Georgia state law issues - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 03-08-2004, 01:56 PM   #61
JohnHarper
Talking Ga people are you out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

of all the people that have viewed this thread why has no one responded . If you want to see some changes then try to help don't be a coward people. I refuse to sit back and do nothing to try and get these laws changed. Guess everyone likes not being able to keep native non venomous snakes and wonders why they can't have them.

john campbell

Old 03-15-2004, 08:08 PM   #62
ZX11
The useless DNR and the Claxton Roundup

I went to the roundup yesterday and the catch this year was 348 snakes, maybe, of which, there were about 15 canebrakes.

The vendors were running wide open and selling things ranging from glass statues to epoxy coated rattlesnakes. Of course there several vendors selling snake parts, too.

We saw belts, hatbands, cigarettes cases, lighter cases, wallets, boots, and plain skins. Of the 50+ vendors, only one could correctly identify the species of snake from which the parts came from. One vendor had several wallets made from burmese pythons, a rack full of belts and a few sets of boots. I ask what kind of snake and he said he did not know. This vendor also had cigarette cases made from monacle cobras, one from an albino.

I took 54 pix of the items they were selling and and the snakes sent off to meet their maker. Many EDB's were in excess of 6ft.

Of course they had to have the ritualistic milking of the snakes for all to see. The snakes were pulled from their cages and slung to the ground at the milker's feet and he, in turn, snatched them up with his tongs, setting the scared, striking snake on a table and pinned its head. Trying to protect itself, it was then subjected to having its mouth pried open and then the beaker shoved in its face. When done, the man would freehandedly sling the snake to the next fella that tormented it into striking. The crowd gave its' "ooohs" and "aaahs". Then the snake is droppped into another pen.

I asked the milkman what was done with the venom. His reply was that it was sold to various pharmacuticals. Shortly after saying that, a dead EDB was thrown to the milker. It, too, was milked into the same beaker and slung to the other pen.

I asked what became of the snakes. He told me they were released into peoples' yards. I just glared at him. He saw I did not approve of his quip, then said they were released into an enclosed area and will be brought back next year.

When questioned about where they came from to begin with, he informed me that people go out and catch them. I asked how. He told mme that they used to gas to the gopher tortise holes but the enviromentalists did not like that so the holes are simply dug up.

I know that, in Ga, the selling, or possession of, nonindiginous reptiles, in whole, or part, alive, or dead is illegal. I went to make contact with the DNR that are usually at the roundup. They were not there this year. I found, and asked, a state trooper to call in an agent. An hour passed. When I asked the trooper where the DNR was, he told me the only agent in the area was in Chandler County and would come in. He said he explained what was there and the agent confirmed the illegals, but sent me back a message to just leave the people alone and let them do their business.

This is how the roundup is every year. Since no one wanted to show up and help with the closing of this, maybe you can protest the products of Claxton. They sell Claxton Chicken at grocery stores and Claxton Fruitcakes. Maybe a boycott against the Claxton products will help.

"Welcome to Georgia. Owned and operated by the DNR"

Michael Parkinson

Old 03-16-2004, 12:43 AM   #63
JohnHarper
Thumbs down claxton round up needs to be stopped

Micheal,

Could you post the pics on here once you get them developed. It may be a good idea to post them on kingsnake too. I wonder what Southeastern Hot Herp Society thinks of the claxton county slaughter. Cuz thats exactly what it is. I am going to try to contact some local news stations in Atlanta and see what they think about us coming to talk about the reptile laws in Ga. I think it may be possible if we did reptile education live on the news.
What do you think about this?

john

Old 03-20-2004, 01:14 AM   #64
ZX11
John,
Looks like everyone is leaving it up to us to do on our own. Count me in.
Michael

Old 03-21-2004, 11:45 AM   #65
JohnHarper
Talking I have noticed this

I have noticed that alot of people read these post but don' t post anything back on it. Are they too afraid to stand up for what they belive in or is it that hard to type to a reply. Micheal I have tried contacting my local news via email and heard nothing back. I have some numbers and I am going to try them if I don't hear nothing from them. Could you post some pictures of the claxton round up maybe that would shake somethings up.

john

Old 03-23-2004, 09:01 AM   #66
herpetological
I think it's just a matter of some of these forums get overlooked. Let me know how we can help and I'd be happy to. I will be assisting in an upcoming episode of Animal Planet maybe we can help there as well. Thanks Ray G. HBR 772-519-1376

Old 03-23-2004, 10:34 AM   #67
JohnHarper
Wink heres an idea

My main goal is to prove its a legit business in the documentary. The only problem I see is some people just don't like to go on camera. I have a friend who could help with this project but hes been so busy working and he wouldn't be able to start filming till July. Hopefully if this project ever got recorded and aired it would hopefully help change some of the native species laws here in Georgia. Georgia is the most unfriendly herper state there is.

john campbell
feel free to email me at electricbluescat@earthlink.net

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NorthW...lgicalSociety/

Old 03-27-2004, 12:01 AM   #68
odatria
Re: The useless DNR and the Claxton Roundup

Quote:
Originally posted by ZX11
I know that, in Ga, the selling, or possession of, nonindiginous reptiles, in whole, or part, alive, or dead is illegal. Michael Parkinson
Maybe I am not reading this right. You cant own a "NON" indiginous reptile in GA? Do you mena indiginous to GA, or the U.S.?

Old 03-27-2004, 12:18 AM   #69
ZX11
To clarify:

In Ga, you may not possess any venomous reptile that is not native to the state. You may not possess the animal, alive, or dead, in part, or in whole.

Example: legal animals, venomous: Eastern Diamondback, Canebrake, and Pygmy Rattlesnakes. Southern copperhead and cottonmouth. Eastern Coral snakes.

Anything else venomous is illegal, dead or alive, in part, or whole.

Any native nonvenomous reptile is illegal. Any non-native, non-venomous is legal.

The laws are state laws. Federally protected species, venomous, or not, are illegal.

Old 03-31-2004, 11:22 PM   #70
tdeppen
dnr are just stupid people

ok heres the story. i called the local dnr office here in savannah and talked to a ed van ottern, who i asked, "can i have a hybred snake that is a cross between a corn snake and a cal. king(jungle corn)". well he took his time, about two days, witch was no problem. he called me back saying," because the animal is a hybred between a native snake and a non-native, non-venimous, snake that you can have it". i was really excited, that ment that we can have bubble gum rats, emory x corns, ect.

well i wanted to dubble check, witch i should not of, i called the specal permits unit in atlanta and talked to mary kay. i explained to her what i wanted to know about the hypred. she replys," what is the scientific name of the hybred". i tell her that because it is a man made animal, that meaning it does not occurr in nature, that it is just a cross. but she convences me that there is a name and made me feel stupid. so i call around to a cupple of the "old timers" from around here to ask them. then i call her back.

she answers the phone i tell her that it is a lamperpletis california cross whit a elaphe, and that there is no scienctific name for it. so here we were me a 17 year old shutting up an dnr aggent. mabe not the smartest thing to do but all in all fun. she gets mad and just tells me "no". i reply saying," thats funny, because i talked to a mr. ed van otteren and he is saying different." once again, it is quiet on the other end, and she said that she has never herd of him. then i here her asking some one in the back ground,"do you know an ed insavannah" and the person replying ,"oh yeah i know him, good guy". whitch ed is a great guy i have talked to him many times, he knows most of his stuff. then she askes me if she can call me back once she finds out. she calls back about 15 min. later and says "no", so here i am trying to fight it once more. and damnit i am tired of fighting it.

thad

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!