Inbreeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
whiskersmom
Inbreeding

Lately there's been quite alot of discussion regarding inbreeding bearded dragons in order to create what some people think are a desirable trait. I think this is wrong but would like to know what others think.
Let me put it this way...do you think that it's worth the risk of genetic related problems (even years down the line) to breed related dragons?

Old 06-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Tere Salazar
No, I absolutely do NOT agree with inbreeding, for any reason. I am now aware that a lot of our dragons were inbred to create higher color, but am pretty sure that had I been aware that's what it took, I probably would not have purchased them. Hindsight is always 20-20, you know?

I am of the personal belief that the already close relation in bloodlines of dragons in the U.S. is what has caused some of the issues that dragons have now, and certainly don't think we need to intentionally do something to increase those issues.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
whiskersmom
Quote:
I am now aware that a lot of our dragons were inbred to create higher color, but am pretty sure that had I been aware that's what it took, I probably would not have purchased them.
I think that people believe that just because we once practiced this, that we can continue to do this. But the way I see it is at one time we all thought Asbestos was ok....we know better now, don't we?

I've read on other forums some people believe that inbreeding in dogs and cats to get a certain trait is fine, therefore it should be ok with reptiles, and I'm wondering how others feel about this?

Old 06-22-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskersmom
I've read on other forums some people believe that inbreeding in dogs and cats to get a certain trait is fine, therefore it should be ok with reptiles, and I'm wondering how others feel about this?
here kitty, kitty, kitty....my kitties are het for human..pretty kitty !!!
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
whiskersmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
here kitty, kitty, kitty....my kitties are het for human..pretty kitty !!!
So, does that mean you are for it or against it?

Old 06-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
Tere Salazar
OMG, Jean. Those are great!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
mikey
Just doing my part to lighten the mood around here..and give everyone a good friday chuckle !

Old 06-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #8
mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskersmom
So, does that mean you are for it or against it?
I will answer in a litttle more detail later, but right now I have got to separate my feeder roaches, because I just know there must be inbreeding going on in them there bins...

Old 06-22-2007, 06:58 PM   #9
puppytoes72
omg jean,im lmao over here! just for the record there is NO excuse for inbreeding and it makes me sick what certain breeders are doing

Old 06-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
puppytoes72
well sherri,im sure you wont mind me posting this over here since the "smoothie"thread got locked and this thread is relevant to what i need to say.i think that if a breeder (such as dachiu) is going to promote inbreeding (such as the silkback) they should be around to answer questions everyone knows what the questions are since they have been asked many times but not clearly answered.

Closed Thread