Sabres legend Rick Martin dies in crash - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
SamanthaJane13
Unhappy Sabres legend Rick Martin dies in crash

Updated: Sunday, 13 Mar 2011, 5:27 PM EDT
Published : Sunday, 13 Mar 2011, 2:56 PM EDT

* Posted by: Kellie Mazur

CLARENCE, N.Y. (WIVB) - News 4 has learned that Sabres legend and member of the "French Connection" line, Rick Martin, was killed in a car crash Sunday.

State Police have released the following information:

"New York State Police stationed in Clarence responded to a report of a motor vehicle accident on Main Street just west of Salt Road in the Town of Clarence.

Upon arriving at the scene, Troopers located a 2011 Buick Lacrosse with front end damage on the south side of the roadway.

The sole occupant of the vehicle was identified as Richard L. Martin, 59 year old Akron, New York resident and former Hall of Fame member of the Buffalo Sabres hockey team.

Martin was still seated in the driver's seat and unresponsive upon the Troopers arrival at the scene.

A trooper along with two citizens that had stopped to render aid, performed CPR on Martin until Emergency Medical Personnel arrived at the scene.

Martin was transported to Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital where he was pronounced deceased at 12:48pm.

The preliminary investigation based on physical evidence at the scene and eyewitness account reveals that Martin was traveling west bound on Main Street prior to drifting from lane, crossing the east bound lane and on to the south side shoulder of the roadway.

Martin's vehicle struck a utility pole and then a parking station prior to coming to rest against a tree.

The cause of the accident is unknown at this time and is currently under investigation."

Martin was drafted 5th overall by the Buffalo Sabres in the 1971 NHL Amateur Draft after a junior career with the Montreal Junior Canadiens of the Ontario Hockey Association (OHA).

Martin played 685 career NHL games, scoring 384 goals and 317 assists for 701 points.

The Buffalo Sabres have issued the following statement:

"The Buffalo Sabres are saddened to announce the passing of Buffalo Sabres Hall of Famer and member of the famed French Connection, Rick Martin. Rick was not only one of the greatest players in franchise history, he was a great friend to the Sabres organization and the entire community. The thoughts and prayers of the entire Sabres organization go out to his wife Mikey and their two sons, Corey and Josh."

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/local/p...ence-car-crash

RIP, Rick!
Our condolences to his family, friends, and team-mates!
LET'S GO, BUF-FA-LO!

Old 03-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
SamanthaJane13
Fans mourn the loss of Rick Martin

Updated: Sunday, 13 Mar 2011, 8:01 PM EDT
Published : Sunday, 13 Mar 2011, 6:43 PM EDT

* Michele McClintick
* Posted by: Kellie Mazur

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - Buffalo Sabres Hall of Famer and member of the famed French Connection, Rick Martin, has died.

It's believed Martin suffered a medical emergency while driving on Main Street near Salt Road in Clarence.

His vehicle then struck a pole.

The 59 year old Sabres legend was pronounced dead at Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital.

The news of Martin's passing spread quickly among fans and former colleagues.

News 4 only spoke with one person who hadn't heard the news of Rick Martin. Martin is certainly being remembered and a moment of silence took place just before the puck drop.

State Police in Clarence say it happened on Main Street in Clarence on Sunday afternoon.

59 year old Rick Martin was slumped over the wheel just before the crash, according to witnesses who stopped to perform CPR to help before first responders arrived.

State Police said, "He kind of drifted across the eastbound lane onto the shoulder, striking a utility pole and then striking a parking stanction."

Martin was taking to Millard Fillmore Hospital where he was pronounced dead. He was only a few miles from his home. Although he was reportedly headed westbound.

No one else was inured. Martin's dog was with him.

"We all know Rick, most of us golf with him. He is a great guy for Clarence, a great guy for western New York. He was an icon, added State Police.

The news traveled quickly throughout western New York and most hockey fans at HSBC Arena already knew before coming to see Sunday night's game.

One fan said, "It certainly is a sad day, they were just trying to get him back into the fold here. It's a shame. The French Connection is no more then."

"With the new ownership and everyone being so happy. And now it's just a sad day in Buffalo," added another fan.

Mark Weiz wore his #7 jersey for a chance to tribute the hockey great.

Weiz said, "He was the first 50 goal scorer in the history of the team and probably the greatest player this team has ever had. I was really bummed out about Rico."

You can imagine a lot of those French Connection memories are flooding in now for fans.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/sabre...of-rick-martin

Old 03-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
SamanthaJane13
Richard Martin, 1951 -- 2011
Death of beloved French Connection star stuns teammates, fans and friends

Rick Martin became part of Buffalo lore because of his athletic talents. He was one-third of the most fabled line in Sabres history, and his scoring ability created fans and admirers.

It was away from the rink, however, where Martin really made an impression on Western New Yorkers. The fun-loving Quebec native took time to talk with fans when he played in the 1970s, and the long chats continued after his retirement, when he chose to stay in the area. He was quick with a joke, often told in the relaxed setting of a tavern, golf course or autograph session.

If there was a party, Martin was usually the life of it.

That was the Martin that Mike Robitaille chose to remember Sunday while mourning the death of his former teammate. Martin died Sunday afternoon at age 59 while driving in Clarence, a sudden death that brought tears to eyes throughout HSBC Arena and the area.

"What are we doing being so emotional when what he stands for is to have fun and laugh?" Robitaille said prior to the Sabres' home game against Ottawa. "Man, we should have the biggest party in the world for Richard. If he was in this situation, he'd have it for himself."

Martin will indeed be remembered as an all-around fun guy and talented player, but his absence will be sadly observed at future gatherings featuring the Sabres.

When new owner Terry Pegula took over the team Feb. 23, he made it clear the past was just as important as the future. Martin and fellow "French Connection" linemates Gilbert Perreault and Rene Robert greeted Pegula at center ice for the owner's first game, and Pegula promised they'd be together for years.

That reunion turned out to be Martin's final appearance.

"We had a lot of plans in the future for these guys," Pegula said. "Now we've got an empty chair, but it will be there."

Martin died in a one-car accident that was reported at 12:14 p.m., State Police Capt. Steven A. Nigrelli said at a news conference in the State Police barracks in Clarence. Martin, an Akron resident, was driving west on Main Street when he apparently suffered a medical emergency, Nigrelli said.

Martin's 2001 Buick LaCrosse sedan drifted into the eastbound lane and off the road before smashing into a utility pole and a stanchion in a town-owned parking lot across the street from Clarence Bowling Academy, just west of Salt Road, according to police and fire officials.

Martin didn't strike any other vehicles, and the only other occupant in his sedan was his dog, a German shepherd, which survived the accident. Witnesses told investigators that Martin was slumped over the wheel and his eyes appeared closed as he drifted off the road.

Martin was wearing his seat belt, and his airbags deployed, Nigrelli said.

Two passers-by stopped to assist Martin, who was unresponsive, and began performing CPR on him through the front driver's side window, which shattered during the accident.

Trooper Ronald Nero, the first emergency responder on the scene, and the passers-by pulled Martin out of the vehicle and continued to try to save his life. Paramedics from the Clarence Fire Department and Twin City Ambulance soon responded and transported Martin in a Fire Department ambulance to Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital in Amherst, said Clarence Fire Chief Marshall Helms.

Martin was declared dead at the hospital at 12:48 p.m.

The cause of the accident remains under investigation. A full autopsy, including toxicology screening, will be performed. Nigrelli was asked whether Martin had a heart attack.

"Not being a medical professional I couldn't, representing the State Police, say that officially," he said. "All indications are that it could possibly be a pre-accident medical emergency that caused this."

The shock reverberated through Sabreland.

"This is going to be tough for everybody in Buffalo," said Robert, the French Connection's right winger. "I don't know where they're having the funeral, but a lot of people are going to show up."

Said Perreault, whose name and number hangs on a banner alongside those of Martin and Robert in the HSBC Arena rafters: "At least we were together one more time. ... We didn't see each other much the past 20 years, but you don't forget all the years that we were together.

