Profanity - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #11
TriangleReptiles
I for one am glad to be able to go to a discussiuon and not be bombarded with the profanity and vulgarity. I am not a prude, but it accomplishes nothing but showing the users lack of vocabulary.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #12
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsnake1 View Post
I for one am glad to be able to go to a discussiuon and not be bombarded with the profanity and vulgarity. I am not a prude, but it accomplishes nothing but showing the users lack of vocabulary.

Absolutely! Those programs teenagers watch on TV are incredible. It's almost impossible to follow the conversation as it goes like this: "yea, it's bleep bleep

Old 01-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #13
WebSlave
Yeah, I've been on forums where profanity is not only the norm, but each member apparently tries to outdo the other. I figure the forum is overrun with either kids trying to impress each other, knuckle draggers who don't know any better, or both.

I was on one music forum where the owner used a huge helping of profanity to lash out at members just because they were discussing a topic he disagreed with. I told the guy what I thought of him, NOT using profanity, mind you, and pointed out how unprofessional he appears to his audience.

I haven't been back since, and probably got banned. No loss to me....

Obviously I have seen enough of that sort of thing that I just don't want my site viewed the same way. My only concession is the HELL forum, and even then I sometimes get the urge to put the axe to that one. I don't think I have used profanity even there.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #14
GreenCountryHerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Yeah, I've been on forums where profanity is not only the norm, but each member apparently tries to outdo the other. I figure the forum is overrun with either kids trying to impress each other, knuckle draggers who don't know any better, or both.

I was on one music forum where the owner used a huge helping of profanity to lash out at members just because they were discussing a topic he disagreed with. I told the guy what I thought of him, NOT using profanity, mind you, and pointed out how unprofessional he appears to his audience.

I haven't been back since, and probably got banned. No loss to me....

Obviously I have seen enough of that sort of thing that I just don't want my site viewed the same way. My only concession is the HELL forum, and even then I sometimes get the urge to put the axe to that one. I don't think I have used profanity even there.
Totally agree
Adults should act like adults, profanity isn't necessary and it seems like the young ones like to use it more than the older mature people. I guess the younger generation is always trying to one up each other.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #15
WebSlave
I think I need to re-address this issue.

Been seeing an increase in members using profanity on this site, and then in some instances lashing out at the moderator who gave them an infraction. Of course, they use even more foul language in their responses to the moderator, apparently believing that their use of profanity is some sort of God given right that management here has to allow.

First off, this is a publicly accessible message board. In some instances, corporate firewall filters will filter out and/or block sites completely that have a large helping of profane words used in the posted text. Since many people will view this site from their work computers, I do not want that to happen to this site. I am trying to encourage more traffic and more participation, so this route is directly contrary to what I hope to accomplish here.

Plus minors will often view this site, having a budding interest in animals and wanting to learn more. So when their parents note the amount of profanity seen in the postings their children are viewing, they will likely block this site's access to them as well. Do I want potential new participants and advertisers blocked from this site? Do sellers here want potentially new customers blocked from viewing their ads? I don't think you need to be a genius to come up with the correct answers to those questions.

Now if anyone can present a convincing argument to me why I should not be concerned about such things, and welcome profanity all across this site, and that perspective is completely wrong, then by all means, take a stab at it. But just to head the argument off before it starts, I don't CARE what has become more commonplace in the media. I don't CARE what is normal for you, your family, and your friends. If you feel that the use of profanity in your publicly posted messages is absolutely necessary for your own wellbeing, health, comfort, or survival, then quite likely you need to come to realize that this site is just not one you are going to be welcome to participate within. But go ahead, prove me wrong. I've been known to change my mind once or twice in my lifetime.

