To cull or let it be ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #1
wolf100
To cull or let it be ?

Today 8 hatchlings were born after 66 days. All were perfect except this one. It came out of the egg by itself, was breathing and showed no sign of pain. I wanted to put it into a plastic Container with moist paper and put it back into the incubation machine. But i asked in a german Forum on Facebook. Of course they told me i should cull it, how can i post it instead of culling it. etc., etc. So i culled it.
Might it had a Chance ? Might it´s belly had become closed ?
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
Robert Walker
I'm a snake guy, not a lizard guy, so I'm having a hard time telling if that is yolk sack or intestine? Snake stomachs will stay open like that sometimes and they tend to close just fine, IF it is yolk. IF that is intestine then = cull.

Again, I'm not a lizard guy.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
elena
That is viscera, not yolk sack. Many animals are born with this deformity, and if the hole is smaller (much smaller) it can be closed and the animal can live. I had a corn snake with a much smaller hole, which I was advised to close with super glue, and the animal lived and was even able to successfully breed later in life. However, I think the deformity was much too severe with your animal, and it would not have survived. I think you did the right thing by culling it. Even if you hadn't, it's unlikely the animal would have lived more than a few days.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
Helenthereef
I certainly would have culled, I think you did the right thing. It might not have appeared to be in pain, but really how could you tell? It's a very large opening and I can't see how it could have closed without surgery.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:19 PM   #5
bigjej
This occurs in humans as well. Gastroschises or omphaloceole depending on whether the viscera are enclosed in a membrane or not. Interesting today see something similar happens in reptiles as well.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!