Sanibel Island, Florida - June, 2015 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:30 AM   #1
WebSlave
Sanibel Island, Florida - June, 2015

Connie and I finally did something that was what I think retired people do. We took a month long "vacation" on Sanibel Island. It's something we have been talking about for years to do, so it seemed like it was about time that we just went ahead and did it.

I set up my Panasonic TM350 and the GoPro Hero4 Black the first evening we were on Sanibel Island and took side by side time lapse video during the sun set. This gave me a good opportunity to compare the quality of both of these cameras. Quite honestly, I'm considering getting rid of the Panasonics I have, and the GoPro is pretty impressive.

The Panasonic was doing time lapse at 1 frame every 1 second, and I believe I had the GoPro set for 1 frame every 5 seconds. After seeing the lightning flashes in the GoPro footage, I wish now I had also done that one at the 1 frame per second setting as well.

This is going to be the first of MANY videos I took, since the beach house we stayed in had a "widow's walk" on the roof that I would set up my camcorders on just about every day we were there.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:44 AM   #2
Occidentalis
Awesome! Some of the best South Florida herping is east of there near Immokalee.

Have a great time!

Old 07-21-2015, 01:17 AM   #3
WebSlave
On the night of June 20th, a spectacular lightning storm took place over the Gulf of Mexico while Connie and I were on Sanibel Island, so I set up the GoPro and crossed my fingers that I had it set up well enough to capture lightning flashes. Honestly, when I just scanned the resulting footage the following day, all I saw was nothing but darkness, so I thought I blew it. But when I got home and looked again, I was surprised to see that it all didn't turn out too badly. Actually turned out better than I had hoped it would, all things considered.

I cut and pasted the flashes out of all the dark footage to make this video. Originally there were 5 clips I took, each between 10 and 15 minutes long. So this got all condensed down to about 7 minutes of actual useable video.

Please note that this is an extremely contrasty video with black background and very bright flashes of lightning. So if that sort of thing bothers your eyes, you may not want to watch this.

Oh, there seems to be a very annoying buzz watching the YouTube version of this video that is not there in the original. So I'm guessing it is some sort of artifact introduced by the YouTube processing. Sorry about that. I wanted to capture audio along with the video as the thunder was a nearly constant rumble and roar the entire time.

Thinking back on it, maybe I should have tried a video in slow motion during the actual lightning flashes. Maybe I'll putter around trying that when I get a chance. FYI, YouTube does have a couple of settings to slow the video down during display that you may want to try out if the flashing is taking place too quickly for your eyes to adjust to.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:01 AM   #4
WebSlave
First off, I had better tell you that I just LOVE taking time lapse videos of cloud formations and storms. And what better place to do that than from the roof of a beach house on Sanibel Island overlooking the Gulf of Mexico!

I finally got done processing all of the video I took that month and have the videos uploaded to YouTube. Most of the videos were just merged into one video on Youtube, but sometimes I would separate them out in a PART 1 and PART 3.

To make these easier to watch, if you are so inclined, I'm just going to post one or a couple per post rather than trying to cram them all into a single post.

So here goes....

06-02-2015
This is a VERY short time lapse because what I thought was going to be a nice rain storm over the Gulf of Mexico turned into a rain storm over Sanibel. So I had to pull the camcorder in before the actual downpour hit.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:02 AM   #5
WebSlave
06-03-2015

Old 11-03-2015, 01:03 AM   #6
WebSlave
06-04-2015

Old 11-03-2015, 01:05 AM   #7
WebSlave
06-05-2015

Old 11-03-2015, 01:07 AM   #8
WebSlave
06-06-2015

Old 11-03-2015, 01:09 AM   #9
WebSlave
06-07-2015

Old 11-03-2015, 01:10 AM   #10
WebSlave
06-08-2015

Check out the rainbow at 2:25 in the video.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!