All BD breeders should read this... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
jmp745
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEdwards View Post
This is not a discussion about what is legal and not but to inform breeders.
Sorry, but you dont get to steer peoples responses like that. He made a couple of good points and it has directly to do with the conversation you started. If you "inform" people of something, and he thinks its bad information and possibly even illegal then that should also be talked about.

no offense meant

Old 04-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Draco11
It's good to know how do do your own fecals. What if you cant get a Vet appointment for at least two weeks, and you have a dragon that was say shipped to you in horrible condition. very skinny even though it's eating like no return. It would help all dragon breeders so they can get a chance to stop the parasites from spreading to other dragons, so the breeder can get the infected one in quarantine and get the dragon or other reptile treated

Old 04-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
OEdwards
Yes I agree Sonia that is why I posted this many people do not want or sometimes cannot afford vet payments so it is nice to have medicine close by and a way to preform your own fecals. When I use to go to the vet it cost around $75 for pancur and albon and here it is much cheaper.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
Draco11
Wow, that vet ripped you off!, which is another reason to learn to do your own fecals, it is a part of your business. Even though hard to think of all your beardies sometimes. It's natural for the babies to eat each others poop, to get the flora in their gut to be able to digest greens. In the wild they would follow other adults at a distance and eat anothers poop for the flora. So you can imagine how fast parasites can spread.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
dragonsbygemini
Cheryl at Rio reptiles/ Beardeddragon.co offers a much more afforadable diy fecal kit, she is also very knowledgeable and will help you with most any question you can throw at her. Diy fecals are a great way to make sure that all of your animals are healthy and doing well.
http://www.beardeddragons.co/bearded...product_id=201

Old 04-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #16
witblits
I see beardeddragons.co also sells 'Baytril'.

Irresponsible. Baytril is used as a 'last line' antibiotic. Indiscriminate use like this would end up in this very valuable antibiotic becoming useless. The same principle aplies as to the deworming medication.

The principle is; when you give the wrong drugs at the wrong dose to animals that don't need that drug you are creating massive problems. For example, if your dragons is ill and you give it 'Baytril' but it doesn't have a bacterial infection all you are doing is creating 'baytril-resistant drugs'. Your dragon gets over his illness but ends up getting a rspiratory infection 2 months later for some reason. Now you take him to the vet. The vet prescribes Baytril. But your dragon doesn't get better. You blame the vet. But your the idiot.

These drugs are scheduled for a very good reason.

In SA most anthelminthic drugs aren't sheduled medicine. This is why we are seeing so much resistance in worms.

Please do not abuse these drugs. Most dragons do not need deworming! If you see eggs on the feacal float this does not meet you must deworm.

I am making this post because in the long run it will save more dragons and it will save you money! If you end up with resistant Coccidia by treating every dragon that has coccidia 'eggs' in their feaces then this will happen in no time. You will be out of business in just as quickly!

Goodbye

Old 04-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
witblits
(edited a spelling mistake. can't find the 'edit' tab)

Irresponsible. Baytril is used as a 'last line' antibiotic. Indiscriminate use like this would end up in this very valuable antibiotic becoming useless. The same principle applies as to the deworming medication.

The principle is; when you give the wrong drugs at the wrong dose to animals that don't need that drug you are creating massive problems. For example, if your dragons is ill and you give it 'Baytril' but it doesn't have a bacterial infection all you are doing is creating 'baytril-resistant bacteria'. Your dragon gets over his illness but ends up getting a rspiratory infection 2 months later for some reason. Now you take him to the vet. The vet prescribes Baytril. But your dragon doesn't get better. You blame the vet. But your the idiot.

In SA most anthelminthic drugs aren't sheduled medicine. This is why we are seeing so much resistance in worms.

Please do not abuse these drugs. Most dragons do not need deworming! If you see eggs on the feacal float this does not meet you must deworm.

I am making this post because in the long run it will save more dragons and it will save you money! If you end up with resistant Coccidia by treating every dragon that has coccidia 'eggs' in their feaces then this will happen in no time. You will be out of business in just as quickly!

Goodbye

Old 04-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #18
witblits
(edited a spelling mistake. can't find the 'edit' tab)

Irresponsible. Baytril is used as a 'last line' antibiotic. Indiscriminate use like this would end up in this very valuable antibiotic becoming useless. The same principle applies as to the deworming medication.

The principle is; when you give the wrong drugs at the wrong dose to animals that don't need that drug you are creating massive problems. For example, if your dragons is ill and you give it 'Baytril' but it doesn't have a bacterial infection all you are doing is creating 'baytril-resistant bacteria'. Your dragon gets over his illness but ends up getting a respiratory infection 2 months later for some reason. Now you take him to the vet. The vet prescribes Baytril. But your dragon doesn't get better. You blame the vet. But your the idiot.

Goodbye

(Also; 'you', 'him', 'her' etc doesn't apply to anyone. Just an example)

Old 04-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #19
KelliH
I agree with you Jacques.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #20
OEdwards
Yes , I will agree that not all dragons need deworming at the site of one or two eggs or ispora I had seen that a study showed that in small amounts the virus will not flourish nor harm the dragon and in some case the "diseases" will die and it also said that all dragons have a very small trace of coccidia in them that does not need to be treated I personaly would still monitor more closely to be sure there is no further growth by cunducting fecals every so offten.( Just to be on the safe side. )

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!