feeding baby beardies - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-29-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
kathizzy
Arrow feeding baby beardies

I have two 1 week old baby beardies. I don't really like live crickets,is there anything else i can feed them,I've been told maggots but they don't seem to want to eat them,is this because there still very young? Ive been told meal worms and wax worms,then i read there to fatty and should be used as treats. I no you can buy canned crickets but are these a good idea? Ive seen a vivicator (vibrating bowls)can any1 tell me if these are any good,or what else i can feed the baby's with. There eating a small amount of greens. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated Many thanks :eatpointe

Old 07-29-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
DAND
I'd suggest sticking with crickets until they get bigger. The maggots are very high in fat and mealworms are as well but the outer covering of them take time to digest and are not suggested for smaller beardies.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
Robinsons
I'm fairly new to the whole beardie scene but I acquired a small beardie and I was having trouble finding crickets that were her size so I ordered phoenix worms and she is doing GREAT! I can't say that I'l feed her those forever but they are small enough and are soft skinned so there would be no problems. My little girl eats less than the recommended amount I guess but she is growing and pooping just fine so I figure all is well. Just my 2 cents.
Lorretta Robinson
Mom at the Robinson Zoo
2 Corn snakes * Mozart & Oak*
2 leopard Geckos * Blinky & Linky*
1 Yellow Belly Turtle * Harry*
1 Red eared Slider * Gunslinger*
1 Bearded Dragon * Stella*
1 Black Lab * Gwen*
1 Golden Retriever * Titan*
1 Black cat * Jade*
4 Humans * Derek, Lorretta, Michael & David*

Old 07-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #4
Brenda777
Insects should be offered to babies two or three times a day, and to juveniles and adults daily. As your beardie gets older he or she should be eating less and less insects and more vegetables. Veggies should make up about 10-25% of hatchlings diet and about 50% or more of adults diets. I you go to sunshinedragons.com they have a care sheet you can click on and then scroll down to insects. I was told crickets are one of the best things to feed them when they are small. I get mine from premiumcrickets.com. They have a good deal on large quantities of crickets that they will eat a lot of when they are young. And I dust them with calcium supplement before feeding them.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
clarinet45
how did you get 2, 1 week old beardies? If you are breeding, you should know this stuff already and if you bought them that young i'd like to know from who!

Old 07-29-2006, 10:48 PM   #6
Rebel Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathizzy
I have two 1 week old baby beardies. I don't really like live crickets,is there anything else i can feed them,I've been told maggots but they don't seem to want to eat them,is this because there still very young? Ive been told meal worms and wax worms,then i read there to fatty and should be used as treats. I no you can buy canned crickets but are these a good idea? Ive seen a vivicator (vibrating bowls)can any1 tell me if these are any good,or what else i can feed the baby's with. There eating a small amount of greens. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated Many thanks :eatpointe
Congrats on your new additions!!! I would really suggest finding pinhead crickets. It's the best and easiest way of feeding such young dragons. Maggots, mealworms and wax worms are a big no no with dragons so young. All of those choices are too high and fat and are very hard to digest for babies. You'll also be hard pressed to get babies to eat canned crix. They react and chase their prey. Canned crix will just go to waste cause they will never notice them since they don't move. I'm sure a local pet shop in your area carries pinhead crix. Usually about .10 a piece and this size. ___ Even if they don't carry them, they might be able to direct you to someone who does or maybe even order some for you.

The vibrating bowl is a complete waste of money. Get a spray bottle from the dollar store and mist the babies and the sides of the enclosure on a daily basis. Also, you may want to soak them in a warm bath from time to time. Just make sure to not walk away as one can crawl on the other and drown it while your not looking.

Good luck

Old 07-30-2006, 05:33 AM   #7
kathizzy
Thanks everyone for the advice,i think ill have to stick to crickets,at least untill there older.I will try pheonix worms,thats if i can get them in england. I appreciate all the help from everyone. Thanks guys

Old 07-30-2006, 06:11 AM   #8
kathizzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathizzy
also when is it ok to give them the dried beardie food?

Old 07-30-2006, 06:14 AM   #9
kathizzy
what age can you feed beardies the dried foods? There only 1 week old.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:45 AM   #10
Brenda777
Just to let you know you can get pinhead crickets at premiumcrickets.com. You can get 1000 crickets for $14.50 plus shipping which if you add .10 a crickets it adds up and they eat a lot of crickets when they are young.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!