Keeping snakes in the same cage - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #21
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
As I said, it's not for you to tell, as in hand down a decree, me anything and I speak only for myself. I suspect that others would feel the same, not about this thread and its subject, but the way you assume you are the be all and end all of how to keep snakes.
I don't believe I stated that anywhere. My original reply on this thread was short, to the point and giving reasons why. I also replied to you in a similar manner, telling you my reasoning why. However, you could not let go.

Your reasoning behind posting?

"Because I did it."

I also noticed the question in the first post included: "Does anyone know if this would be all right?"

I think I answered it very well by explaining the risks involved.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:45 PM   #22
Wilomn
Eh, as you will.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:45 PM   #23
hhmoore
I have to say, Stephanie, that you are coming off with a "because I said so" attitude. In many cases, while it may not be recommended (for a variety of reasons, and not limited to the ones you mentioned), one CAN house two snakes together. It CAN be done without either snake becoming ill, or eating the other. I have 2 adult female dumerils boas that I cohabitate most of the time now. I have cohabitated kings, milks, corns (king with king, milk with milk, etc...not intermixing) in the past as well. Do I recommend it? No, but it can be done if one is of a mind. Wes is correct on this one - keep in mind that nobody said it was without risk.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:55 PM   #24
Mokele
One thing I'm surprised nobody's mentioned as a problem is record keeping. I'm a stickler for keeping records on my animals, and maybe I'm just a touch obsessive-compulsive, but it would really bug me if I couldn't say whose poop was whose and suchlike. After all, if you find a weird looking / parasite-ridden feces in the cage, you'd have to either guess or treat both of them.

Henry

Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #25
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
In many cases, while it may not be recommended (for a variety of reasons, and not limited to the ones you mentioned), one CAN house two snakes together. It CAN be done without either snake becoming ill, or eating the other. I have 2 adult female dumerils boas that I cohabitate most of the time now. I have cohabitated kings, milks, corns (king with king, milk with milk, etc...not intermixing) in the past as well. Do I recommend it? No, but it can be done if one is of a mind. Wes is correct on this one - keep in mind that nobody said it was without risk.
I didn't deny that it hasn't been or can not be done without anything negative happening. Obviously Wes himself has not had a single problem cohabitating. You as another example have not had issues mixing the same species (however the question was on different species).

My point again is, why take the risk? Usually the answer to that is "I don't have the money for another cage." I don't believe that's a very good excuse. If you can't pay for an additional cage, how are you going to be able to provide long term care and vet bills that may arise?

I certainly agree that the reasons I listed are not the only reasons why it is not recommended. I named the top three on my list of reasons. Another major concern is breeding females to young and them dieing of egg binding (which I don't think that would be a problem considering the two species questioned in this thread...Hmmm, what would you call them? Cogs? ).

Old 11-05-2006, 11:03 PM   #26
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokele
One thing I'm surprised nobody's mentioned as a problem is record keeping. I'm a stickler for keeping records on my animals, and maybe I'm just a touch obsessive-compulsive, but it would really bug me if I couldn't say whose poop was whose and suchlike. After all, if you find a weird looking / parasite-ridden feces in the cage, you'd have to either guess or treat both of them.

Henry
First: if you can SEE parasites one of two things has occured. You either have super duper eyesight OR your keeping is pretty terrible. Maybe a third if the snake was recently aquired and you had no knowledge of it's parasite load BUT if you did that, you would be putting them together without any quarentine which is not the topic at hand.

Second: weird is subjective. I work with about a dozen species. Some of them regularly have loose stinky stools, some of them don't. Were I to combine these guys, knowing what their feces normally looked like when kept solo, there would be little problem telling who pooped what and when.

Third: you are a bit obsessive/compulsive, but that is not in and of itself bad, just your thing. I don't keep track, or a record of, poops in particluar, I just know that all my snakes do it far more than I would like them too.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:04 PM   #27
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokele
Another wonderful example, Henry! If one snake has an odd defecation or regurges, how are you going to know which did it?

Old 11-05-2006, 11:06 PM   #28
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
First: if you can SEE parasites one of two things has occured. You either have super duper eyesight OR your keeping is pretty terrible. Maybe a third if the snake was recently aquired and you had no knowledge of it's parasite load BUT if you did that, you would be putting them together without any quarentine which is not the topic at hand.
Actually Wes, that is a good point. If they have to be kept in quarantine separate, you would have to purchase another cage anyway, correct?

Old 11-05-2006, 11:12 PM   #29
Wilomn
So, all this is about purchasing a cage?

The possible combinations available that would lead to one keeping more than one species in the same enclosure are most likely infinate.

Why argue it further, I think I've made my point.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:22 PM   #30
hhmoore
Henry's example is one of many that I, myself, have offered while recommending that people do not house snakes together (the ones you stated are in there, as well, Steph). I stepped into this particular discussion because of what I was reading here - you very authoritatively stated that two snakes should never be kept in the same enclosure, and went on to say "No. Don't even think about it". You continued on to say that no responsible keeper would ever cohabitate animals; and that if a person couldn't/wouldn't provide proper care (to include separate housing), they shouldn't have them. Those are pretty strong words, and not even a little considerate of the fact that your way is not the only way. (I also found it surprising that you were threatening to lock this tread because somebody was disagreeing with you).

Bottom line is that while it may not be recommended, it can be done. Cohabitating animals bears with it certain risks, as well as making some parts of husbandry more difficult. Ultimately, it comes down to the keeper's willingness to deal with the risks and responsibilities that come along with it. If they are willing to do that - and that includes separating them if the situation merits it for any reason - then it is not your place to call them irresponsible or say that they shouldn't have their animals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread