Animal rights groups- friend or foe of pet owners? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

View Poll Results: Are animal rights groups friends or foes of pet owners?
Definitely friends- AR groups have had a positive impact on pet ownership. 1 1.64%
Could be both- it really depends on which organization we're speaking of. 14 22.95%
Definitely foes. Animal rights groups have had a negative impact on pet ownership. 45 73.77%
I'm not sure, or I need more information. 1 1.64%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Hypancistrus
Animal rights groups- friend or foe of pet owners?

Just wondering what everyone's take on this is. It is a topic that has been of immense interest to me for sometime. Please feel free to explain your answer as throughly as you like in a post on thread.

The Question: Do you think animal rights group's should be considered friends or foes of pet owners?

Examples of American animal rights groups include PETA, Animal Liberation Front (ALF), and the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS- the nat'l grouo, not your local/state humane society)

Here is some info on the difference between animal rights and animal welfare- for those who don't know. If you don't know, please read before voting.

The difference between the animal rights and animal welfare movements.

Edited to add: If anyone from Europe or the UK could post a list of sample animal rights groups from your area, I'd appreciate it. It would help people from other countries to vote.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Dennis Hultman
...foe

Old 08-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
hhmoore
agreed - foe

Old 08-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
shrap
Whack job borderline terrorist hypocritical self serving have no right to even begin trying to dictate what I can do in my own home foe.

Yep, that about covers it.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
Stardust
I voted foe. There are some areas where they get involved in that I like. An example would be pitbull fights but the cons far outway the pros and in some cases they can be down right embarrassing to the animal lovers of the world.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
techgirl
Definitely FOE!!

Old 08-05-2007, 10:29 PM   #7
IloveSnakes1234
I said both because I bet there might be some Animal Rights group that cares more about actual animal cruelty than pet ownership and stupid stuff.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:52 PM   #8
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveSnakes1234
I said both because I bet there might be some Animal Rights group that cares more about actual animal cruelty than pet ownership and stupid stuff.
Then you need to learn the difference between Animal Rights and Animal Welfare groups, because by definition animal rights groups are, without exception, our enemies.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:25 AM   #9
ravensgait
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
Whack job borderline terrorist hypocritical self serving have no right to even begin trying to dictate what I can do in my own home foe.

Yep, that about covers it.
Have to go with Sammy's description except to add that some are not borderline terrorist groups some are listed as Domestic Terrorist groups by the FBI.

Here's a quote taken from a CNN story(link if you want to read more of it http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/24/sch...umn/index.html )

""Consider the words of Jerry Vlasak, a physician who is a well-known activist in the animal advocacy movement in Los Angeles. He said he's not a member of ALF, but makes it his mission to publicize their actions. To Vlasak, anyone who does testing on live animals is a "vivisector."

------------
""Vlasak made some incendiary comments at an animal rights conference in 2003. "I think there is a use for violence in our movement," Vlasak was reported as saying.
He called violence morally acceptable at times. "If vivisectors were being killed, I think it would give other vivisectors pause. If there were prominent vivisectors being assassinated, there would be a trickle-down effect ... strictly from a fear and intimidation factor, that would be an effective action."

"You wouldn't need to see too many assassinations" before vivisection declined, he said.

The FBI admits it has had a hard time penetrating ALF and ELF. Actions are usually taken by small groups of people, acting autonomously, and e-mailing or faxing results to people like Vlasak, who publicize the results.

The movement prides itself on this sort of independent cell structure and the lack of central leadership. ""
--------------------------------------------------------

These people want to free all animals from what they see as Slavery by Us!!! and have and will kill people to do so. So friend or foe??? Shouldn't take more than a micro second to figure that one out. Lots of info out there on these nut jobs you just have to look. If you've ever given any support to these groups yeah even PETA, then you've done this to yourself and hurt the rest of us while doing so... Randy

Old 08-06-2007, 12:48 PM   #10
IloveSnakes1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
Then you need to learn the difference between Animal Rights and Animal Welfare groups, because by definition animal rights groups are, without exception, our enemies.
Fine, I'll change my vote then!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!