DH sunglow x DH sunglow - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
mxracer4life
DH sunglow x DH sunglow

Breeding a possible super hypo het for albino to a hypo het for albino would give me 50% sunglows, 25% albinos and 25% possible super hypos het for albino, right? I am just giving an "average" percentege, I realize it may not be exact. My male is from a DH sunglow x DH sunglow breeding, making him a possible super DH sunglow. The only way I can PROVE it is to breed him to normal or recessive female. What would I get out of a litter from a super hypo het albino to an albino? The way I have proved supers is just breeding them to a normal, but I am just curious how I would prove him being a super with an albino female.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
brd7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
Breeding a possible super hypo het for albino to a hypo het for albino would give me 50% sunglows, 25% albinos and 25% possible super hypos het for albino, right? I am just giving an "average" percentege, I realize it may not be exact. My male is from a DH sunglow x DH sunglow breeding, making him a possible super DH sunglow. The only way I can PROVE it is to breed him to normal or recessive female. What would I get out of a litter from a super hypo het albino to an albino? The way I have proved supers is just breeding them to a normal, but I am just curious how I would prove him being a super with an albino female.
You are a little off on some of your numbers.

First of all you say your male is from a dbl het sunglow to a dbl het sunglow. This makes him a possible super hypo, and 66 percent het for albino, not guaranteed het albino.

If you breed a super hypo het albino to a hypo het albino you will get 25 % sunglow and 75 % hypos, 66% possible het for albino. Half of the litter would be supers.

If you breed a hypo het albino to a hypo het albino and neither is a super you could get out of a litter of 20, 3/4 hypos (this includes sunglows and hypos), and 1/4 normals (this includes albinos and normals). All hypos and normals would be 66% possible het for albino. 25% of the litter would be visual morph of sunglow or albino. 25% of all hypos, including sunglows would be supers.

If you breed a super hypo het albino to an albino, 50% of the litter would be sunglow and the other 50% would be hypos guaranteed het for albino. The only way a litter can be guaranteed het for albino is that one parents has to be an albino (albinos are-albino, sunglow, snow, or moonglow).

If you breed a hypo het albino that is not a super to an albino you would get, 25% sunglow, 25% albino, 25% hypo, and 25% normals. All babies that are not an albino would be guaranteed het for albino.

If your male proved to be not het for albino but proved to be a super hypo and you bred him to an albino, all babies would be dbl het sunglow. If you breed him to an albino and he proves to be not het for albino and not a super, you would get 50% hypos, and 50% normals, all het for albino, because one parent was albino.

Here is a breakdown of all babies in working with the albino gene, this refers to all babies that are not an albino of some kind,
het albino to visual albino breeding= guaranteed het albino babies
het albino to het albino breeding= 66% possible het albino babies
het albino to normal breeding= 50% possible het albino babies.

There is really no way to tell the hets from the non hets, you have to breed them to prove them out. And for the super hypos, you just have to breed as well to prove them out.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
mxracer4life
I am a little confused now. How would breeding a DH sunglow to a DH sunglow give me any normals? I was under the impression that breeding a DH to a DH, all young would carry the albino gene and any non sunglow or albinos would be hypos possible supers? And I must give you some information. I assumed the parents were both DH sunglows, the male came from peter kahl and I was just told he was a possible super het for albino, I guess a sunglow x albino or sunglow x DH sunglow breeding could make him a possible super as well, correct? Parents are not known at this time, I did not purchase him from peter kahl, a couple people have owned him since he was born.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
mxracer4life
I can understand getting normals out of a DH sunglow x albino breeding, but not a Dh sunglow x Dh sunglow breeding.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
brd7666
[quote=mxracer4life;914469]I am a little confused now. How would breeding a DH sunglow to a DH sunglow give me any normals? I was under the impression that breeding a DH to a DH, all young would carry the albino gene and any non sunglow or albinos would be hypos possible supers? And I must give you some information. I assumed the parents were both DH sunglows, the male came from peter kahl and I was just told he was a possible super het for albino, I guess a sunglow x albino or sunglow x DH sunglow breeding could make him a possible super as well, correct? Parents are not known at this time, I did not purchase him from peter kahl, a couple people have owned him since he was born.[/QUOTE]

