Keeping snakes in the same cage - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #31
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
So, all this is about purchasing a cage?
No, of course not. Though the excuse of cohabitating is usually "I don't have the money for another cage."

Quote:
The possible combinations available that would lead to one keeping more than one species in the same enclosure are most likely infinate.
Agreed. You or I may have a quarantine room setup, but most individuals who ask this question are new to the hobby and don't have the "luxery" of such a room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
I also found it surprising that you were threatening to lock this tread because somebody was disagreeing with you
That was not why I mentioned locking the thread if it continued off course. I mentioned it because of a comment made by Wes:

Quote:
if you get off that high horse, which is in NO WAY related to the Whitest of White Steed ridden by the Masked Rider
and his history for getting aggressive with snide comments and name calling. I do not want it here, and posted a warning. If my intention was to lock it because he (or anyone else) disagreed with me, it would have been done by now. Wes has remained civil, so I see no reason to lock it. I appreciate the continued discussion, it's good for the forum.

I stand by my position that I think it would is wrong and illresponsible of me to cohabitate reptiles. I don't even cohabitate my Leos and they are known to do very well in groups.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:49 PM   #32
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
No, of course not. Though the excuse of cohabitating is usually "I don't have the money for another cage."

Agreed. You or I may have a quarantine room setup, but most individuals who ask this question are new to the hobby and don't have the "luxery" of such a room.

That was not why I mentioned locking the thread if it continued off course. I mentioned it because of a comment made by Wes:

and his history for getting aggressive with snide comments and name calling. I do not want it here, and posted a warning. If my intention was to lock it because he (or anyone else) disagreed with me, it would have been done by now. Wes has remained civil, so I see no reason to lock it. I appreciate the continued discussion, it's good for the forum.

I stand by my position that I think it would is wrong and illresponsible of me to cohabitate reptiles. I don't even cohabitate my Leos and they are known to do very well in groups.
LOL

NOW she talks in first person.

I'm almost always civil. I just use more words than most, don't put up with people telling me I'm wrong when I have conclusive evidence that I'm right, and am not real fond of condecension or being TOLD I MUST do a certain thing a certain way.

You did all of those. Repeatedly.

As I've stated at least a couple of times, I don't think you were writing what you were thinking, or not conveying your thinking clearly anyway. Perhaps it was just me, but being as I have some agreement with other posters, I am confident it was not.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:55 PM   #33
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
I'm almost always civil. I just use more words than most, don't put up with people telling me I'm wrong when I have conclusive evidence that I'm right, and am not real fond of condecension or being TOLD I MUST do a certain thing a certain way.
The "almost" part is what raised my concerns. I did not mean to imply that you are always uncivil or aggressive.

Also, please show me where I said "Wes, you must never cohabitate your reptiles because I said so."

You won't find it. In fact, I told you that I don't care what you do.

I also said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TME
In the end, each owner will do as they please...However I choose to not risk the health and "happiness" of my animals by forcing them into a cohabited situation.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:04 AM   #34
Wilomn
You speak many times of implications. I think you need to rethink your process of assimilation. YOU thought I implied something that I never did. YOU made a mistake and then posted over and over and over to try to prove you did not.

I am a fairly literal guy UNLESS I'm toying with someone, which was not the case here as even you acceeded.

YOU chose to take my words and interpret them to fit counter to your views instead of taking them at face value, which is all the value I place upon them.

You made the mess of this by not listening, figuratively of course, to what I was saying and instead hearing what you, figuratively, wanted to.

Whose fault is that?

I'm pretty good at making my point and had it been that species mixing was a good thing that everyone should do, don't you think I would have made a statement very VERY similar to this one?

Since I did not make any such statement at any time, you reached conclusions without reason.

You ASSumed and were wrong.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:47 AM   #35
TripleMoonsExotic
You know how you could have cleared it up, Wes? You could have said in your second post something along the lines of "I wasn't implying that anyone should cohabitate. I was stating that I was successful at it."

See how simple that was explaining your position?

Old 11-06-2006, 12:56 AM   #36
Wilomn
OR, you could have taken what I said as what I meant instead of making ASSumptions about what you thougt I meant.

That would have worked too.

In fact, that's my choice for the future.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:42 AM   #37
Junkyard
This thread needs a new title, or maybe its own place in Hell, but I don't mind one way or the other.

I have seen on multiple occasions different species of snake being cared for and kept in the same cage. I may not personally recommend doing so with different species, I do keep same species of animals in one cage. For me this only happens after quarantine and I have decided which animals I want to pair up for future breeding. I have not seen a female that was too small impregnated before it was ready to, they have a good idea of when to do it.

After seeing an entire facility set up for kingsnake breeding and all adults were housed together with an opposite sexed kingsnake, my mind was quickly made up. I can certainly be done without incident. I have even seen hognose snakes kept with other species of snakes.

If you decide to keep them together, feed both often and separately. Keep them separate until the feed response is gone, usually an hour after feeding they are okay to put back together. This was told to me by a large kingsnake breeder I know.

As far as the reasons why not to keep them together, they have been stated and it is a caution you should seriously think about before making your decision to house them together.

Of course the concern that there is not enough money for a cage and that is why these questions are asked, my response is "Buy a shoe box or sweater box from Target"

Old 11-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #38
Chris Steele
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
This thread needs a new title, or maybe its own place in Hell, but I don't mind one way or the other.
I would say this one is definately applicable for the hell forum! Haha Astara, your innocent question apparently started a war.

When I first started keeping multiple reptiles I asked about keeping two snakes together. Within minutes of my post I had been bashed by several people just for mentioning it. I though have kept some of mine together, but only temporarily. As of now all of mine are separate, because I have no reason or need to keep any together, not to mention that it would actually complicate things for me.

I never had any problems caging snakes together, I have only kept corns & corns and boas & boas together. I think it would make record keeping harder caging them together, not to mention feeding would take longer. I would definately only keep them together consistantly under two conditions: both snakes are known to be healthy, both are of the same species, and they are of the same gender.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:16 AM   #39
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Steele
When I first started keeping multiple reptiles I asked about keeping two snakes together. Within minutes of my post I had been bashed by several people just for mentioning it. I though have kept some of mine together, but only temporarily. As of now all of mine are separate, because I have no reason or need to keep any together, not to mention that it would actually complicate things for me.
Which is not how your question should have been answered. I see that a lot in forums where people are out right attacked for the question or simply told "no" without an explanation. However, I also see people who ask for advice, don't follow it and then the animals suffer. Really at times it seems as if it's a no win situation.

When I first started keeping cornsnakes, I kept the three I had in the same cage (not knowing any better). After more research and talking to other keepers I learned why it's better to house the separately. I have a decent sized colony now of healthy snakes who are easier to monitor since switching my husbandry practices.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #40
Chris Steele
The same for me Stephanie, I don't disagree with either of you two.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread