Patience is a virtue... - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 
 
  Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #81
Abby
Wow April, I'm so sorry Good luck getting that slug and those babies out of her, I'll be thinking of you and the momma!
 
Old 08-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #82
TheFragginDragon
Very sorry for the turn of events April. I hope she makes a full recovery.
 
Old 08-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #83
Matt2979
Oh April, I'm really sorry to hear that things are as bad as they are. I thought for sure that she would just hold it a little longer and then have the rest of her babies. Keep us posted and I'm hoping great news for you and your girl!!
 
Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #84
crotalusadamanteus
This ain't the news I was hoping for. I imagine you like it even less though. The empathy I feel can't be put into words.

Now then, I hate to say it, but I'll wager the gas build up is the decaying babies. Ain't no stopping those enzymes from doing what they do. I just hope you can get somewhere positive with this, without the septicemia part playing a role. Problem is, even with AB's, I fear it would only be a temporary thing. The meds aren't going to dissolve the neos inside her, so they'll still be there after the AB regimen is over with, if she doesn't manage parturition on her own. Make any sense?

Enema's...did your vet supply you with a tube, a catheter, or some way to get the fluids further into her? What was it you are supposed to use for the enema fluid wise?

Wish I was closer, I would definitely come and help you out with this. Seems these things always happen to the good people, and not the ones who deserve this sort of torment.

I wish you and Vegas the best. Keep your head up.
 
Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #85
kmrkvicka
I had a feeling there were more babies in there I am SO sorry for this turn in events. Make sure you have a steady hand with you - I can't imagine what you are about to attempt to do will be comfortable to mama, and you shouldn't put yourself in danger... Best wishes, and like Rick, if I was close, you can darn well believe I'd be there with you, helping as best I could...

Any way the vet could just make a small incision in the vent? you know, like they do in female humans???
 
Old 08-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #86
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
, so they'll still be there after the AB regimen is over with, if she doesn't manage parturition on her own. Make any sense?
Yes, exactly, I agree. That's why if I can't get them to come out, she'll have to be put down as I can't afford the surgery right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Enema's...did your vet supply you with a tube, a catheter, or some way to get the fluids further into her? What was it you are supposed to use for the enema fluid wise?
Yes, I have the tube, catheter and he wants me to try giving her 40cc of luke warm water. He doesn't believe the tube will go in very far due to the slug, but I'm going to attempt it tomorrow.

I'd appreciate any tips. I was thinking of putting all but the back end into a pillow case and holding her body in the case with one hand while attempting to do this with the other. I'm worried if I just held her head I'd be too busy trying to unwrap her to get things 'going'...

I gave her the first of the fortaz injections today and was able to work the slug up a little bit (she urated all over me to say thanks, heh) but it appears she's moved it back down herself, not sure, I'll go take a better look at her in a bit once she's calmed down again.

I'm keeping my head up, doing what I can (aside from the surgery) and hoping for some good news but I've pretty much already accepted the worst, it's just part of what happens when dealing with living creatures and I do believe we have to accept that risk when we get them to breed that complications happen.
 
Old 08-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #87
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrkvicka View Post
Any way the vet could just make a small incision in the vent? you know, like they do in female humans???
We didn't discuss that as an option but I have a feeling he'd say no. He's sending the xrays to a radiologist to review.
 
Old 08-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #88
crotalusadamanteus
Take a pillow case, put some slits in the hem of the end that's open, and feed some string through. Now you have a draw string bag. Should help keep her head inside, allowing you to grasp the tail. That's where you'll need your grip.

Was it a heavy enough gauge of a tub to resist bending or kinking when inserted? If so, you may be able to work it past the slug, as inside there will be more flexibility in the walls then at her cloaca. Injecting a little bit of the fluid as you go in helps a bit when inserting too if you have problems getting it in very far. If there is something twisted inside, it may not show up on the X-Ray, but would, or could, prevent you from getting it in very far as well.

I don't know how you are keeping such a level head. I'd be freaking out, and putting myself in debt again. No wonder I don't have anything. LOL

Good luck!
 
Old 08-03-2010, 03:06 AM   #89
Helenthereef
Good for you for attempting this April, you're the best chance she's got, so keep that hand steady and go for it.

I don't know anything about this, so this may be a ridiculous suggestion, but I wonder whether if you cooled her, a bit she'd sit still for you better? I keep my snakes at natural temps (in the tropics) and when it drops to under 18oC at night (65oF) they are a lot less active and more docile. Not suggesting putting her in the fridge, just upping the A/C for an hour or so before you attempt the procedure.

I'm posting as link to this thread in the veterinary forum in case any vets drop by and comment.

Good luck and please keep us updated. I'll have a sympathetic G&T for you and hope it helps!
 
Old 08-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #90
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
Yes, exactly, I agree. That's why if I can't get them to come out, she'll have to be put down as I can't afford the surgery right now.
Surely if it comes to surgery, this great community can pull together and offer some support. No one person may have much to give, but it all adds up! I'm in for a few bucks to the vet, and I'm sure many more can/will step up as well.

I hope this has a good outcome. Sending prayers.
 

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Patience and Wisdom ciderinc Just For Laughs 1 11-20-2009 05:29 PM
Patience is getting thin... Pink Lady Exotics Ball Pythons Discussion Forum 7 03-27-2007 07:52 PM
With patience you will get there The BoidSmith General Business Discussions 3 10-14-2006 01:22 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:48 AM.







TESTING!
Fauna Top Sites


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.10178804 seconds with 10 queries
Content copyrighted 2002-2018, FaunaClassifieds, LLC