Info Robert and Suzanne Johnson of Southern Bearded Dragons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
scaledverts
Robert and Suzanne Johnson of Southern Bearded Dragons

Hello –
I recently purchased a dragon from Robert and Suzanne Johnson of Southern Bearded Dragons through kingsnake. They had an awesome looking hypotrans baby male that fits perfectly into my breeding plans. We agreed upon a price and a ship date. Robert told me he was shipping out using UPS via Ship Your Reptiles next day air, which was fine. Next day air shipments are guaranteed to my location by 10:30. Well the shipment arrived late (not that big of a deal), I told him about it and told him that we could get a shipping refund because of late delivery. However, he did not want to pursue the shipping refund. This issue aside (which is not his fault), his packaging was less than what I had expected! I have attached two pictures of the box directly after I received it. I did not change any of his packaging at all. He had zero insulation in the package with the dragon in a deli cup. He did have some padding material but no insulation. Personally I have never sent out an animal without insulation to protect from temperature extremes and being jostled around too much. He had some small holes at the top of the box on each side for ventilation. However, the holes were so small that very little air exchange could happen and some were taped over.

I e-mailed him the following as soon as I opened the box.
Quote:

from K Mara <scaledverts@gmail.com>
to Robert Johnson <southernbeardeddragons@yahoo.com>
date Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:06 PM
subject Re: Fw: UPS Ship Notification, Tracking Number 1Z12EW270198834957

Robert -

Just got the dragon. He appears healthy and alert, however his packaging was not up to industry standards! I would never consider sending an animal out with zero insulation. The insulation keeps the animal from experiencing the temperature extremes of in an airplane hold to tarmac to warehouse to delivery. I am disappointed that your packaging did not include styrofoam insulation as is required by ship your reptiles and UPS. I am going to set up the dragon in his new enclosure and hope that he did not experience temperature extremes in Louisville, West Palm or Tampa.

What are your thoughts?

Kyle
His reply to my message was:

Quote:
from Robert Johnson <southernbeardeddragons@yahoo.com>
to K Mara <scaledverts@gmail.com>
date Tue, May 18, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Kyle,

I'm sure he will be fine, I've been shipping reptiles since 1999 and congratulations your the first one to complain on over 5000 or so shipments. Styrofoam as we have experienced holds heat as well as hold it out, once the inside gets to it's maximum temps it holds it for log extended periods of time. We have shipped packages with data loggers inside to record temps over shipments all over the country , This device is a very accurate way to see what goes on all the way to and back to me in all weather conditions. It records every 5 seconds temps and humidity levels and gives me a graph chart showing all the points of temp's and humidity changes with time stamps. Florida Central and south is best to ship in a plain box with plenty of airflow in fact a screen window worked the best.. Styrofoam produced the longest period of heat dissipation. Our main concern is the reptiles safety not UPS and or Shipyoureptiles standard in which I have no way of telling how they came about the standards they use... It's my responsibility since they do not guarantee the live arrival even if they drop the ball and leave reptiles overnight in the hubs just because they forgot to pick them up...I've experienced this.... They do not take responsibility if the reptile or any other live animal dies due to their own neglect. Been there with them... Example 30 dragons got left in Kentucky between Cali and here..they simply forgot to load them at the hub, All but 5 died and the rest followed only days later due to dehydration... I pursued the issue with UPS with the guy that was actually shipping them to me... They do not under no circumstances guarantee the safe travel of anything alive.. With that said I will stick by my own shipping methods which has had perfect results due to my on research. AS far as getting the money back for shipping.. Overnight means what it says... no 10, 11 or any other time guarantee's are expressed.. You can pay for a by 10.30 am delivery time but in this case it was just an overnight shipment as expressed in our Terms and Conditions on our site... We ship only by 10;30 am if the customer request for it and pays the difference. I am however involved with a company that is starting up a new shipping service that eventually will carry a insurance policy to guarantee the alive delivery themselves... This will in my opinion be a big plus for the reptile industry... Enjoy your dragon, he will be fine I'm sure.. He was the most aggressive one in the bunch, no feeding problems no other issues with him.

Best Reguards

Robert & Suzanne Johnson
Southernbeardeddragons.com
OK, number one it doesn’t matter how long you have been shipping or how many shipments you have sent out. Improper packaging is improper packaging. Number two his box went from GA to KY to West Palm, FL to Tampa, FL. I am sure this package experienced some temperature extremes at some point in its journey especially in FL with the current warm temps here. His second part about UPS and late packages deals with this package not arriving on time and me telling him he should ask for the shipping charges back.

