IBD disease / My ball and my boas - Page 16 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 
 
  Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #151
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcnj
Please I have an appt. tomorrow to get them put down! The clock is ticking
please to anyone who knows or knows someone who can give me insight, please do.

Thanks
Seems you misspoke yourself here if your boas are still alive and available for research.

The thing about being caught in a lie is, after you've been caught, how can you expect anything you say subsequently to be believed?

So, with that said, what's the deal? Are you having them put down or not?
What happened to the appointment to put them down?
 
Old 10-22-2007, 02:03 PM   #152
kmurphy
Quote:
As far as a second opinion of sorts, I spoke to my vet and he is going to speak with the lab. I do not know what he will be looking to do, but he said lets wait untill he can speak with them.
Post number 123 above.
 
Old 10-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #153
mjcnj
On a final note, all of my classifieds have been deleted, i finally found out how to do it.

I will be euthanizing my snakes this weekend.

PLEASE if anyone knows of a lab that would take a live specimen, I would be willing to discuss it. I would not want the snake to be tortured though.

To all of you who had constructive and supportive advice, thanks!

To the others, your responses have been nothing but immature rants of angry people who look to prey on people as oppose to help them. Your efforts could only be seen as to de-legitimize this site as the valuable resource that it is.

To all boa owners, I was attacked because I questioned why I could not keep my boas that were diagnosed with IBD. I was not aware of the enormity of IBD, and I was quick to be told. But, I raised these snakes from 18" to 8ft and I was willing to do what it would have taken to see them through. But after all this, they will be put down. I was given the reason WHY and I am doing the right thing. The fact is that your snakes could have it and you may not know it. Knowing sooner then later is best. Get them tested.

I will be starting over and I will only deal with reputable breeders. I will quarantine the animal for 1 year, separate holding room. I will have every single snake tested within the first week of it coming home. I will then have it tested 6 months later. If the snake comes back with a positive result, I will have it retested. The cost of the test can not be seen as prohibitive, it has to be seen as a necesary step of reptile ownership, business or hobby. If the results of the blood work are conclusive I will make everyone aware of the results and let this site know who sold it and where it came from.

What else is there to do? How do we stop this? I suggest this coarse of action for any person buying a boa from anyone.

If any breeder or anyone knows of a breeder who has there breeders tested as a standard operating procedure, let it be known, I will by my snakes from you!

Very happy to put this behind me!

Mike
 
Old 10-22-2007, 02:35 PM   #154
mjcnj
Wilomn, No you missed a post somehwere, my vet told me to wait and he will speak to the lab to get more info! I have reset the appt for this Saturday, that is unless I am advised he wants to do more testing.
 
Old 10-22-2007, 03:29 PM   #155
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcnj
Wilomn, No you missed a post somehwere, my vet told me to wait and he will speak to the lab to get more info! I have reset the appt for this Saturday, that is unless I am advised he wants to do more testing.
I didn't miss it, just wasn't sure that was what you meant.

IF you do as you say you have, and can prove that you have done as you say you will, you will have an excellent business that I would purchase from.

There will be no shortage of people who WANT to do business with someone who goes through the lengths you have outlined, especially as more is learned about who has IBD and how long they've had it.

I wish you well.

I have one albino male currently very busy breeding a poss. het female. IF I get any albino babies I'll make you a sweet deal on one.

Good luck and I'm sorry for your loss, it sucks bigtime.
 
Old 10-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #156
crotalusadamanteus
Dr. Elliott Jacobson would be a strong start as for donating an animal for the cause.

JacobsonE@mail.vetmed.ufl.edu


Good luck, and sorry again for your loss.
Rick
 
Old 10-22-2007, 09:11 PM   #157
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
IF you do as you say you have, and can prove that you have done as you say you will, you will have an excellent business that I would purchase from.
There will be no shortage of people who WANT to do business with someone who goes through the lengths you have outlined, especially as more is learned about who has IBD and how long they've had it.
I wish you well.
Good luck and I'm sorry for your loss, it sucks bigtime.
I second that. A person that would go thru this rather than ignore the issue like some have done is one of the people that deserve peoples business.
 
Old 10-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #158
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcnj
On a final note, all of my classifieds have been deleted, i finally found out how to do it.

I will be euthanizing my snakes this weekend.

PLEASE if anyone knows of a lab that would take a live specimen, I would be willing to discuss it. I would not want the snake to be tortured though.

To all of you who had constructive and supportive advice, thanks!

To the others, your responses have been nothing but immature rants of angry people who look to prey on people as oppose to help them. Your efforts could only be seen as to de-legitimize this site as the valuable resource that it is.

To all boa owners, I was attacked because I questioned why I could not keep my boas that were diagnosed with IBD. I was not aware of the enormity of IBD, and I was quick to be told. But, I raised these snakes from 18" to 8ft and I was willing to do what it would have taken to see them through. But after all this, they will be put down. I was given the reason WHY and I am doing the right thing. The fact is that your snakes could have it and you may not know it. Knowing sooner then later is best. Get them tested.

I will be starting over and I will only deal with reputable breeders. I will quarantine the animal for 1 year, separate holding room. I will have every single snake tested within the first week of it coming home. I will then have it tested 6 months later. If the snake comes back with a positive result, I will have it retested. The cost of the test can not be seen as prohibitive, it has to be seen as a necesary step of reptile ownership, business or hobby. If the results of the blood work are conclusive I will make everyone aware of the results and let this site know who sold it and where it came from.

What else is there to do? How do we stop this? I suggest this coarse of action for any person buying a boa from anyone.

If any breeder or anyone knows of a breeder who has there breeders tested as a standard operating procedure, let it be known, I will by my snakes from you!

Very happy to put this behind me!

Mike
Mike,

I think many of the posts you see as simply "angry people preying on other people" are simply from people who are very tired, and scared of, people who DO know the ramifications of IBD in their collection, but choose to ignore it and then go on selling, putting everyone else at larger risk. Knowing the pain you are going through right now, I hope you can understand why these folks get upset....they just don't want to see other people and animals have to go through this just because of someone else's greed or self-chosen ignorance.

That said, I'm glad to see you are making the right choices now that you do have more information, and am very sorry for your losses, and I do wish you the best of luck in the future.
 

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metabolic bone disease varnyard Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum 0 10-20-2007 09:01 PM
Eyelid Disease...?? lostkauze Geckos Discussion Forum 6 03-17-2005 11:26 PM
oodinium or spring disease Jeankugatt Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues 0 11-24-2004 04:08 PM
Disease? GeckoPalace Chameleons Discussion Forum 0 11-14-2004 09:28 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:12 AM.







TESTING!
Fauna Top Sites


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.05257511 seconds with 13 queries
Content copyrighted 2002-2018, FaunaClassifieds, LLC