Any body want to help me out and ID - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #21
kmurphy
Porkchop48 wrote:
Quote:
I am confused about what to do witth them. I can not find anything that tells me yes release them or no you can not do that. I dont want the poor little guys to die.
CrazySnakeLady wrote:
Quote:
These snakes are common in parts of the US (Northeast and Midwest, in particular). You could let them go with no harm to the environment.
I don't agree with taking snakes from New York to West Virginia and then releasing them, even if they do happen to be common in the area. The ones in West Virginia, if there any, are different from the ones in New York, even if they are the same species. IMO it is irresponsible to release any wildlife except in the exact spot it was found. If that can't be done then they're captives period.

CrazySnakeLady, how do you know that there wouldn't be any harm to the environment? What are your qualifications for making such a statement? There could easily be a bacteria that the New York snakes had developed a tolerance for and that the WV snakes are vulnerable to. This is just an example there are plenty of other reasons.

I realize that this is just a few snakes but it's not a good practice at any level.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #22
callak
They are native (Storeria dekayi dekayi)

This is a little late but I just saw this while doing a search. Here's a link to Marshall University herp website. While not the most common snake in WV they are Native and located in several counties here. I have found them in kanawha county where I live. The DNR requires you to have a game farm license to keep native animals even as pets. To get a game farm license you must have a business license in WV. Total cost for the permits to keep just about any reptile in WV is around 50 bucks. Hope this Helps!! Laterz Dan

PS I would not release any WC animals from one state into another. For the reasons already mentioned in posts above.

http://www.marshall.edu/herp/pages/SNAKES.HTM

http://www.marshall.edu/herp/WVHERPS.HTM

Old 10-24-2008, 07:21 AM   #23
testudo breeder
snake I.D.

Without seeing it's belly color, it looks like either a red or yellow belly snake (not sure of scientific name, I'm more into turtles and tortoises). Here in upstate New York where I live they're very common, we find them all around the place in the spring and summer. They feed mainly on ants, termites and similar small insects and are usually found near ant hills and under mulch and wood where ants and termites live. A "big" female is about 10" long and they sometimes have dozens of live babies which are very tiny at birth. They are very docile snakes and very easy to handle. T

Old 10-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #24
TripleMoonsExotic
The snakes were positively identified in the beginning of September (read through the thread).

Old 11-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #25
bharmonika
Just curious as to what you ended up doing with these little guys? I found one in the bathroom at church a few weeks ago and it is doing well feeding on slugs and earthworms.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #26
porkchop48
I recently just gave them to a local guy who knows a heck of a lot more about snakes than I do.
They were eating for me and even shed a time or two but I wanted to make sure they got everything they needed and I was darn sure I was not going to be able to provide what they needed

Old 11-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #27
bharmonika
That is cool.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!