New Here - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
twisted1
New Here

Hi. I just came upon this site... good thing I did. I'm thinking of getting a bearded dragon. I had an iguana, Abek, for over 6 years, I moved away after 2 years and left it in the care of my parents but sadly, it died 4 years later. I'm assuming that a beardie requires the same things as an iguana excluding dietary needs.

I already purchased a reptarium, uv lighting, spot light, and thermometer. I think the thermometer that comes in the set is a stick on, so far I've read that they aren't so accurate. When that comes I'll get the dragon as well as a log for it to climb on and something for it to hide in, and food. Am I missing anything?

Old 04-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
dinkanber
Sounds good .how big is the tank?

i use a temp gun myself it gives very accurate temps.You can find them for about 430 on e bay..Make sure the UVb light is a 10.0.And your temps need to be right.110-115 in basking 90 in hot and 75 in cool

Lisa

Old 04-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
dinkanber
Oh yeah supplements do you have those yet.i give cal w D3 once a week and plain cal every other day.if he is a baby it needs to be every day.And a muliti vita once a week

Old 04-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
twisted1
It's a 65 gallon tank (no glass). Is that too big for a baby? It won't be crowded. Yes I forgot about the supplements, I'll get those too. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
dinkanber
For a small baby maybe.But what you can do is get something to devide it with.Like some cardboard.Then you can adjust it as he grows.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Just wondered what type & brand of UVB lights you are using? A flourescent tube light or a compact or coil light? What type of basking light are you using in conjunction with the UVB light?
Your basking only needs to be around 95-110. It is not wise to raise basking temps much above 110-112. Over time, too high of temps for too long of periods of time, can lead to chronic dehydration & organ failure. The cool side should run around 78-82 & the ambient temps should be no higher than around 85.
Let us know if you have any questions.

Tracie

Old 04-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
twisted1
The set comes with an 18" Reptisun 5.0 tube and Powersun 100W UVB heat bulb. I bought the kit from LLLReptile.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:12 AM   #8
Valley Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted1
I already purchased a reptarium, uv lighting, spot light, and thermometer.
You'll have to really watch the temperatures if you are keeping him in a reptarium. They don't hold heat at all. They are really designed for chameleons.

Jamie

Old 04-06-2008, 01:31 AM   #9
Dennis Hultman
Welcome!

Old 04-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
twisted1
Thanks Jamie, I'll keep an eye on it. The kit also comes with green moss, is it useful or should I toss it?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!