Changes addressing the ad bumping problem.. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:47 AM   #11
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Each ad you bump/highlight is independent of the others, and the clock starts ticking for each ad you activate in that manner. The 30 day countdown is relevant to EACH ad separately, and this isn't a group time limit whereby at the first of the month all ads are cleared and the clock resets to 30 days. It is 30 days for EACH and EVERY ad you activate in this manner.
Quote:
If I recall correctly how my programmer explained it back when he implemented this code, you get 30 highlight/bumps TOTAL in a 30 month period. So you can either bump 30 ads one time each, or you can bump the same ad 30 times. Or any combination of the two strategies as long as the TOTAL number of bumps comes to 30.

please ask him... cause now Im really confused. Which prolly didnt take much

Old 10-30-2010, 12:49 AM   #12
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Well, let me ask you this. How did it work for you the previous way the system worked when you had 10 bumps per period?
I honestly never tried it because it was set to 10 and in my mindset ... that would have been 10 total.. and I had I think 9 ads up. So I just did things the manual way

Figured whats the use if I can only bump them once a month. Im better off spending my time doing things manual.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:57 AM   #13
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeTop Reptiles View Post
I honestly never tried it because it was set to 10 and in my mindset ... that would have been 10 total.. and I had I think 9 ads up. So I just did things the manual way

Figured whats the use if I can only bump them once a month. Im better off spending my time doing things manual.
So if you have 9 ads running, you can bump each of them three times a month and have three left over.

I'm sorry, but I just don't believe uncontrolled bumping of ads is going to be good for this site in general. I have to make some sort of compromise that seems reasonable, and this is my shot in the dark at it.

Oh, and in case anyone is reading who didn't catch my drift in earlier posts, MANUALLY BUMPING ADS IS NOW OVER WITH.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:00 AM   #14
WebSlave
Quote:
please ask him... cause now Im really confused. Which prolly didnt take much
The easiest thing to do is for you to simply try it. Since this is the only official way to bump ads here any longer, you might as well do it that way.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:05 AM   #15
ShiffyAME
Quote:

The old way when you only had 10bumps with the user cp. That meant 10bumps total per 30days. No matter which section the ads were in, if you bumped 10 seperate ads once, or 1 ad 10times. Once you burnt your 10 up you were done for the month. That's when i usually switched to manual bumps

Old 10-30-2010, 01:08 AM   #16
Southern Wolf
Thanks Matt

Old 10-30-2010, 01:30 AM   #17
WebSlave
Well, I guess if you need more bumps per month, then THAT is what is going to make the higher level paid memberships more attractive..

Seriously folks, there is no perfect answer to this. The best I can ask is that everyone just try to have some common courtesy with the way you do things here. If someone is looking for THE animal you are selling, they WILL find it.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:37 AM   #18
rcpreis3
Sounds fair to me, I just hope no one is thick skulled and ruins it for all of us!

Keep up the good work Rich!

Old 10-30-2010, 04:59 AM   #19
hhmoore
Quote:
Seriously folks, there is no perfect answer to this. The best I can ask is that everyone just try to have some common courtesy with the way you do things here. If someone is looking for THE animal you are selling, they WILL find it.
I've got a total of about 15 minutes total, and I used part of it reading this thread (so it will be a short comment, lol).
The statement I quoted above says it all. At my membership level, under the old system, I had 200 bumps per month. It is pretty common knowledge that I dislike advertising, so I'm probably not the best example; but, regardless of how many babies from however many species I may have on hand at a given time, I rarely focus on more than 6 ads at a time. I post up those 6 ads, and I'll bump them once every day or two until I a) get tired of dealing with the people that are responding, or b) decide those ads aren't doing much...then I either post different ads for different animals, or stop for a while (leaving those ads hanging where they are, just in case).
The basic point being that there really isn't much sense to flooding the section every day. Rotating your ads will still keep you visible to potential customers, it saves time and effort, and it helps keep the peace. There is nothing wrong with aggressively marketing your product, or keeping up with the competition...but if two or three people are trying to match ad for ad (or go one ad better), what are they accomplishing? Are they reaching more potential customers? Or are they just posting ads because the other people did? Are the ads going up every day the same, or are they showing the variety of what is available? I guess that given my feelings about advertising, it just surprises me that people don't consider these things sooner, and try different approaches. Then again, maybe they have, and I (and many others) just missed it...if people are advertising in the manner they think is best for them, and it isn't a violation of the rules, then good for them. As has usually been pointed out in the past - why should we try to impose limitations on a few people just because others don't want to expend the same time, effort, or money in their advertising? (Yes, the freebumping was a problem because, as was pointed out, it negated the one of the benefits of paid membership...and a number of people were really taking advantage of it. That is different than posting ads or using the built in options)

Old 10-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #20
deborahbroadus
I read the whole thing...THANKS! I, and many others, appreciate the effort to improve the site!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!