Quote:
from K Mara <scaledverts@gmail.com>
to Robert Johnson <southernbeardeddragons@yahoo.com>
date Tue, May 18, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Actually according to UPS it is guaranteed by 10:30. Look at their website. And just because I am the first to complain does not excuse the lack of insulation. Styrofoam holding heat is why if the temps get to high you put cold packs with the animals. In any case I will keep you updated about his progress. Also, I am sending another e-mail shortly about a second toe nip issue I noticed when I took him out.
The toe nip is left in here for completeness. He rectified the issue of the toe nip with a partial refund.

I am torn because he is not really a “BAD GUY” but his shipping is unacceptable so I put this as an INFO thread and everyone can draw their own conclusions about it. I should also point out that the dragon appears healthy and alert and other than the toe nip issue I am very happy with him.

Kyle
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Matt2979
Kyle,

How is your dragon doing? I just found these guys on KS last night and wanted to find out more about them. They are local to me so (while I don't agree with the shipping conditions of yours) I'm not concerned with mine being shipped; however, I am extremely interested in the outcome of your dragon and his health over the last 2 months since you started this thread.

Thanks for any help!

Matt Jackson

Old 04-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
furcifer
Thumbs up Recent purchase of a bearded dragon

In regards to Robert and Suzanne Johnson of Southern Bearded Dragons, we purchased a TIGER IT LEATHERBACK HET HYPO baby bearded dragon on April 11, 2012. We had him shipped on Wednesday April 18th and received him on Thursday April 19th. FedEx showed a delivery time of 10:30am and our driver delivered the dragon promptly at 10am. We then removed the dragon from the packaging and placed him in the tub with luke-warm water to hydrate and warm him up. Our beardy looked in excellent condition when we received him and is still in excellent condition.
We have had nothing but the most professional and courteous interaction with Robert and Suzanne Johnson and their company Southern Bearded Dragons. I would highly recommend them to others for their bearded dragon desires and needs.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
BG2388
I have only heard positive things about Robert Johnson. The only thing I have ordered from him was dubia and all of them were alive....No DOAs out of 500....I would not hesitate to do business with him again

Old 08-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
Radioactive Reptiles
Robert has sent me two of the most beautiful and healthy dragons that I own. I love doing business with him and I would recommend purchasing a dragon from him to anyone. If you want to see pics of my studs let me know and I'll email some. The guy with the packing problem is a flaw in the matrix. I would buy from Robert any day. Quality dragons at affordable prices, thank you Robert!

Old 08-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #6
scaledverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsansalone23 View Post
Robert has sent me two of the most beautiful and healthy dragons that I own. I love doing business with him and I would recommend purchasing a dragon from him to anyone. If you want to see pics of my studs let me know and I'll email some. The guy with the packing problem is a flaw in the matrix. I would buy from Robert any day. Quality dragons at affordable prices, thank you Robert!
"Flaw in the matrix" or not the packaging was sub-par at best. As I said, other than the shipping I had no problems. I hope he has corrected the problem with the insulation, otherwise he has some very nice dragons!

Old 08-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Radioactive Reptiles
Ok so Robert fixed the problem and you like his dragon, was it really necessary to post this blot about the packing issue. I could see if he didn't fix the problem or you were unsatisfied with your dragon. It makes him look bad, when did you order the dragon? Both of my dragons that I ordered from him were delivered by ship your reptiles standards.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
scaledverts
Quote:
Quote:
Ok so Robert fixed the problem and you like his dragon, was it really necessary to post this blot about the packing issue. I could see if he didn't fix the problem or you were unsatisfied with your dragon. It makes him look bad, when did you order the dragon? Both of my dragons that I ordered from him were delivered by ship your reptiles standards.
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

The packaging was COMPLETELY unacceptable, that's all there is to be said. When asked about it, he replied with disregard for proper packaging! As I said in the comments I left you, if you think that packaging is acceptable, I think you swallowed the wrong color pill!!!

You will also notice that it is an INFO thread. THIS thread does not "make him look bad" the way he packaged the dragon did though. To be perfectly honest, I don't really care how the thread makes him "look." I posted my experience with him as an informational post, people who read the post can draw their own conclusions from all of the posts here. If he had not fixed the issue, this would be a bad guy thread. IF he is now using proper standards for packaging, this thread did its job beautifully!!!

This thread was started over 2 years ago, you all are the ones that are bringing it up to the top. If you want to post good experiences with Robert, that's great and the point of this forum. However, to marginalize the poor packaging I received while attempting to support him just makes YOU look bad in my opinion.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Radioactive Reptiles
Well I'm not trying to make anyone look bad here. He fixed the problem so he sounds like a good seller to me. I ordered my dragons about a year ago so I guess he took your advice lol did you breed the dragon? I need a 0.1 super citrus trans hypo if you have one.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
ozz465
A proper thread in my opinion ,and nice trying to buy from someone who you called out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!