ MotherGecko
Randie and everyone sorry to hear about the losses.  I was told at the show about the Spider Tort incident but hadn't heard about all of the other thefts.  We did lose a Dumerils Boa and a California Kingsnake at the show to some lowlifes.  Unfourtunatly scumbags will always walk the Earth with hard working people and try to take advantage of it.  We purchased a couple nice display cases to keep some of our animals a bit more secure from these loser types.  I would like to thank Doug Barr for the nice displays, they look great!  I would also like to say I think the show was a great success and Tony and Staff did an excellent job.  There was a great turn out and we had a really fun time aside dealing with the lowlife theives.  We may not be able to catch all the thieves, but the ones we do need to pay for all of their actions and then some, as well as be made examples of and activlely be ostersized from the Reptile World entirely.

Old 09-30-2002, 11:06 PM   #9
Spider_Torts
Once again all the good guys come forward for support. I am glad everyone will be on the look out.
Just incase I didn't clarify earlier, the tortoises was a full grown female brygooi spider tortoise. Not a baby.
The kids that got it did have their $#!* together. One kid came over to the other side of the table, and looked like he was really stoned or something. He stared butting in and touching things, including trying to pick up a full grown White and Black tegu. We didn't think anything of it, because we were already busy with about 10 customers at the same time. Then the kid just said thanks and took off. We never saw the other one, or two, but the one looked like half the kids at the show. He had a hat on so we didn't see the color hair. A black shirt, and tan long shorts, but dressed "freakish." There may have been more than just two kids, but not sure. If anyone has seen any kids like that. I do think that the same kids did hit all of the other tables, because they targeted the most expensive things, with each animal worth at least $250.
The Spiders weren't in an open tub. They were in a 29 gallon, with a smaller tank covering half the top, and a dome light on the other half. They took the tortoises with out making a sound from anything that was on the top. They were good.
Thanks again for everyone's support.
Randie DeLise- R & R Reptiles.

Old 10-01-2002, 02:52 AM   #10
Julliet
Hey Randie,
I am sorry for your loss. I live on the east coast but if I hear of anything I will certainly let you know. On a brighter note... I enjoyed the show alot and was great to see Rob ( RK reptiles) and to meet Mike from Mothergecko. Of course it is always great to see Ben and Stacey. I hope that things like this can be dealt with in someway because I would definitely want to attend the show next time around.

Alison Crews

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!