"Rick was the guy with all the jokes. He was funny around people. I'm sure the people really enjoyed his presence."

That was evident in the case of Kenmore's Paula Pierce. The 49-year-old, clad in a white No. 7 Martin jersey, fought back tears in the HSBC Arena atrium upon being informed of Martin's death.

"I've loved that man since I was 9 years old," Pierce said. "I remember one time at the Sabres Carnival I got to sit on his lap and have my picture taken with him. I remember my knees were shaking.

"The other two, they signed their names, eh, whatever. He always just talked. He always had something to say. He just seemed more personable."

Larry Playfair, another former teammate and president of the Sabres alumni association, said Martin was one of the most requested players for charity appearances. Martin nearly always delivered.

"Whatever he could do for the community, he did," Playfair said. "Most of you folks know that. You've seen him somewhere along the way."

Seymour Knox IV, son of the late former Sabres owner, expressed shock over Martin's death, saying he had followed the star winger since he came to training camp as a rookie in 1971.

"He always had a great sense of humor. He was a strong member of the Sabres alumni after his retirement. And, another side of him is that he was a successful businessman after hockey," Knox said.

Like others who knew Martin, Knox also noted how good a golfer he was -- both right- and left-handed.

"He was really great at it. You would always see him with a cigar in his mouth. He had great jokes, too," he said.

"It was way before his time, and he will be missed," Knox said.

Troopers are among those taking Martin's death hard, Nigrelli said.

"He supports law enforcement. We've known Rick. Most of us golf with him," Nigrelli said, recalling Martin's habit of leaving behind his cigar ashes on golf course greens. "He's a great guy. He's a great guy for Clarence, great guy for Western New York. And as a kid growing up, he's an icon."

One of Martin's favorite haunts, the Clarence Grille, is located about one mile west of the accident scene. Martin was a regular at the bar and restaurant, formerly known as Finlock's, and employees and patrons were struggling to absorb the news.

"This was his hangout," owner Shari Martell said. "This is where he came, and he was just a regular guy here."

Martin was hardly regular on the ice, where he scored 382 goals in 681 games with the Sabres from 1971 to 1981. He scored 52 goals in 1974-75 to help lead the Sabres to the Stanley Cup finals, where they lost to Philadelphia. Martin was inducted into the Sabres' Hall of Fame in 1989.

"He had this desire in his gut to score," said Robitaille, the Sabres' television analyst. "Scoring was everything to him -- everything."

Martin is survived by his wife, Mikey, and their two sons, Corey and Josh.

"We lost a heck of a guy," said Sabres coach Lindy Ruff, who played with Martin and hired him as an assistant for one season. "He was a great person. I think anybody that crossed his path would say the same. It's a tough one to take."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle366076.ece

Old 03-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
SamanthaJane13
Rick Martin: A connection lost forever

Rene Robert said it felt like he was trapped in a bad dream. At about 5:30 a.m. Sunday, the former Sabres star was awakened by a telephone call in Florida, where he was visiting his daughter. His brother, Real, the eldest of his nine siblings and an accomplished musician, had died of a heart attack in Montreal.

Robert was still absorbing that bad news when he got another staggering call early that afternoon. Rick Martin, his former linemate on the famed French Connection, had suffered a fatal heart attack while driving in his car in Clarence.

"I shouldn't have woken up this morning," Robert said. "First my brother. Then my left winger. I lose Rico. I tell you what. This is going to be tough for everybody in Buffalo. I don't know where they're having the funeral, but a lot of people are going to show up."

Robert felt as if he'd lost two brothers in one day. When you play alongside a man for eight years, sharing the same triumphs and failures, you become like family. Robert, Martin and Gil Perreault were hockey brethren, linked forever as a line, iconic and inseparable in the memory of hockey fans.

Losing Martin, the greatest pure goal scorer in Sabres history, is a death in the family of Buffalo hockey. It comes at an especially emotional time for Sabres fans, whose hopes have been soaring since Terry Pegula bought the team three weeks ago and declared that winning the Stanley Cup was his sole driving ambition.

