Ransomware - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:12 PM   #11
Lucille
Thank you Joe. I went to look at SAS and it looks fine but it seems to have a single version, not a different one for Macs. Is that OK?

Old 04-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #12
JColt
Totally skipped the Mac part :P Only for windows. Bitdefender is good at $40. Does virus and malware or Avast Free works really well on Mac, also virus and malware. Sorry I wasn't paying attention.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #13
JColt
I only do about 5 or 6 Macs a year. Usually hardware problem or upgrades. Here is info I saved for malware type mac stuff. I think I have only needed to use this info twice but works!

Quote:
What to do when a website says you have malicious software on your Mac? If you are browsing a website and it claims to have detected malicious software, malware, or a virus (or simply states it has "detected problems" with your Mac), then follow these steps:

If you're in Safari (or another web browser) and get a warning about malicious software, virus, or problems detected, quit Safari by choosing Safari > Quit. If Safari refuses to quit, force-quit the app (Control-click the Safari icon and choose Force Quit).
Go to the Downloads folder and drag any install files, or files that you don't recognise, to the Trash.
Empty the Trash (Control-Click the Trash icon and choose Empty Trash). By doing this you will dodge the problem in the first place. You haven't installed any software, or handed over your credit-card details. We'd suggest you don't return to that website.

That's how to avoid falling into the trap of installing malware to remove malware, but how do you remove malware...

Here's what to do if you suspect you've already installed malware on to your Mac - typically because a website claimed to have detected problems. Follow these steps to remove the software:

If the app is open, check the name of the app.
Move or close the app window.
Open the Utilities folder (Command-Shift-U).
Open Activity Monitor.
Choose All Processes.
Go to the Utilities folder in the Applications folder and launch Activity Monitor.
Look for an app called MacDefender, MacSecurity or MacProtector. Or look for the name of the app (from Step 1).
Click the Quit Process button (top-left) and select Quit.
Quit Activity Monitor.
Open the Applications folder and locate the app (called MacDefender, MacSecurity, MacProtector, or some other name).
Drag the unwanted app to the Trash. Empty the trash.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #14
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
Totally skipped the Mac part :P Only for windows. Bitdefender is good at $40. Does virus and malware or Avast Free works really well on Mac, also virus and malware. Sorry I wasn't paying attention.
Thank you for the info, I printed it out as I am sure others did as well.
I will look at Avast
I have Bitdefender, it is not working, they have not so good customer service, I lost my protection because they switched my account to a different 'platform'. I do not want to deal with them.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #15
JColt
I've installed avast on a lot of pc's. Not memory hog and catches lots of bugs.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:24 PM   #16
Lucille
I'm trying out Avast. Joe you are awesome thank you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!