Cornsnake started to lay eggs the stopped......... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-21-2005, 08:35 PM   #1
Kirks Herps
Cornsnake started to lay eggs the stopped.........

my female sunglow motley corn started laying eggs on 6/19 2 eggs 1 outside the lay box and 1 inside, 6/20 she layed 3 more now she has stopped and i feel at least 5 to 7 more eggs in her. this will be her second breeding season. she is in good health. ive been breeding colubrids for almost 7 years never had this happen before.what can i do for her and when will it be too late..... Thanks Kirk

Old 06-21-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
DAND
Leave her alone. Handling causes stress. More stress is not something she needs.

Are the eggs near the vent or are they still mid body? Were the first eggs fertile?

If she goes too long without passing them, you will either have to help her (if you are capable of doing so) or take her to a qualified vet.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:25 PM   #3
Kirks Herps
eggs

the eggs are still mid body and it looks like 4 of the 5 are fertile. i only picked her up today to check if she still had eggs in her. ive never had to help with egg laying what would be involved in doing so? what is too long to wait for the eggs?

Old 06-21-2005, 09:30 PM   #4
DAND
It's like squeezing tooth past out of the tube but with a living tube that could be hurt. If you've never done it then I'd suggest taking it to a vet to see how it is done. Being they are mid body would be another reason for the vet trip. If the eggs haven't shown any sign of movement over the next couple days then I'd get her to the vet.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:31 PM   #5
Kirks Herps
eggs

ok thanks for the advice, kirk

Old 06-21-2005, 10:31 PM   #6
gila7150
Like David mentioned already, sometimes eggs can be gently "massaged" toward the vent but if these eggs are that far from the vent this could be very difficult. If you haven't seen any movement by morning I would make a vet appointment. If the vet is unable to manually manipulate the eggs, there are still other options such as egg aspiration, medications such as Oxytocin to stimulate contractions, and surgery as a last resort.

I hope she passes them on her own but don't wait too long if she doesn't.
Good luck,
Chris

Old 06-23-2005, 11:06 AM   #7
Kirks Herps
update

she has passed 1 egg today 6/23 it is the largest egg so far but i wouldnt say its overly huge. hopefully they all passs.....kirk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!