Breeding size of adult female boas - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #31
Metachrosis
Not exactly agreeing

I do not feed my baby boa just because they drop their first skin
I do not offer their first prey until 3 weeks after they shed
They are maintained at 2 week feedings until 6 months,they then go out to 3 weeks.
After 1 year they then get on the 3 for 3 then 4 then 3 for 3 weeks feedings.
Even at this rate they wouldnt come close to such a success rate in the wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpHobbiest View Post
That is something we can both agree with!!!

Also, the fact that in captivity they generally do not get a chance to free-range and exercise...

Once a Boa is mature, feeding should be reduced from growing, to maintenance...

Luis

Old 04-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #32
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
Me too. I have had some large females, over 40lbs and pushing 10ft, but never bigger, and they were old females, 15 years +. I believe the age of the large boas is slowly coming to an end with selective breeding, cross breeding and everyone wanting smaller boas so they can house more.
You weren't around in the early days of Boas, were you? LOL I haven't seen any monsters for years, but many an old school Colombian EXCEEDED 11 ft. My mom had one that was 13 ft and 65+ lbs.

Was it me Jeremy, I wouldn't increase her intake. If she ain't growing any faster with that generous diet you mentioned above, then she ain't going to. Pretty foolish to try and make it happen.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #33
HerpHobbiest
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
Here is a conservative fed 07 DH/SG

She has been fed every 3 weeks since 6 months of age
Every 4th feeding is stretched to 4 weeks followed by 3 consecutive 3 week feedings.

Starved isnt she . . . . .

She is 4 years old and 4 lbs... Probably 4ft long?

So if you wait to breed her at 12 lbs you need what... 8 more years?

She may not be starved... But she is not going to breed at 3-1/2 years and 16 lbs either...

When do you expect her to be ready to give you some 30 babies litter?

Hey maybe you got it Right... Kudos to you man!!!

Luis

Old 04-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #34
hhmoore
Not everybody has the goal of rapid production and high numbers...there's something to be said for longevity, you know.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #35
Metachrosis
Yeah breeding is probably out of the question by most folks thinking

But! "Thinking as most do" has this hobby in the shape it is in now

Here is her current 112+ day(POS) pics are mere minutes old

Old 04-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #36
Matt2979
Jeremy, I'm glad that you brought this up because I've been wondering about one of mine. She's barely 4 feet (maybe a few inches over, but I never measured her "exact length"). If size were the only factor, I would never even contemplate breeding...but she's 8 years old!

Now I know that some of her smaller size is due to being a CA, but she was owned by a paraplegic friend that I later found out was unable to take care of her (better care was taken earlier in her life, but he started having problems with nurses taking care of him and pets were at the bottom of the "priority list", hence my rescuing her). I can't help but think that she wasn't fed enough as a baby, and maybe that stunted her growth??

Has anyone had any experience with CA boa that small?

Old 04-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #37
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
You weren't around in the early days of Boas, were you? LOL I haven't seen any monsters for years, but many an old school Colombian EXCEEDED 11 ft. My mom had one that was 13 ft and 65+ lbs.

Was it me Jeremy, I wouldn't increase her intake. If she ain't growing any faster with that generous diet you mentioned above, then she ain't going to. Pretty foolish to try and make it happen.
I know boas used to get bigger, and you still can see one occasionally but not like they used to be back in the day. And concerning my female, I wasn't necessarily going to try and "bulk" her up for this fall, just keep her feeding consistent. In fact, I may decide to lengthen her feeding a little more if she is going to take f/t XL rats. I was considering a 14-21 day period. My albino male is who really needs bulked up, he is skinny, I am getting some of that Pro-biotic you mentioned in another thread to help condition his insides.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #38
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Not everybody has the goal of rapid production and high numbers...there's something to be said for longevity, you know.
I agree. I would like my boas to live 15+ years if possible.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #39
jmwboas
I wouldn't try and bulk her up either. I would keep her on a nice steady diet of 1 xlg rat every 2 weeks. Boas don't need to eat like alot think. They don't benefit from all that food intake if they can't digest all of it(hence larger bowelmovements). And that extra food intake is harder on the digestive system. Besides, I feel and believe that a lean boa is a healthy boa, they will generally give you a better litter and live longer. As well as bouncing back from giving birth quicker than a fat blob. If I can breed a 5 or 6ft female boa and get a nice litter of 15 babies give or take with no slugs, I couldn't be happier. That meas that you had a 100% conception rate. I hope this made sense, I need a refill on the coffee.

Jeremy, I give ya props for posting this thread. I believe it is something that does need talked about and input from everyone. This is the only way that the hobby gets better.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #40
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwboas View Post
I wouldn't try and bulk her up either. I would keep her on a nice steady diet of 1 xlg rat every 2 weeks. Boas don't need to eat like alot think. They don't benefit from all that food intake if they can't digest all of it(hence larger bowelmovements). And that extra food intake is harder on the digestive system. Besides, I feel and believe that a lean boa is a healthy boa, they will generally give you a better litter and live longer. As well as bouncing back from giving birth quicker than a fat blob. If I can breed a 5 or 6ft female boa and get a nice litter of 15 babies give or take with no slugs, I couldn't be happier. That meas that you had a 100% conception rate. I hope this made sense, I need a refill on the coffee.

Jeremy, I give ya props for posting this thread. I believe it is something that does need talked about and input from everyone. This is the only way that the hobby gets better.
Thanks Jeffrey. People who over feed there boas to get them larger quicker, not only putting the female at risk health wise, they are shortening her life, shortening her breeding career and waisting money. You feed them to much and like you said it just passes right through. Most people don't know that boas do a majority of there growing when there not eating.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!