proper feeding schedule? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
geckogrl6
proper feeding schedule?

In light of the recent over feeding discussion, and since its been awhile since I checked in,
I have an almost 4 ft BRB, and he is eating 1-2 small rats every 7-10 days
is that about right?

Old 05-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
as long as he has healthy muscle tone and is not pudgy, should be fine (snakes tend to get pudgy in the tail area first, folds or rolls; they will feel 'squishy or soft' instead of lean and strong). When I had my adult BRB, he ate 1 small or medium rat every 2-3 weeks.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
geckogrl6
OK cool. I keep looking at his chin, which looks kinda pudgy, but I think is just the extra stretchy skin there. Body condition is good, but sometimes I see his spine on top when he's wrapped around my arm or something.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
crotalusadamanteus
Aren't BRB's a more active hunter then Constrictor ssp? Never looked into their natural or wild tendencies.

I go by the activity level of the snake. Less active ones like Boa Constrictor, and a lot of larger python do a lot of laying around, so they wouldn't get fed as often as I would a Kingsnake, or more active species.

But with any species, you need to judge the effects of your feeding habits, and adjust from there. Like April said, watch for pudginess.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
Uroboros
Just to mention as well, a single appropriate sized rat would be preferable to two smaller.

I don't know if it has been documented, but it is believed that two 14 gram rats are not equal to 1 28 gram rat and will shorten the life span of the snake.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
geckogrl6
Thanks, I had never thought too much about the 1 item vs. 2
I do usually stick to 1 item per meal, but he is in between the small rats and the medium ones, so I was offering 2 smalls for the next few sheds before I switch to the mediums.
I'm not sure how high activity the BRBs are. He's been spotted sitting in the same spot for days sometimes. Been known to sit in his hot tub for days too. Probably somewhat more active than the really big guys, tho. He digests a meal in about 3-4 days, and will start to be activer at that point, but I rarely see him moving around much. Mostly just switches from hide to hide, though sometimes he can be very active when he's being handled. Sometimes just curls up under my blanket lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!