Breeding size of adult female boas - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #21
HerpHobbiest
That sounds great... If I may suggest, try 2 smaller rats to equal the same as an XL rat...

As she looks right now, I would Not breed her... But with a healthy feeding schedule, and a warm environment, she may be ready... From here to October she may grow some 6 inches or more, and thicken up a little more...

Best of luck... Luis

Old 04-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #22
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpHobbiest View Post
That sounds great... If I may suggest, try 2 smaller rats to equal the same as an XL rat...

As she looks right now, I would Not breed her... But with a healthy feeding schedule, and a warm environment, she may be ready... From here to October she may grow some 6 inches or more, and thicken up a little more...

Best of luck... Luis
I actually attempted that in the first 2 feedings. She is a one time feeder, thats why I moved her up to the XL, they are smaller XL compared to what I got last time. I have an abundance of small rats and would have rather fed her that way, but she will only take 1 at a time, which I have a few boas that will do that.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #23
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpHobbiest View Post
Like I said, I will not breed her untill this fall. And just to point out, this thread isn't really about if I should breed MY boa at her current size, it is about everyone's opinion on breeding an older, smaller female.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #24
JCCS
Luis, I wanna see these 11+ foot Colombians you speak of. I've never seen one over 9.5' and I've seen a lot of boas. Also, you speak of all this like it's a mathematical equation. It's not by a long shot. Yes, larger females tend to have larger litters, but it ain't always the deal.

Personally, four yr old females that I've slowly let mature and are big strong boas have always given me the best results. Not just in number of babies, but in health of the litter as well. I also always give females a year off after a litter, lets them get their weight back comfortably, and makes for better breedings down the road. I think it will probably also extend their breeding life in the long run.

Chris

Old 04-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #25
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCS View Post
Luis, I wanna see these 11+ foot Colombians you speak of. I've never seen one over 9.5' and I've seen a lot of boas.
Me too. I have had some large females, over 40lbs and pushing 10ft, but never bigger, and they were old females, 15 years +. I believe the age of the large boas is slowly coming to an end with selective breeding, cross breeding and everyone wanting smaller boas so they can house more.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #26
HerpHobbiest
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
Like I said, I will not breed her untill this fall. And just to point out, this thread isn't really about if I should breed MY boa at her current size, it is about everyone's opinion on breeding an older, smaller female.
Got ya!!! I think as long as the Snake in question has the mature muscle tone... Not just muscle tone, it's not a question if the snake is strong... It's the look of a mature animal... You know those Boas that look thick heavy body... I have seen 4-1/2 ft Sonoran Boas with that same look...

Luis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCS View Post
Luis, I wanna see these 11+ foot Colombians you speak of. I've never seen one over 9.5' and I've seen a lot of boas. Also, you speak of all this like it's a mathematical equation. It's not by a long shot. Yes, larger females tend to have larger litters, but it ain't always the deal.

Personally, four yr old females that I've slowly let mature and are big strong boas have always given me the best results. Not just in number of babies, but in health of the litter as well. I also always give females a year off after a litter, lets them get their weight back comfortably, and makes for better breedings down the road. I think it will probably also extend their breeding life in the long run.

Chris
My Salmon Hypo stock Came from Brian Luebking bloodline... He used to have a site www.BallsandBoas.com... He had a two huge female Salmon Hypo Boas that were every bit of 11 ft long... They would eat two 4-5 rabbits... I recall a litter of 40 some babies and about 15 slugs from one of those monster females...
I have also seen a wild Boa of 3.45 meters (11.3 ft) at the Guatemalan Zoo. Again these are the exception of the rule...

As far as babies is not a mathematical equation... Is not like I am saying at 23.5 lbs you will have 37 babies, everytime... I am just giving you a broad range of what it is normal to expect from a healthy, mature Boa...

While some people may desire a ball python size pocket pet Boa... A normal size Boa is an impressive and beautiful animal... Even a 9-10 ft Boa is dwarfed by a 16 ft Burmese Python or a 20 ft Reticulated Python...

Dwarf Giants are a joke... The beauty of the true giants is in part their impressive natural size... People that keep from feeding their animals, so they stay smaller should reconsider keeping the bigger species...

Luis

Old 04-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #27
Metachrosis
The steady decline of older age boa's is due to being fed 3-5 times what nature would naturally provide.
Boas are not designed to exist on regular/steady diet's found in culture

Quote:
Me too. I have had some large females, over 40lbs and pushing 10ft, but never bigger, and they were old females, 15 years +. I believe the age of the large boas is slowly coming to an end with selective breeding, cross breeding and everyone wanting smaller boas so they can house more.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #28
Metachrosis
Here is a conservative fed 07 DH/SG

She has been fed every 3 weeks since 6 months of age
Every 4th feeding is stretched to 4 weeks followed by 3 consecutive 3 week feedings.

Starved isnt she . . . . .

Quote:
I couldn't get the greatest pictures due to lighting, but here are a few to show my 07 DH sunglow female and her size. She is in the middle of a shed and these pics were taken just before she was sprayed down.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #29
HerpHobbiest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
The steady decline of older age boa's is due to being fed 3-5 times what nature would naturally provide.
Boas are not designed to exist on regular/steady diet's found in culture
That is something we can both agree with!!!

Also, the fact that in captivity they generally do not get a chance to free-range and exercise...

Once a Boa is mature, feeding should be reduced from growing, to maintenance...

Luis

Old 04-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #30
Metachrosis
That should read 2006 and not 2007
here is her 06 boy toy,fed out the same as her

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!