Someone sell me on rosy boas - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #11
cornchips
Ive been looking at rosy boas for awhile now as well. I love my sand boas, I assume they are similiar in personality? The prices of some of the localities is a bit off putting though.
I kick myself for not getting one I saw on CR for 50 bucks, it would have been a good starting point.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:50 PM   #12
elena
As someone who keeps both sand boas and rosy boas, I'd say that they are in some ways similar but the rosy boas tend to be more active and visible in the enclosure. As far as expense goes, some localities can be had for as little as $50-$65. Few non-morph animals cost more than $150 as hatchlings. The morphs are pretty cool though. I'm raising an albino Harquahala litter right now.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #13
RodentBreath
I've had rosy boas for about 20 years, Kenyan sand boas for about 15.

Apart from their habitat (I actually have caged mine together for over a decade), there isn't much similar in their temperaments. Kenyans are very shy, sometimes skittish, and generally don't feel comfortable out in the open. Rosy boas are very mellow, almost impossible to spook. I've had them hang out on the couch for over an hour, making no real effort to hide or escape. Both are infrequent biters, with most incidents being feeding related. But rosy boas are definitely more known for "latching on" so its critical that they be regularly handled to get them used to not associating your scent with feeding time.

As for pets, I can't particularly recommend Kenyans, they're gorgeous but not really "handling" snakes. Rosies IMO are top of the list for casual snake owners - very docile, very easy to care for, very hardy, fairly low priced.

If you get one, don't be in a rush. Get your cage and equipment set up, and don't skimp (its mostly a one time expense, buy right the first time). Then wait for a local reptile show in your area, or search around for a local breeder. NOTHING beats examining the animal in person, getting its background, and talking with a breeder in person.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #14
cornchips
Thanks, local breeders and reptile shows are just about non existence here, we are pretty rural. The one yearly reptile show thats within driving distance Ive been to a couple times and its really a let down, mostly ball pythons and crested geckos. Ive got time to decide but wish I could see one in person.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:01 PM   #15
Flatfish1
If you need convincing, rosies might not be for you. Rosey boas are the most naturally sweet tempered snakes that I can think of. I love how they look. I also love how they feel. I recently caught a young specimen locally. Just picked it up and fell in love. I have a limited amount of space available for my pet snakes. So I had to make a decision. But first, I wanted to make sure she would transition to captivity and eat for me. She did! after only a couple days, I offered her a frozen/thawed pinky and she took it! When she sees me, she often comes to the front glass. When I open the front glass, she comes out onto my hand on her own, and seems to enjoy being handled. If I didn't see all this for myself, I probably wouldn't believe it. So I made the decision to sell my Dominican Red Mountain Boa in favor of my new rosey boa! That's my rosie boa story.

Old 07-08-2020, 05:58 PM   #16
bradde
I find it interesting that people have been bitten by Rosy Boas. I have picked up over a dozen of them in the wild for photos while rock flipping and night cruising over the years and have never had one try to strike. Same goes for captive bred specimens that I have maintained as pets. Perhaps the people who have been bitten have the scent of a furry pet on their hands. I did see one of my Rosy Boas strike at the dog once.

Rosy Boas are slow moving and maybe a little boring, but I like their modest size and mellow demeanor. They seem to enjoy handling and because of their seemingly slow metabolism they eat about 1/3rd less than most Colubrid species I have owned.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:59 PM   #17
Flatfish1
As for rosy boas biting, I think it is usually more of a latch on and try to swallow, more than an actual "Striking" bite. The first meal (and many subsequent meals) offered to most captive bred rosy boas are thawed pinky mice. take a look at your pinky finger. I think it can easily be mistaken for a pinky mouse by a young rosy. Your skin is warm and feels like a hairless mouse! In the wild, I assume that young rosy boas are not offered perfectly sized pinky mice. I think this nipiness can be attributed mostly to younger rosy boas. They usually grow out of it. (Not always.) it has also been my experience that wild specimens almost never bite when handled. And I agree that it is always a good idea to wash any mouse smell off your hands before handling ANY snake. Just like you should wash the snake smell off your hands after handling your rosy boa and before handling your king snake! How lucky are we here in Southern California to have two of the best pet snakes living locally in the wild - Rosy Boas and California Kingsnakes.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #18
elena
4 out of my 10 rosy boas are very bitey. It's not a defensive thing, it's a feeding thing. These 4 will attempt to bite nearly 100% of the time.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:03 PM   #19
elena
I'll add that two of these four are adults, so they do not necessarily grow out of it.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #20
Socratic Monologue
Rosy boas are not the smartest snakes I've kept, but they are among the most food-directed; in combination, dumb and hungry equals bitey.

No, they don't grow out of it -- I've noticed that if anything it gets worse, especially in breeding age females. I have thirteen rosies currently, and seven will bite every time (all my orcutti but one), and a couple of the others will if I don't pay attention.

I never handle rodents before handling any snakes that may bite. It is a simple order-of-operations routine to do snake care first, rodent care last.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!