Damian Salgado & Mark Caplan - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-30-2002, 10:18 PM   #1
Lewis
D & M Breeders...

Damian Salgado & Mark Caplan

D & M BREEDERS WEB SITE

Has anyone done bussiness with them???

How was your experience???

Any comments welcome...

Regards, Lewis T.

Old 08-31-2002, 07:18 AM   #2
BenSiegelReptiles
damien salgado bounced a check on me years ago.  I tried to make collection as easy as possible even offering to take animals in lieu of cash. He paid some of the money, but still owes a significant--i have contacted him periodically to be paid and he says he will, but never does. From what i hear, damien has burned quite a few people in the business. I know nothing of his partner mark caplan, except he threatened a lawsuit for me trying to collect monies from d and m reptile breeders, even though the d stands for damien salgado--regardess nothing ever came of it, as to be expected usually when people threaten lawsuits.----as of today, damien has never made good on his debt to me.

Old 09-04-2002, 01:39 PM   #3
Danny Mendez
Damian Salgado is one of those people you really need to steer clear from.

I have known Damian for many years as he is the local "shady reptile guy" around here in northern NJ.  This is like his third "company"..he used to own a retail store in Hoboken NJ (closed down, go figure), he builds cages (that he apparently never delivers as many patrons of the NY metro show can attest to), and is now apparently breeding high end snakes with alot of production of "hets".  Alot of "hets", hmmmm.

Do yourself a favor and steer clear.

Old 01-07-2004, 07:59 PM   #4
SERPENTS DEN
Thumbs down D&M Reptile Breeders Inc.

I've had more than one dealing with D&M and I should have learned the first time. One dealing took place several years ago when they purchased several thousand dollars in animals that they got from me in person. Several weeks have gone bye and they charged back the credit card without my knowledge. Luckily I was able to get my animals back but I still had to travel to NJ since they would not bring them back to me.
My other dealing was being overcharged on a CB'03 male Pastel Ball Python and Damian said he would send me a check several times now and at this point I'm not holding my breath.
All I can say is it's all been a very SHADY deal and I'm not even going to mention the prettier Pastel he offered me with crackling bones....lol
It so happens I had a customer come into my store tonight and he questioned if I knew of D&M and I told this guy my dealing and while he was here I figured let me do a search on here and found this posting and also showed it to this guy. He left now and I thought I would post my experience with D&M too.
As far as ever doing any business with them again, not a chance.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:38 AM   #5
SERPENTS DEN
Wink Re: D&M Reptile Breeders Inc.

Quote:
Originally posted by serpentsden
I've had more than one dealing with D&M and I should have learned the first time. One dealing took place several years ago when they purchased several thousand dollars in animals that they got from me in person. Several weeks have gone bye and they charged back the credit card without my knowledge. Luckily I was able to get my animals back but I still had to travel to NJ since they would not bring them back to me.
My other dealing was being overcharged on a CB'03 male Pastel Ball Python and Damian said he would send me a check several times now and at this point I'm not holding my breath.
All I can say is it's all been a very SHADY deal and I'm not even going to mention the prettier Pastel he offered me with crackling bones....lol
It so happens I had a customer come into my store tonight and he questioned if I knew of D&M and I told this guy my dealing and while he was here I figured let me do a search on here and found this posting and also showed it to this guy. He left now and I thought I would post my experience with D&M too.
As far as ever doing any business with them again, not a chance.

I would like everyone to know Damian has made good with me and his reason for being slow was he had the flu which is understandable by me.

Old 01-11-2004, 09:42 AM   #6
BenSiegelReptiles
comepensation

damien and mark have since more than compensated me for the check issue-i would say they paid in animals more than double the amount that was owed, and i felt the resolution was more than fair-i go into greater detail on another thread-Ben Siegel

Old 02-06-2004, 08:31 PM   #7
snakeman1313
I have personally know Damion for over 2 years, and have had the pleasure of seeing his facility many times. He has a beautiful facility and many georgous animals. I have also done more than a couple of deals with him and he has always been more than fair with me. He also has helped me many times with reptiles that I did not even buy from him!!! He is truly one of the good guys and while he may produce alot of hets they are all true hets and never misrepresented (I can say this because of knowledge of his breedings). I had no idea producing hets was a crime. Vincent Caruso

Old 02-06-2004, 10:34 PM   #8
Brian Oakley
Vince, this is nothing against you as I trust your deals were what you say.

As a general statement, there is something I have noticed about people that are shady. They always have good deals with people that are close or come to their shop, etc. Why would someone burn someone that is easy to be contacted by in person?
These same people, like it has been mentioned on this thread (and applies to other shady breeders) are people that are of distance and cannot, or at least unlikely, to confront the person they have been wronged by.
Now, I have not done business with them so my opinion means nothing, but by what I have read, I would pass.

Flu or not, it takes no energy to write a check and drop it in the mail to pay someone you OWE money to. Someone who charges back their credit card is a thief. Someone who bounces checks is a thief.

That is how I look at it, just my opinion.
THere are PLEANTY of good people that would love to earn your business who will treat you right. All it would take is ONE instance like any one of you that have mentioned your experience with them to keep me from buying. I think trust, honesty, etc. is a MAJOR part of running a business or just a person to person relationship. I do not give second chances or like I said, a first chance if they have acted like it has been mentioned here.

I hear all these excuses people come up with as to why they could not come through with what they say. YES, things can happen and be understood at times, but it is just TOO EASY to sell someone something without ANY problems that would cause me or anyone else to question your integrity.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:48 PM   #9
Urban Jungles
Just FYI

I have known Damian for probably over 10 years, I even worked with him for a bit when he had a retail space in Hoboken, NJ. In fact, I knew Damian well before he even thought about breeding any herps for profit and I am even the godfather of his child. I can tell you first hand he's one of the shadiest people in the herp business...I've witnessed many of his cons first hand. This is the reason I've chosen to distance myself from him as much as possible.

I wouldn't buy a het from him even if I saw the parents mate, and give birth right in front of me.

Old 02-06-2004, 11:15 PM   #10
Brian Oakley
Well, that is some honesty if I ever read it.

That really is sad. I just wish people did better for themselves.

I guess what frustrates me more than anything (I was talking to a friend about this the other night) is there have been quite a few people come out lately that are like this. It just blows me away. I can't, for the life of me, understand it.

Think about it. How hard is it to be a man of your word? Takes no effort at all I thik. Ti takes more work to screw someone that it would to do what is right. Ok, maybe they do it for the money. People would probably make more money if they did people right. I hear people who say that the 'advertisement' they get, even off a bad thread, increases business. I can't vouch for that as I have never been in that position. If that is indeed the case, it says allot about the people that are buying from these individuals.

Am I over analizing things tonight?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!