Cancer can Suck It! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #1
phoenix-cry
Cancer can Suck It!

The past few weeks have been rough ones for me and my husband. A month ago he found a lump and when we first went to the doctor they said it was most likely just an abscess but that they wanted to get an Ultrasound ASAP and get an appointment with a Urologist. The ultrasound was done, but due to a mix up the results weren't relayed to us right away. Since my husband is a very healthy man (we gym 5 days a week and eat clean as we can) and had no symptoms other than the lump we felt it was safe to wait til the Urology appointment that was two weeks away. At the office the doctor came in and instantly explained that my husbanded needed an orchiectomy *immediately* and that he was 80% sure that this was cancer. The doctor wanted to do it that very day but my husband had eaten and couldn't go under anesthesia. The doctor worked with the hospital to get him the next day (a Friday). I was so grateful that they were able to work him into a busy day surgery schedule and that we didn't have to wait the weekend!

Surgery went well, but we were informed that the ultrasound had also shown a mass on his kidney (when they ultrasound testicles they do kidneys as well since that's often where the first spread is found). The doctor told us that this was likely just a fatty mass and that we would have to get a full body CT scan and the biospy from the surgery before we could move forward. Since it was a Friday night by the time the surgery was over we had to wait (the *wait* is the hardest part). The CT couldn't be done until Thursday, and his follow up appointment and hopefully the biopsy report was scheduled for Friday.

I can't tell you how long a week it was. Did anyone else notice that it was the longest week the Earth has ever had? No? Just us?

I have to say my husband has been so strong through all of this and other than my own moments of panic we manged to spend a good week together (he was off work due to surgery, I only had to work Tues by pure happenstance). Our 13th wedding anniversary is coming up in a few weeks and we've been together for 17 wonderful years, but I really expect to get another 50-60 years out of my man!

On Friday we got the second best news that we could have hoped to get. His biopsy came back as cancer, however it was Stage One with clean margins and no signs of metastasis (spread). The mass on his kidney turned out to just be an ultrasound artifact (a shadow on the ultrasound that wasn't really there, it happens. Ultrasounds are good not great). With the surgery the cancer was fully removed. We still need to meet with an oncologist because we do have the option of doing one cycle of Chemo to reduce risk of recurrence from approximately 10% down to aprox 3%. We haven't decided, we need to learn more about risk vs reward, the doctor seemed to feel that monitoring with CT scans for a while was better than blasting his body with chemo but the doctor wanted us to speak to the experts and we agree.

In all of this the one thing I have learned is how few people know that testicular cancer is a young man's affliction (usually found in men age 20-50). Awareness is *so* important for this cancer. This is a very treatable form of cancer but your odds of survival sky rocket if you catch it early and act FAST! From the time my husband found the lump to the time he had surgery was three weeks, and if we had been more pushy about getting the ultrasound results it would have been sooner (this slip was a clerical error that was really no one's fault, but does show that you must advocate for yourself).

I know this hobby has a lot of men in it and so I'm sharing our story to hopefully help someone else have as positive an outcome as we have had.

I also drew myself a new tattoo while my husband was getting his CT scan. In a few weeks my friend and talented tattoo artist is going to tattoo this in full color to my outer forearm. The ribbon will be purple (the color for several cancers), the orchids are woven in because they are associated with testicular cancer due to the root word for orchid in Latin meaning testicle (apparently whoever named orchids thought they looked like testicles...and also felt that would make a great flower name).

My hope is that people will ask me the meaning behind this piece and I can spread more awareness.

Hugs to everyone!

Old 05-21-2017, 12:41 AM   #2
Insomniac101
Lauren,

Thank you for sharing your husband's experience, and that's great news that the surgeons got it in time! Please let us know what you two decide about chemo - as I'm sure you know, it's toxic to all cells, not just the cancerous ones, and certainly not a decision to be made without weighing all the pros and cons.

Kathy

Old 05-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
phoenix-cry
Hugs. Thank you very much. So far without getting the advice of the oncologist we are leaning heavily toward monitoring the situation. The risks and dangers of chemo seem severe. The regular doc gave me the impression that chemo would be like aiming a firehose at an unlit match.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:12 AM   #4
Robert Walker
"Cancer can Suck It!"
Great attitude - attitude can make all the difference when facing some of life's challenges.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
Lucille
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband, that there is no recurrence and that both of you continue to use this very stressful experience to help save the lives of others with information.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #6
ElliotNess
God Bless you both. You sound like the rock he needs tough guy or not. Awesome drawing....

Old 05-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #7
phoenix-cry
Hugs! Thank you all for your support! This has been such a life changing experience. We both work so hard on our health but this goes to show that vigilance is always still needed. Never fall back on 'it can't happen to me', get checked! The enemy of cancer is awarness!

I will post pictures of the tattoo once it's done. We are starting it June 3rd, but it may take a few sessions.

Hugs!

Old 05-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #8
nickolasanastasiou
Thank you for sharing this and for spreading awareness. Congratulations to you both for overcoming that, too. Best wishes for the health of you both going forward.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #9
WebSlave
"Cancer". Probably the scariest word in the world. To me, at least. Heck, I'm 66 years old and wonder how the heck I have dodged that bullet for so long myself. The odds are terrible, it seems. Knocking on wood..

Hope things work out well for you both and your husband has a clean bill of health from here on out.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #10
phoenix-cry
Thank you both. Hugs!

I work in the medical field and 'cancer' is the one word that sends a shiver down all our spines.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!