22 year old corn - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
toadellen
Unhappy 22 year old corn

Cob, my first cornsnake, is 22 years old and has stopped eating. She stays in her "warm corner', drinks a little of water but has not eaten in ~ 2 months.She looks thinner to me. She has always been a great eater, 1 or 2 mice a week. She is otherwise fine. No other signs of illness or distress.I fear she is ready to go to a better place. From what I have read, 20-23 years is an expected captive life spam.
She is a sweetheart. Has gone with me to school and has educated 100's of adults and children! I am sure her sweet disposition has saved many wild snakes in my area, she was proof that snakes are not slimy villains!
She is a captive bred normal that I got from a breeder when they wanted to branch into the more exotic morphs. She was 7 when I got her and have had her for 15 years.
I have had Redtail boas, Rainbow boas, Balls, Kings, and still have a another corn and a Durango Mountain King- both of them are loves too!
Is there anything I can do to make her comfortable?
It will be a sad day when this beautiful girl is gone. :-(

Old 01-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
~Just Curious~
D'awww, that is pretty up there in age. Honestly one of the oldest I've heard of and she sounds like such a sweet corn Cob too. ^^ It's wonderful that she was able to educate so many people like that and I'm sure that she's given you many great years too.
Pets like that really are part of the family, so I'm very sorry to hear that she isn't doing well. Without knowing for sure though, I wouldn't give up on her quite yet.

Have you offered her different meals or feeding methods? Or perhaps try raising the temps a tad if she's only hanging around the warm side... I really can't say though - If she's losing weight, I'd take her to the vet and see if they can find something wrong. Really the best route for answers.

Best of luck to you both. I have my fingers crossed for Cob~

Old 01-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
toadellen
Thanks for the kind words.
She has always eaten live, would never take a thawed or pre-dispatched mice and her actions are pretty normal for her. It is always been her fave corner to curl up in!
I have a friend who has an 18 year old albino corn. Maybe it's our clean central VA air that keeps em going!
I spoke with a breeder in VA and he thinks she is just getting close to the end. I just want her not to suffer any.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!