Boa breeding suggestions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-22-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
Zackky11
Question Boa breeding suggestions

I everyone I have a 2010 female anery het albino and a 2011 male ghost het albino I have been trying to breed I began I. September dropping temps to 75 degrees and maintaining. A heat spot of 88 degrees day and night and removing the male on the weekend to feed both. So far though they both just seem to stay coiled together on the hot side of the cage just wondering if I'm on the right track or if I should be doing something else or adding something to the mix any help would be great
Thanks
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
My first thought - Are you 100% sure on the sexes of both boas? It happens! I had a male on loan, tried pairing with my girl, they just hung out together. Turned out the male was also a female lol.

Looks like they are currently in shed and from my experience, they usually will not court while in shed.

When did you pair them up? I don't drop temps but the years when I do breed, I pair them up in Oct/Nov and they would be finished by now.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:03 PM   #3
Zackky11
Yes they are a male and female pair the pic is a little old it's from October so since then they have shed also I have had them paired during the week and separated on the weekend since the beginning of October.
Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it

Old 01-22-2015, 11:04 PM   #4
Zackky11
Also if you could explain your process of breeding boas that would be great so far I have gotten a lot of different ideas from the forums and online articles but if you can tell me what has worked for you that would be appreciated

Old 01-22-2015, 11:08 PM   #5
Zackky11
And does it sound like the I'm headed in the right direction I'm going so far I haven't done this before but would be super excited to be successful. Or if I am doing something or did something wrong that would help to know as well

Old 01-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
What you are doing sounds fine. Different things work and people have been successful using various methods (some cool temps, some don't, that type of thing).

It could also simply be that one or both of them is not ready or not in the mood. I've seen things mentioned before to try to jump-start courting like - heavy misting or placing another male's shed in the cage, but haven't tried those myself.

My personal feeling is that if they haven't started courting by now you may want to just try again next season. Really it comes down to your opinion, your feelings and your knowledge of the snakes.

My 'procedure' for breeding is mostly based on information I read in the Boa Constrictor manual and Boaphile's 1996 Reptiles Magazine article. Here's a link to the article, I highly recommend it
http://www.theboaphile.com/article.html

Of course, even though we do everything correctly to set it up for success doesn't mean the animals will perform, it's really up to them after-all.

I personally do not cool temps. Once the female is gravid, I will provide a heat pad to give her an 'extra' warm spot she can choose to use. I feed my adult boas every 4-6 weeks. I will give them a few extra feedings before introduction because I don't normally feed them once introduced.

The male goes into female's cage and usually courting will be seen in the first 48 hours if they are ready to go. If it's been a week and I haven't seen any courting, I'll take the male out for 1-2 weeks, then try introducing again. If this happens about 3 times with nothing (male sometimes stays as far away from the female as he can) then I give up on that pairing.

If all goes well then courting starts on and off (photos below). Once all courting behavior has ceased, hopefully I've seen either the pre-ov swell and/or ovulation swelling by that time, the female goes into her post-ov shed and I remove the male.

He goes back to his home and gets a nice meal for his trouble. Once female has had her shed, she also goes back on normal feeding schedule and the countdown begins. I stop feeding her 30 days before she is due. From time of introduction and courting to that last shed can be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.

Here are some courting photos to give you an idea of what I look for, the male should be next to or looped over the female, line up his tail near hers and you may see him spurring or tail twitching. Male will take breaks, either staying on or near the female in my experience.

I hope some of this information is helpful, good luck!

Old 01-23-2015, 10:53 PM   #7
Zackky11
Thank you very much April I really appreciate your time

Old 01-23-2015, 11:01 PM   #8
Zackky11
If you don't cool temps what do you keep the hot spot at as well as he ambien temps and do you normally introduce them around October

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!