Part of that promise involved restoring the team's proud traditions and embracing its past. At his first news conference 20 days ago, Pegula looked to his right, where the ex-players were sitting, and asked "Where's Perreault?" When he saw Perreault, the new owner began crying.

Today, a legion of Sabres fans mourns the loss of Martin, a rare combination of athletic ability and charm. The people who knew Martin best will tell you his gift for scoring goals was matched only by his talent for laughter and good fun.

"Oh, yeah," Perreault said from his home in Victoriaville. "Rico and his jokes. He knew about 2,000 jokes, and he remembered them all, too. Let me put it this way: You'll never be able to replace him on the golf course. He was a joy to play with, because there was never a dull moment. I'm going to miss him dearly."

Martin was a wondrous talent who scored 44 goals as a rookie and averaged 47 goals over his first five seasons. He touched the community with his charity work and his lively personality in charity golf outings. Apparently, he didn't know how to say no.

"Oh, God. Most everything I asked him to do, he did for free," said Larry Playfair, the longtime head of the Sabres Alumni. "He was the life of the party. Everybody wanted him in the tournament, and everybody wanted to play with him.

"Some guys say, 'How much? What are they paying?,'" Playfair said. "He never once asked that. If it was a paying gig, he would take the money. But if he could do it, he'd do it."

Martin had disagreements with the team through the years. He sued the Sabres, claiming they made him play hurt. For years, the relationship between the team and the French Connection was strained. But Martin came back. When Pegula took over, the organization convinced Robert to come back, too.

Before his first game as owner, Pegula was introduced at center ice. To his surprise, Robert, Martin and Perreault skated out to welcome him. Three weeks later, one-third of the connection is gone.

"It's too bad," Robert said. "Pegula had just put us together. He told us that night, 'Now you're going to be here until you die.' I tell you, I'm speechless. When you play that long with two guys, they're family. At least there was time to bring us all back together one more time."

Pegula said Martin was the most outwardly happy of the famous trio. He said Martin, Robert and Perreault were like a bunch of giddy kindergartners on the evening of Feb. 23. Martin was especially encouraged by the change in ownership. He and his wife, Mikey, had planned to attend Sunday's game at HSBC Arena.

It was an emotional time Sunday at the Arena.

About an hour before the game, some of Martin's former teammates spoke with the media. Lindy Ruff talked about being in awe of Martin as a rookie. He said Martin was much stronger than people realized.

"I found out more playing against him," said Mike Robitaille, the veteran broadcaster who played for three years with Martin. "I remember he hit the blue line and he was going to find a way to put it in the net, one way or another.

"He'd go over the top of you, down you. He'd grab you, pull you. You couldn't control him. And he had this ... desire to score." Robitaille's voice cracked at that word "desire."

"That was what made him so great," said former Sabres color man Jim Lorentz, who also played with and against Martin. "It was something he worked on. He would practice for hours shooting the puck."

One time, a Sabres employee watched Martin shoot pucks from the blue line near the boards in practice. Martin wanted to see how many times he could hit the post. He did it eight times in 10 shots.

Lorentz spent hours with Martin golfing and fishing. He said Martin was a constant tinkerer who would change the loft of his golf clubs. He'd ask Martin which club he used on a hole, only to find later that it had no bearing on his own.

"I never asked him again," Lorentz said with a laugh. "Rico was such a wonderful person, never in a bad mood. He was one of the best teammates I ever had. He made everybody feel better. He just loved life."

Rick Dudley, who had two tours as a Sabre and later became the coach, remembered Martin walking out of airport bathrooms with 100 feet of toilet paper dragging behind. Playfair said Martin had a knack for keeping his teammates loose. He said Martin did imitations of Dudley and Lee Fogolin.

"When he did that, he knew it was time to get us laughing," Playfair said. "Before a big game, we'd all be giggling."

Martin was a fierce competitor, though. Dudley remembers the time when Flyers tough guy Ed Van Impe speared Martin. The next time down the ice, Martin fired a shot at Van Impe's head, barely missing him from 10 feet. Eventually, Van Impe got the message. Playfair remembers Martin diving to block a shot late in a charity hockey game.

