Carnivorous Plants - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Flora > Flora General Discussions

Notices

Flora General Discussions This will cover anything and everything you all wish to discuss about plants.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #31
WebSlave
Well, that would be a non starter if I would have to manage the trays with water every day or three. If I can't go away for a week or so at a stretch without them dying, they will just have to go to plant heaven.

If that tub tends to dry out quickly, then this whole thing will just be a bust anyway. I guess a lot will depend on the frequency of rains this time of year. May tends to be the driest month here, then moving into Summer which tends to be dry but with widely scattered flooding. April has had more rain than typical, so I'm hoping for the best.

I would like to grow these things, but not prepared to dedicate my life to it. Heck, I had quite enough of that with the corn snakes for close to 30 years. One of the reasons I decided to retire the reptiles was because Connie and I were hog tied down by that stuff, so I'm certainly not going to allow PLANTS to do the same thing.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #32
WebSlave
Just got in a few more plants to play with. Got an assortment of 7 flytraps, but only 2 sundews. Wish I had gotten a few more sundews, especially the thread types. Oh well, I'll see how these all do for me and go from there.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #33
WebSlave
Well, I think I'm doing better with the sundews than I am with the flytraps. The flytraps don't seem to actually be taking the full sun as well as I was led to believe. I put the new ones out to catch full morning sun and be shaded in the afternoon, but the morning sun burned some of them pretty badly.

The sundews out in my mini-bog seem to be doing just fine in full sun nearly all day long. One of them is getting a lot of red color to it and flowering. I haven't put the two newer ones out there as I was afraid they might get damaged by the sun.

I've got the flytraps sitting on the porch to catch some brief dappled sun in the morning, hoping they will bounce back. Maybe they just need to be better acclimated before tossing them into full sun.

Here's pics of the two original flytraps that are out in the mini-bog exposed to full sun most of the day.

I'm leaving them there so I can see what happens. Maybe they'll bounce back and the new growth will be better able to withstand the sunlight.

Here's a pic of the mini-bog Connie and I set up. Nothing fancy, to be sure.

The two sundews there look like they are doing just fine, I guess..

Of the newer flytraps that got burned from that half day of full sun, these look the worse for wear.

Of course the largest of the bunch was one that got really zapped by the sunlight. But hopefully they will bounce back for me.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #34
Gordon c. Snelling
They did indeed get a bit burned but they look as if they should come back given some TLC, the flowering Drosera also looks a bit over exposed but nowhere nears as bad. The second elongate Drosera looks like D. adelae.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #35
WebSlave
Yeah, maybe I should try to propagate some from seed to see if that will work out a bit better. Perhaps these greenhouse raised plants are a bit more fragile than I had hoped for.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #36
WebSlave
Well, I went and put a piece of fairly wide meshed burlap over top of the plants in my mini-bog to try to filter the sunlight a bit. I may move a couple of the others into the bogette to see how they fare there. Got the newer ones on the porch to just catch a bit of morning sunlight, but they still look pretty puny from their short stint in FULL sun.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #37
WebSlave
Well, I'm not real crazy about this perlite stuff I'm using with the insectivorous plants in my mini-bog. We got a good amount of rain yesterday, and apparently my drain holes aren't doing the job and the water level got up higher than I had hoped for in the tub. And that darn perlite junk apparently floats to the surface.

So all that while crap got stuck all in the sundew traps and made a heck of a mess of them. Also got some into a few of the venus fly traps. I used a water bottle to try to spray the perlite off of the plants, but only was partially successful. Two of the fly traps shut on the perlite when the water spray evidently triggered them.

Guess I need to change something in the way I am doing this. This evidently isn't working out as well as I had hoped.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #38
Gordon c. Snelling
I was never a big fan of perlite for this very reason. I either used pure sphagnum moss or a 50/50 mix of peat and 20 grit silica sand.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #39
WebSlave
Yeah, I see that now.... I'm going to be putting a second tub in the ground and using a mix of peat moss and sand in that one. I'll pull the plants out of the above tub and rinse them off and set them into the new tub.

I also drilled more holes to drain excess water so it will run off faster.

Does anyone use vermiculite along with peat for these plants?

Old 06-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #40
Gordon c. Snelling
I am sure a few do, but I do not know anyone currently who does. Certain groups want a bit more drainage, such as Mexican Pinguicula and it works well for them. However those are species you generally don't grow outdoors. Only in a greenhouse or indoors under lights where the perlite does not have that issue. In my drier southern California outdoor environment I needed a heavier moisture retaining mix which was the reason I went the route I did.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!