Shipping from warm to cold climates? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
scaredofbees
Shipping from warm to cold climates?

I'm in the process of getting a pair of adult shinglebacks shipped to me.

Where they currently reside, out west, the high temperature is in the 80's.

Where I am located, in the east, the low temperatures are in the 40's.

The shipper will drop the package off at the last possible moment (2:30pm) for overnight shipping. We are using shipyourreptiles who I understand use Fedex.

He is using the shipping materials sent to him from shipyourreptiles.com

I believe most packages coming this way from there travel through the Memphis hub where the temps will be 65hi and 40 lo.

The big question is... heat pack or not?

They are fairly large, bulky animals that will not quickly lose heat like a leopard gecko would, though I certainly would not want them to freeze sitting in a cargo hold somewhere. I'm also concerned that if a heat pack is used, it will be far too hot for them at the origin if they're sitting around waiting to be loaded on a truck.

Any have any experience with this? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
RustyNuts
I just picked up a blood python from FedEx this morning. He came from Phoenix, AZ, dropped off late in the afternoon yesterday, went through Memphis early this morning and was held for pickup at the customer counter. Got him home, opened up the box, heat pack was nice and warm and he was still a bit chilled. Use the heat pack.

That said, I work for UPS managing the loading and unloading of the aircraft here in Louisville. Topside the temperatures aren't bad but if the package is in the bellies or P-sections (the lower compartments on the aircraft) it gets pretty damn cold even in the summer months.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Fonzi1289
Heat pack it. I live on the west coast and we just got a ball python from NY.. Heat pack was still warm and snake was just a little colder but the shipper r pros.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
GreenCountryHerp
One heat pack won't hurt as long as it isn't one of those hand warmer type(Use the ones for shipping reptiles only). Also, you don't want the heat pack to be in contact with the animal.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
mxracer4life
On average what is the temperature of the box compared to outside? I am curious because I am shipping from here, where it is 79 right now, and it is going through and possible too temperatures that are in the 40's. If its 80 out, what temp do we estimate the box is? And vise versa when its 40 out? I hesitated putting a heat pack in knowing it was going to be in the high 70's here untill later this evening, but I did.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:49 AM   #6
scaledverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
On average what is the temperature of the box compared to outside? I am curious because I am shipping from here, where it is 79 right now, and it is going through and possible too temperatures that are in the 40's. If its 80 out, what temp do we estimate the box is? And vise versa when its 40 out? I hesitated putting a heat pack in knowing it was going to be in the high 70's here untill later this evening, but I did.
I remember reading somewhere that it was about 15 degrees or so. This of course depends on the type of box you are using and how good the insulation is. I would also imagine that it would also depend slightly on the outside temps. I always look at the hourly track on weather.com to see what the estimated temps are during the approximate delivery time (along with details about the expected travel route). I posted a thread some time ago regarding the typical hubs for the major carriers, I will see if I can find it and link it here too. This will give everyone an idea of the possible locations you package may travel through.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:55 AM   #7
fuzzylogix
i agree with the heat pack. ultimately though, if there is such a big swing in temps and you are worried about it, it may be better to wait until the temperature change isn't so great. do whatever is best for the animal. oh and im jealous you are getting shinglebacks so they can just ship to me, lol

Old 03-23-2011, 01:56 AM   #8
scaledverts
Here is a link to all airlines routes. I don't know if this is still accurate or not but for FedEx Memphis is a major hub and for UPS Louisville is a major hub. There are others too though.

http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/USA/index.shtml

Old 03-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
Focal
I would use a heat pack and make sure it is taped to the top of the box with the red vent line facing the snake. Tape three sides of it and it should be fine. Heat rises so he won't cook.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
RustyNuts
And add some insulation between the heat pack and animal. Somewhere along the way a package handler is liable to set the box upside down.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!