Amels or not? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-18-2004, 09:50 AM   #1
TexasAggie04
Amels or not?

Hi, I am new to this forum. I just got two new Corn Snakes, born in late 2003. They were sold to me as Amelanistics, but I am not positive. What do you think? Also, if bred, what would I be likely to get (they are a male and female)? I don't know if they are from the same clutch, would it matter if they are? Thanks!

Here is the Male first:

And the Female:

Old 06-18-2004, 11:19 AM   #2
cka
No...

they look like amelanistic motleys from where i am sitting ...Beautiful looking corns you got there...breeding clutch mates usually isn't a problem, it depends on what generation you are breeding...Say you have 2 amel motley corns that you wnat to breed...their hatchlings would be considered F1s (first filial generation)...if you breed those F1s together their clutch would be considered F2s, and if you breed F2s their clutch would be F3s, etc...it is when you keep breeding the descedents over and over that problems arise...If you plan to breed them ask the breeder you got from how closely related they are...good luck and peace...

Old 06-18-2004, 11:21 AM   #3
PythonWallace
Very nice snakes

They look like motley sunglows, I think. They are probably from the same clutch. If that upsets you I'll trade you some amelanistic corns for them : ) Where did you get them?

Old 06-18-2004, 11:46 AM   #4
Sasheena
Just so it is clear, if the eyes are red/pink that means they are expressing the Amelanistic (albino) gene. Those are beautiful snakes too.

Old 06-18-2004, 03:03 PM   #5
TexasAggie04
I got them from exoticreptiles.com. They got them from another breeder somewhere, so I don't know if they know much about their generation. I will ask and see if they have any more info.

Also, is Amelanistic the exact same as albino? I assume Amel means "lack of melanin". If so, what makes these different from typical albinos? I am trying to learn how this whole genetic thing works.....

One more thing, I know you aren't supposed to breed them until they are a certain age, or at least it is recommended. I intend to keep them in the same enclosure for quite a while, so what is to keep them from possibly mating when they are "able"? Any recommendations on this?

Last issue. The tank I inherited which I am putting them in is 2x2x1.5ft, with the 1.5 being the depth. Should I get a ceramic heat emitter or an undertank, or both? The concern is the 2ft distance between the top of the tank and the bottom, it might be too much for the CHE to work well. At the same time, I am just using paper towels for substrate, so an under-tank heater might make the floor too hot for them. I need to make a purchase pretty quick here, so recommendations would be much appreciated.

Old 06-18-2004, 03:36 PM   #6
cka
a lot of (differing) opinions on keeping them together...i'm not for it, but there are plenty of folks that say no problems (and have no problems)...UTH's need to be controlled thru a rheostat or thermostat...if you attach it directly to the bottom...you dont have to...and you can raise/lower your tank over it to get the right temp...make sure it rests on something heat absorbant...ceramic heater will work also...it creates a zone on the floor of the tank where the snake can warm up...and its easy to move closer/farther if you want to simulate a nite time drop (not necessary but kinda cool...)

Albino is a misleading term in regards to amelanistic snakes...your corns are technically amelanistic, not albino (no pigment)...

They could definately breed while living together, and it could be that it happens when the female is too young...there are more experienced folks that you can PM or email to give their honest opinion on breeding size/weights...

Good luck, and they really are beautiful amel motleys imho, and could definately turn into sunglows as they mature...makes it fun to watch 'em grow...

Old 06-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #7
Darin Chappell
Actually, the term "albino" does not denote an animal with no pigment, but rather an animal that is missing a pigment. So, amelanism is an albino morph, because the melanin producing genes are missing, and the animal is therefore missing the pigment for black. However, the same can be said for the anerythristic, since it is missing the red gene. That is why many folks used to call anerys "black albinos" (though few still do).

So, all amels are albinos, but not all albinos are amels. If that isn't too convoluded a statement...

As to keeping your young corns from breeding before they are physically ready, you have to treat them like human teenagers, I'm afraid. Keep 'em separate, and you don't have to worry about it! Otherwise, you're just hoping something doesn't happen, but it likely will.

Hope that helps a bit ...

Old 06-18-2004, 04:19 PM   #8
cka
thanks for clearing up the amel/albino issue Darin, still cant keep it straight :*(...and you can still find anery corns being sold as "Black Albino's" on a few website's...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!