Best morph to breed with pied... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
phoenix-cry
Best morph to breed with pied...

So I just got a male piebald (well he's in transit right now). He's just a baby, but I want to breed him when he's older. So here's the big question: what is the best female to get?

I noticed that albino pieds go for an insane price...this makes me think that there is something about trying to breed albino to pied that is really difficult.

I really like the Axanthic pieds. Not that I've seen any for sale, I've just seen pics.

I've bred snakes before, but never a morph. I have several years to do my research, but I will most likely get a female come this summer so I need to have an idea of what to get for a mate for my pie boy.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Links to advice?

Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
The Python Lab
There's nothing complicated about breeding albino x pied, but producing an albino pied can be a lengthy process. Honestly I can't think of any morph that wouldn't be interesting to breed to a pied. One I havn't seen yet ( not saying it hasn't been done, just saying I have not seen it ) is a genetic stripe pied. But really no matter what you choose you can't go wrong. Good luck.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
AdamR
Has anyone produced an Albino Spider Pied? I think that would be pretty sweet, but that's just me! Personally, albino spiders and pieds are my favs so if a mixture exists I will be forced to sell my kidney!

Old 01-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
hhmoore
What should I breed it to questions basically all have the same answer - what do you like?
We can tell you any number of things to breed your pied to...but those are, in most cases, things that would us happy. YOU should make your purchases according to what makes YOU happy. Keep in mind that breeding your pied male to anything that is not at least heterozygous for pied will not produce any pied babies; so if you want pieds in your first litter...make sure that whatever else the female is, she is also het pied.

For me, the answer was pretty simple - I was never much of a fan of piebald ball pythons until I saw Steve Markevich's mojave pied (white gold). That combination is the only reason I have pieds in my collection.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
Matt2979
I think this is going to be the first time that I've ever stated this, but I disagree with Harald. LOL...If it were ANY other animal than pied, I would wholeheartedly agree, BUT with pieds, I've seen some crosses that you just can't tell what they are, except for the spot on their head. Lesser pieds seem to do this and several combos involving multiple co-dom/dom traits (i.e. pewter pied).

I've been going over the same question in my snake room, as I recently acquired a pied and have been scratching my head, trying to decide what I'd like to create. Not saying that I'll never make a non-recessive combo (I do love those mojo pieds, and I have lots of mojos in my snake room ) but I've pretty much decided on mixing it with other recessives. I don't know how big that penny will by the time you create double-hets and then try to hit the double morph, but the albino-pied will still look just as amazing as it does now!!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
deborahbroadus
I think I would like to see what a Fire, Vanilla, or Specter does to the Pied morph before adding anything else to the mix.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
Focal
Desert Pied gets my vote! But I would love an albino pied.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
deborahbroadus
Ignore Harald. Pieds are awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
What should I breed it to questions basically all have the same answer - what do you like?
We can tell you any number of things to breed your pied to...but those are, in most cases, things that would us happy. YOU should make your purchases according to what makes YOU happy. Keep in mind that breeding your pied male to anything that is not at least heterozygous for pied will not produce any pied babies; so if you want pieds in your first litter...make sure that whatever else the female is, she is also het pied.

For me, the answer was pretty simple - I was never much of a fan of piebald ball pythons until I saw Steve Markevich's mojave pied (white gold). That combination is the only reason I have pieds in my collection.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
Ignore Harald. Pieds are awesome!
WHATTTT?? I figured you'd slap me for disagreeing with him!!!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #10
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
WHATTTT?? I figured you'd slap me for disagreeing with him!!!
He told me my Pieds were ugly!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeding, morph, piebald, pied