female growing too slow? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
mojobean
female growing too slow?

I have a female (Hooch) that i bought for Thanksgiving 2013. She was 7 1/2" when I got her, and was born August 21, 2013. She is now11 1/2", but still so incredibly small compared to the male (Earl) i bought january 22nd at 4" who is now about 18".
she eats well enough, and has gotten a little bigger ever so slowly, i'm just worried she will not reach a size that its safe to breed at.
Do females grow slower or should i be worried about anything?
She is healthy, and the sweetest thing. She loves to explore and is no less active than the 2 males i have. Earl matched her size early April and hasn't stopped growing.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
Ed Clark
Is the female housed by herself?

A few quick thoughts about maintaining a healthy dragon.
Good light, uva, uvb bulb changed frequently. heat and plenty of calcium dusted feeders.clean cages, no poop building up in cage, cleanliness is very important.

If a dragon is growing slow a fecal exam is a must.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:21 AM   #3
mojobean
she is housed by herself. hot side/basking 100-110,uva&uvb, cool side 70-75 at night 75-85 during day. she had a fecal in february and was on panacur. (i think that was the name of it… the milky white stuff)
all three had to take it.
i disinfect their cages every other week fully, and spot clean/disinfect in between.
paper substrate. she always poops in the same spot. calcium dusted dubia and mini super worms as she is so small. silkworms as often as i can. no crickets.
extreme spectrum of salad/greens goodness (she eats better than i do when it comes to salads)
I've been reading all the housing input on these forums for the better part of 1-1/2yrs, since i got my first beardie Mr. Y, so i'm fairly certain I've got that pretty squared away?
she didn't used to like water, but loves it now (after months of baths). loves sitting in the sunshine with me and any day that is at least 75 with full sun i take her outside.
i had thought maybe she was part rankins but i really don't think so.
OR… that like most of the critters that i seem to do really well with.. she is a runt.
maybe i'll schedule a vet visit just in case.. but i really don't think they are going to tell me anything different since last time.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
Mistyck
What type of UVB are you using? That makes a HUGE difference. How often do you change out the UVB?

Depending on who you bought her from she could have genetics that are causing her to be a runt.

Also if she's still that tiny, she will never be safe to breed. She is almost a year and barely the size of a 5 month old. So I wouldn't hold out hope for breeding her.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
mojobean
reptisun 10.0, the long tube version and i change them every 6 months since i don't have a way to measure uvb. mercury bulbs will not fit in my cages.
I got her from Atomic Lizard Ranch in AZ.
I figured she might never be safe to breed, but i was still hoping. Thats alright..

Runts have always been great for me.. we seem to get along extraordinarily well.
If I wish to breed later, I shall just find a more appropriate female.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:44 AM   #6
Ed Clark
There is always the possibility you have a dwarf. but yes a visit to the vet may prove worthwhile.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
mojobean
i will take her to the vet, but i think she is just a wee one and will remain small, like me. this is a pic of her when i got her (November 2013)
[IMG][/IMG]

and here are a couple from March 2014 where she is with Mr.Y who is going on about 2yrs if his PO gave me good info
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
mojobean
She gained an inch!

She has gained an inch in the past few weeks and is in full shed…!!!! Eating like a horse, and more active than usual. I started turning on her infrared heat bulb for a few hours each day and maybe it kicked her temps up just right? She also has some "new friends" located within view across the room (3 little rankins dragons) and they wave to each other occasionally. I have hope for her gaining in size yet!

Old 08-06-2014, 12:29 AM   #9
Ed Clark
She looks nice and plumpt and healthy!

Old 08-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
mojobean
last week she reached 13"! She is eating like a horse, like there is no tomorrow. Just how many super worms/roaches should i let her eat before cutting her off for the day?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!