Wild Fiji Boas photos posted - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-13-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
Helenthereef
Wild Fiji Boas photos posted

Hi, I live in Fiji and have three year old Fiji Boa babies (Candoia bibroni bibroni) born to wild snakes saved from being killed by locals during land clearance.

If you are interested in colourations and behaviours found in the wild, I've jusy posted some photos in the boa gallery (helenthereef) .... any comments or questions welcome.

Helen

Old 03-14-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
ravensgait
Helen why not post them here so we don't have to search for them.. Randy

Old 03-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
Helenthereef
I haven't posted the photos here 'cos I can't figure out how..... Technologically challenged or what. You can push the 'Gallery" button under my post and get to them easily though.

Instructions on how to properly use the site welcomed....
Helen

Old 03-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
crotalusadamanteus
It's pretty easy. When you click a picture in your album, you'll see a URL underneath it. Like so...

Put your cursor inside that URL area, and press Ctrl A to highlight it. Press Ctrl C to copy it. Go back to your post and hit Ctrl V to paste the url, and your image will appear like so....

Not hard at all.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
Helenthereef
Thanks for the photo posting advice, when I follow it I paste the link, not the photo - maybe it's the way my computer's set up - can you view the photo of the black boa morph below?

Sorry to turn this into a computer seminar, I am well known for being a Keyboard Klutz

Helen

Old 03-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
I see a picture of a black snake with a red belly.

Now you can practice and show us some more.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
Helenthereef
Fiji wild boas

OK, I have finally been able to post the photos, so here they are (below), thanks very much for the "How-to" advice.

These 'Candoia bibroni bibroni" native Fiji boas are in Fiji, rescued from being killed by locals during land clearance during construction activities. These are 4 adults, of three naturally occuring colour morphs, two of which display threat postures similar to a venomous snake, and at least one of which will actually strike aggressively if threatened. The other two are much more docile and easily handled.

There are also shots of the babies born in capitivity and now a year to a year and a half old. I'm interested in how these colours compare to those bred in capitivity.

Also my brown/pink babies seem to be able to change colour according to preference - one likes to remain quite pale pink, the other remains brown most of the time, and the third prefers high contrast dark grey, however all can be brown or pink at will. Is this sex linked? Do they retain this ability?

Thanks for your interest!
Helen

Four adult wild Fiji Boas, 1 brown, 2 grey and 1 black morphs

Three coloured heads in a snake tangle

Standard brown adult

Grey morph

Grey morph striking pose

Black morph red belly

Black morph defensive pose

Old 03-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
Helenthereef
Baby pics Fiji boas

Too many pics in my last post, so here are baby pics under seperate cover: Born to wild Fiji boa adults in captivity, so natural colouration, but seem to be able to change colour at will from pink to brown to almost grey.

Brown baby about a year old

Pink baby about a year and a half old, 2 feet long

"Double header" Two babies in tube

Old 03-16-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
scotty77327
Awsome pics I'm drooling on my keyboard

Old 03-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
I take it by their slenderness, that they are arboreal? Or at least partially?

Sure a nice variation amongst them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!