If you have two dbl het sunglows that are not supers, 25% of the litter will be normal, 75% will be hypo, and of the hypos, 25% will be supers. The term normal applies to regular albinos, and the term hypo applies to sunglows also. A non super hypo is actually het for super hypo, it is a visual het though, so when you breed two hets together you get 66% that will inherit the gene, whether it's in het form or visual. In this case 3/4 of the litter is hypo and 25% of those are the super form, but you can't tell them apart. The remaining 25% will be normal, non hypo form. Breeding a super hypo to anything will give you all hypos.

Dbl het sunglow to dbl het sunglow gives you 66% possible het albino for anything other then the visual albinos, sunglow is albino. Any het to het breeding will only give you 25% visual and the rest are 66% possible hets. The only way for a baby to be guaranteed to carry the albino gene is for one parent to be albino, no exceptions.From a hypo to hypo breeding, all hypos are possible supers, but the percentage can vary depending on what the parents were. Two super hypos bred together will give you all super hypos.

You should never assume anything. It sounds like you really don't know what you have. You will just have to breed it and find out, that is your only option.

I know there are web sites out there with this information as well as books. My advise to you is learn about what you are doing before you do it. This will also help you because you won't be as likely to make false claims about the babies you produce. If you search you will find all of this information.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
mxracer4life
I purchased a DH sunglow in hopes of getting sunglows next year. I was told at the end of the sale he is a possible super. I was going to prove him out with an albino female. If he proved to be a super, I thought breeding him to a DH sunglow would give me a higher ratio of sunglows than it would if I bred to an albino, but from what I under stand my best shot will be to breed him to an albino female, which will prove him out and give me the best chance at more sunglows if he doesn't prove out. Follow me?

Old 04-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
brd7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
I purchased a DH sunglow in hopes of getting sunglows next year. I was told at the end of the sale he is a possible super. I was going to prove him out with an albino female. If he proved to be a super, I thought breeding him to a DH sunglow would give me a higher ratio of sunglows than it would if I bred to an albino, but from what I under stand my best shot will be to breed him to an albino female, which will prove him out and give me the best chance at more sunglows if he doesn't prove out. Follow me?
Well, I don't know how many more times I can post here. A dbl het sunglow is a hypo het albino. Take the hypo out of the equation for a minute. Het to het gives you 25 % visual morphs, and 75% normals that are possible het albino. The albino gene goes to 75% of the litter and 25% does not get the gene. Therefore, 2/3 of the normals are het for albino giving you the 66% possible het.

So dbl het sunglow to dbl het sunglow only gives you 25% visuals for the albino gene. Now a hypo is actually a het for super hypo, so two non super hypos will give you 3/4 hypos and 1/4 normals. It's the same principle, het super to het super gives you 75% gene carries, 25% will be supers and the rest are het for super, or non super hypo.

I would breed it to an albino female. Possible hets aren't worth anything. I already told you what you would get from that breeding. That is what I would do.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
mxracer4life
I under stand what you are saying. Possible supers are worth everything to me. Now a "possible" het albino or anery etc I have no interest in. But possible super hypos is a little different story to me since you still have the visual. Hypos are all that I mess with and I get enjoyment out of proving a super out. I also like the look more of a super, as they get older they don't "wash" out as some normal hypos do, and that tail, those saddles! lol. Thanks for your time and explaining all that to me. I will stick with the DH x albino pairing. later!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
OK, the reason you get normals with a DH to DH breeding, is because the Hypo gene on each parent is paired with a Normal/WT gene that is in a more or less recessive state. That gene has an equal chance of passing as the Hypo gene does. If both parents donate the WT gene, then a Normal appears.

If your Hypo DH does turn out to be super, then it only has 2 Hypo genes at that locus, and HAS to pass on one of them. So the whole litter will turn out Hypo if this is the case.

Do some reading here. Charles really knows his stuff, and puts it in an understandable format.

http://www.serpwidgets.com/Genetics/genetics.html

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!