Dudley considered Martin a cocky, immature kid at first. When he came back from the WHA, he saw a different player. "The truth is, a lot of us change," Dudley said. "Rico was a big star right off the back, and he became a great teammate."

A great teammate. A great scorer. A great guy to have in your foursome on a hot summer afternoon. That was Martin. A lot of Sabres fans were wiping tears away Sunday, saying "You were my hero."

"Why are we being so emotional, when what he stands for is to have fun and laugh?" Robitaille said. "We should have the biggest party in the world for Richard. If he was in this situation, he'd have it for himself."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle366356.ece

Old 03-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
SamanthaJane13
Sabres win one for Martin
Ennis nets pair as Senators fall

Paul Gaustad knew a lot of people in Sabreland were hurting Sunday following the death of team legend Rick Martin. Gaustad figured, aside from Martin's family, the Buffalo coaching staff might be grieving most. Lindy Ruff played with Martin and has been his friend, golf buddy and co-worker for 32 years. Martin spent time as an assistant on Ruff's coaching staff in 2003.

So while Gaustad's teammates were at one end of the HSBC Arena ice celebrating a 6-4 victory over Ottawa, the center skated to the opposite end to retrieve the game puck. It was presented to the coaching staff to bring a few smiles on an otherwise sad day.

"It was for Rico," Gaustad said. "It's a tough loss for the Sabres. I thought we responded well to it, but it's just a sad day for the Sabres."

The Sabres, playing their first home game since Feb. 26, skated to center ice following the victory and raised their sticks toward Martin's banner in the rafters in a sign of tribute and condolence.

"It was important for us to do that," forward Tyler Ennis said. "He was an unbelievable player, one of the best Sabres to ever play, so we just had to honor him."

The victory moved the Sabres back into seventh place in the Eastern Conference. Martin was supposed to be in attendance before dying Sunday afternoon while driving in Clarence. The Sabres Hall of Famer, one of six players to have his number retired by the team, was 59.

"Obviously, a sad day," Ruff said, "but I told the team Rico would've wanted the team to go out and win one and want us to go out and have fun during the game. I just told them it would be nice to win one for Rico."

Buffalo won it by outscoring the Senators, falling one goal shy of matching Martin's uniform number (seven). One of the tallies made Ruff remember Martin, the French Connection winger with an unforgettable shot.

Nathan Gerbe skated into the Ottawa zone and unleashed a rocket. The puck soared over the glove of Curtis McElhinney and sailed just under the crossbar to give Buffalo a 5-3 lead.

"Gerbe's shot was a mirror image of how Rico scored," Ruff said. "You don't see those very often. As soon as it went in I thought the same thing: It was just vintage Richard Martin right there."

Said Gerbe: "I'm pretty happy to score that, and hopefully he's smiling."

The Sabres scored at least six goals for the seventh time this season, including the fifth time at home. It had been a long time since they'd scored any goals at home. Buffalo ended a seasonlong seven-game road trip Saturday with a 4-3 loss in Toronto. The win over the Senators was the first victory in front of the home folks since Feb. 25, and the 18,690 fans enjoyed it despite the off-ice sadness.

"It's a big bounceback for us," said Gaustad, who had a goal and assist. "We don't want to lose two in a row, especially at home, so it's a big win for us."

Ennis had his second career two-goal game, and the rookie tied a personal best with points in three straight games (two goals, two assists). Defenseman Mike Weber matched his career high with three points (all assists), while goaltender Jhonas Enroth set personal marks for saves (34) and shots faced (38).

"The kid has done a pretty good job of making big saves in timely parts of the game for us," Ruff said.

The Sabres finished the game without forward Jochen Hecht, who suffered a recurrence of the upper-body injury that sidelined him four times earlier this month. Buffalo started without defenseman Steve Montador, who was a healthy scratch after a minus-2 outing in Toronto.

"Good on the offensive side, he's had a little bit of a tough time on the defensive side," Ruff said. "We'd really like to keep everybody going. It was not an easy decision to make, and they never are. We've got seven guys that have been playing hard for us."

The Sabres planned to take today off and will return to the ice Tuesday when they host ninth-place Carolina. The Hurricanes sit four points behind Buffalo and the New York Rangers.

Maybe by the next game, some of the sadness caused by Martin's death will have left Sabreland.

"I'm sure he would've been proud and smiling that the Sabres won," said equipment manager Rip Simonick, who has been with the team from the start and remained close with Martin and the French Connection. "Maybe down the road there will be a line better, but I doubt it."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle366348.ece

Old 03-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
SamanthaJane13
Autopsy determines Martin died of heart disease

BUFFALO, N.Y. – An autopsy performed on Rick Martin determined that the former Buffalo Sabres star forward died of hypertensive heart disease.

New York State Police issued the findings of the autopsy performed Monday, a day after Martin was found unresponsive after the car he was driving left the road and struck a utility pole in suburban Buffalo.

Dr. Diane Vertes conducted the autopsy at Buffalo's Erie County Medical Center, and ruled the cause of death to be Hypertensive Arteriosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease, which is related to high blood pressure and clogged arteries.

The 59-year-old Martin was a member of the Sabres' famed French Connection in the 1970s, playing left wing alongside center Gilbert Perreault and Rene Robert.

Martin broke in with the Sabres in 1971, and spent the next 10-plus seasons in Buffalo before completing his career with Los Angeles during the 1981-82 season. His 382 goals with the Sabres, still rank second on the team list.

After retiring, the Quebec-born Martin eventually settled in western New York.

In lieu of a funeral, the Sabres, in coordination with Martin's family, announced that a public memorial service for the player will be held March 24 at HSBC Arena.

The family is asking that donations in Martin's memory can be made to Compass House, a Buffalo shelter that provides counseling for runaway and homeless youth.

Martin is survived by his wife Mikey and their two sons, Corey and Josh.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110314/...RvcHN5ZGV0ZXI-

Old 03-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
SamanthaJane13
Legendary Sabre Rick Martin died of heart attack

Updated: Monday, 14 Mar 2011, 5:40 PM EDT
Published : Monday, 14 Mar 2011, 5:40 PM EDT

* George Richert
* Posted by: Eli George

CLARENCE, N.Y. (WIVB) - One day after his tragic death, the autopsy on Rick Martin has been released. The legendary member of the French Connection leaves behind a wife, two children along with a legacy on and off the ice.

The autopsy from ECMC has determined Rick Martin died of Hypertensive Arteriosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease, which essentially amounts to a heart attack.

Cheryl Klemenz said, "I just think it's very sad the way that it all transpired."

At the scene of the crash on Main Street near Salt Road, a spontaneous memorial is forming.

Michael Roy said, "I just wanted to come down and take a look where we lost Rick. He was an acquaintance of mine, not a friend, but he treated me like a friend."

The Sabres Hall of Famer suffered a major heart attack as he drove down Main Street just after noon Sunday.

Dwight Grove said, "And I didn't know that was #7 that went by me."

In his Sabres jacket, Grove says he saw Rick Martin drive by moments before the crash.

"Went right by my window, my passenger window, and he was holding the steering wheel, but he was laid way back and his eyes were almost like closed, and I was saying to myself, "How could he possibly see where he's going?" Really didn't find out who was in the car 'til I watched Channel 4," said Grove.

Lynn DiAgostino said, "He was one of the guys who would actually talk to us."

DiAgostino used to work at the Aud, and his this story about a pool party in the 1980's.

DiAgostino recalled, "My daughter was a swimmer from the time she was 3-months-old, so she could swim. She was two and a half, she got up on the diving board and she jumped into the water and Rick Martin yelled, "The baby! The baby!" And he jumped into the pool fully clothed to go rescue her and he couldn't find her because she swam over to the side of the pool. So we we're all laughing hysterically and he didn't get mad at us, he thought it was kind of funny afterwards, too. But we tell the story, always. He's my daughter's hero."

