How about inbreeding Erebennus? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-10-2006, 07:54 AM   #1
shytownjb
How about inbreeding Erebennus?

Now that I have your attention. I have a pair of '06 erebennus I got from Mike here in Ohio. They are sibs and both he and I are looking for an unrelated pair to trade. I have no intentions of breeding brother and sister, but wanted a M/F so that I could hopefully trade one or the other to someone for an unrelated animal. There is also the option of trading pair for pair and Mike and I would split them up amongst ourselves for the genetic diversity. Mike got this pair from Dean A., so we would need something that didn't come from Dean. I saw there is another person here in Ohio selling some out of Columbus..Terry Wilkins so I might try him as well. Anyone know him?
On another note, I thought about trying to write a program that would allow us to track lineages of species. After all this talk about inbreeding I thought it might be helpful to build a database of information for the community. I would need help from some of the experts here to build the requirements. For instance, how would the "original" stock be identified? Would we say something like "Dean A." stock, "Jeff S. " stock? Should anyone be able to enter their own info., or should there be an admin., where only a few people could enter it in the database. I don't know if this would be helpful, but I would like to do something to help the community and drymarchon in particular. I am a senior web developer for LexisNexis, so I know how to code. I also thought that maybe an indicator that would show anomalies/problems that have arisen from pairings, such as dwarfism, egg binding and other problems.

What do you all think? Would it be worthwhile? I am going to post on the "other" board for maximum input. (Please don't be offended Anthony )

Old 08-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
epidemic
Work already in progress

Hello, Anthony,

Unfortunately, there is little to no history regarding the origins of any captive Drymarchon spp., so tracking lineages would be next to impossible, but I feel as though we must start some place and it has been suggested, by many, the creation of D. couperi and D. m erebennus studbooks might be in order. Unfortunately, the collective interest was simply not there and you may wish to review some of the forum archives to this regard. It has also been suggested, a registry of breeders and their animals be developed and I am pleased to say such an endeavor is currently under way, in conjunction with the development of a Drymarchon spp. specific website, which will work to increase the public awareness of protected native Drymarchon spp. and act as a registry for breeders interested in taking part of such. It will also serve as a clearing house for information regarding the captive maintenance and husbandry of the genus.
As for naming conventions, I prefer to ID animals within my collection according to the first two initials of the breeders name, year they were born, clutch assignment, species and sex, such as JS/06/A/EI/0.1; this tells me the animal in question is from a clutch I produced in ’06, was the first clutch of the year, the species being eastern indigo and the sex as being female. Of course, there are many other identification methods that can be used, some of which ID the specimen and links such to both the breeder and the parents of the specimen being identified.

Best regards,

Jeff

Old 08-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
shytownjb
Cool. Just thought I would try to help if I could, especially after all the inbreeding discussions as of late.
I like the naming conventions you have Jeff.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!