Now, as far as members sending profanity laced private messages or emails using this site's functions, please consider that as your swan song. The moderators are volunteers here, and they just do not deserve that sort of abuse. They are helping me to keep this site running in a manner that will hopefully be acceptable to the majority of the participants. If YOU make it uncomfortable or distressful for them having to deal with YOU, then trust me, YOU are a whole lot more expendable to me than they are. You will be lucky if they ban you for only three days. If I get to you first, it will be a ban for a LOT longer. Depending on the severity of the discourse, perhaps even permanent. As for sending ME profanity laced PMs or emails, I will assume that you have no desire nor intention of coming back to this site and will treat that notice as is deserved. I just don't need such people in my life, so they will be booted out of it.

I have been ratcheting up the severity of such infractions over the past couple of years rather than just jumping in and throwing up a brick wall for people to smash into overnight, not realizing my goals. I actually did that once, and it didn't go over very well, so I am being more conservative this time around about the pressure I want to apply here. But I am prepared to ratchet the pressure up another notch, even if it means weeding out the people who can't seem to live without typing in profanity. Not quite to the "one strike and you are out" level yet, but I'm getting aggravated enough about people crapping in my site to where that is a distinct possibility in the very near future.

Seriously people, you can't make your point without profanity? Do you really think it makes YOU look better in other people's eyes? Seriously? I mean, SERIOUSLY?? How early in life did your education and maturity just STOP?

Old 01-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #16
Lucille
I think many people make the grave mistake here of thinking that Fauna is like Las Vegas (what happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas, it's a saying I heard once. I've never been to Las Vegas so I don't know for sure). They couldn't be more wrong.

It has just about become a part of due diligence for companies to do internet searches prior to employment. Your real name is here and whatever you say is going to come right up for the consideration of your prospective boss.

You might think about that before you hit the 'submit' button on a profanity laced comment made in the heat of the moment.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #17
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I think many people make the grave mistake here of thinking that Fauna is like Las Vegas (what happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas, it's a saying I heard once. I've never been to Las Vegas so I don't know for sure). They couldn't be more wrong.

It has just about become a part of due diligence for companies to do internet searches prior to employment. Your real name is here and whatever you say is going to come right up for the consideration of your prospective boss.

You might think about that before you hit the 'submit' button on a profanity laced comment made in the heat of the moment.
Actually this is very true. Along the same lines, I have gotten many requests over the years to delete old BOI threads because the person was distraught about prospective employers reading about them in those threads. My take on it that this is very good incentive for people to do good business NOW and don't cheat or scam people. When your wrong doings get exposed, no matter how far into the future, you have no one to blame but yourself. So, basically, TOUGH. You made your life. Tough on you that now you find your life uncomfortable because of your poor choices in the past. Yeah, you CAN get out of reptiles, but you still can't escape the past you made.

Same with the potential that some prospective employer might not be all that thrilled about the idea of hiring someone with anger management issues being implied by their use of profanity in postings here. Jobs are getting tougher and tougher to come by, so if you just put yourself at a disadvantage by how you act in a public forum, that's a REAL shame for you. Don't come to me crying about not getting the jobs you want because of what you posted here coming back to haunt you. They will NOT be deleted or edited, so don't even bother asking.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #18
Helenthereef
I'm in total agreement, I use profanity in everyday speech, and think it's funny in many of the contexts used in the Hell forum, but wouldn't use it in regular postings and certainly don't need to read it in such. It often raises the temperature of arguments and reduces rationality.

Anyway it's good for the brain to have to stretch a little and find some alternative phrases...

Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #19
Magic
Call me old fashioned, but there are some profane expressions that I just plain find offensive. I can (and do!) use the cursing alternative of darnit and crap, but some of the other words and phrasing? No.

Overall, I very much so enjoy this site and it's relatively safe language. I appreciate the mods who make it so.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #20
LauraB
Quote:
Now if anyone can present a convincing argument to me why I should not be concerned about such things, and welcome profanity all across this site, and that perspective is completely wrong, then by all means, take a stab at it.
There is no convincing argument (IMO) that should sway your prospective.

Even as one who did, in fact, receive an infraction for failing to delete the profanity from someone's email I cut and pasted in an old post, I would never want to see the rules lifted or even relaxed. I can't think of something more damaging to Fauna than a site-wide trash mouth free-for-all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!