Martin was pronounced dead at Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital. Martin's family and the Buffalo Sabres announced Monday a public memorial service will be held on Thursday, March 24 at 11 a.m. at the HSBC Arena. More details about the event will be announced later this week.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/sabre...f-heart-attack

Old 03-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
SamanthaJane13
Public memorial service for Rick Martin
Updated: Monday, 14 Mar 2011, 3:57 PM EDT
Published : Monday, 14 Mar 2011, 3:57 PM EDT

* Posted by: Eli George

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - A public memorial service for Buffalo Sabres Hall of Famer and member of the famed French Connection Rick Martin is being planned at HSBC Arena.

The family of Rick Martin and the Buffalo Sabres announced on Monday that a public memorial service is being planned for Thursday, March 24 at 11 a.m. The Sabres will announce more details about the event later this week.

If anyone wishes to make a donation in Rick Martin's memory, they can direct it to Compass House, 1451 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14209.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/sabre...or-Rick-Martin

Old 03-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
SamanthaJane13
Sabres Nation mourns loss of #7
Updated: Monday, 14 Mar 2011, 12:47 PM EDT
Published : Monday, 14 Mar 2011, 12:47 PM EDT

* Melissa Holmes
* Posted by: Emily Lenihan

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - Rick Martin and the French Connection hold a special place in the memories of Sabres fans.

Whether you knew him personally, or felt like you knew him from watching him on the ice, everyone who's ever watched Buffalo hockey in the 70's has a memory of Rick Martin.

As Sabres Nation mourned Sunday, they also paid tribute to their beloved Rico. Before the game against Ottowa, a moment of silence. You could hear a pin drop in HSBC arena. During the game the players wore Rick Martin's #7 and a Flur-De-Lys on their helmets. After the game they raised their sticks to his retired jersey.

Those who knew him best shared their memories.

"There wasn't anybody who could shoot the pucks like Rico could," said Sabres coach Lindy Ruff. "We lost a heck of a guy."

Martin's former teammate Mike Robitaille said, " I didn't realize how good a hockey player he was until I played against him. And I found out how much fire he had in him."

Sabres Equipment Manager Rip Simonick said, "He was an innovator in hockey. He worked at everything. He worked at his sticks. He worked at his golf game. He worked at his friendship. That's the way I remember Rick."

On the ice, the famed member of the French Connection was a legend. Martin's 382 goals are second in team history. His 21 hat tricks are first. Off the ice, the 59 year old was just an all around great guy.

Robitaille said, "What he stands for is to have fun and laugh. Man. We should have the biggest party in the world for Richard."

Martin's final time taking the ice was fittingly with the French Connection all together. They greeted new owner Terry Pegula at center ice last month, honoring the team's past as the Sabres begin a new era.

Pegula said, "We had plans a lot of plans in the future for these guys, and I guess we'll just have an empty chair around. But it'll be there."

Robitaille said, "God Bless you, Richard. We love you."

Funeral arrangements have not yet been finalized. But once we learn when and where Sabres fans can pay their respects to Rick Martin, we'll be sure bring it to you on News 4 and WIVB.com.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/sabre...urns-loss-of-7

Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
SamanthaJane13
Autopsy reveals cause of Martin's death
Updated: Monday, 14 Mar 2011, 12:53 PM EDT
Published : Monday, 14 Mar 2011, 11:46 AM EDT

* Posted by: Emily Lenihan

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - Information released by State Police confirms famed French Connection member Rick Martin died of a heart attack Sunday, while driving in Clarence.

His vehicle struck a pole on Main Street near Salt Road.

The 59-year-old Sabres legend was pronounced dead at Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital.

The release reads:

"On March 14, 2011, an autopsy was performed on Richard L. Martin at the Erie County Medical Center.

Dr. Diane Vertes ruled the cause of Mr. Martin's death to be from Hypertensive Arteriosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease (HAS CVD).

Mr. Martin was a 59 year old Akron, New York resident and a former member of the NHL's Buffalo Sabres. "

Martin was pronounced dead Sunday afternoon, after his vehicle crashed on Main Street in Clarence.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/sabre...-Martins-death

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!