Man feeds kitten to burmese python in UK - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
Slashmaster
Man feeds kitten to burmese python in UK

Text:

Quote:
A hunt has been launched for a sadistic pet owner who filmed himself feeding a kitten to a python.

The vile video, entitled Python Christmas, shows a man in his 20s carrying the kitten called Jasmine into a bedroom in a Santa hat and then placed on a bed.
Lurking half-hidden under a pillow lay a yellow Burmese python, which can grow up to 19ft long and is one of the largest snakes in the world.
Scroll down for video - graphic footage

Killer: A yellow Burmese python which can grow as long as 19ft and squeezes its prey to death

Evil: The callous thug carries the kitten in a Santa hat to the bed where he appears to play with it

The bait: The kitten is distracted and moments later the python pounces and wraps its coils around its prey

Jasmine is seen slowly walking across the bed until the thug distracts her and she fatally turns her back on the danger.

The snake pounces, wrapping the kitten in its coils as it squeezes the life out of the playful animal.

Once the kitten's tail stops moving the snake swallows her whole — head first. Its cries of agony are drowned out by the Christmas song Little Drummer Boy playing in the background of the video.

At the end of the seven-minute footage there is a chillingly threat of more 'feeding videos'. It was posted on a site called Flix from an account registered in Islington, north London.

Horror: Last moments for the kitten as the snake squeezes the animal then swallows it head first

The video shows the kitten disappearing in the python's mouth

If caught, the sicko faces six months' jail and a £20,000 fine for causing unnecessary suffering under the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

Among the few clues to his identity are that he is a fan of the Disney film Aladdin. Images and songs from the movie have been posted on his YouTube site.

An RSPCA spokeswoman said: 'There is no excuse for feeding a live cat to a python.'

Vet Pete Wedderburn told the Sun: 'The kitten is probably no older than four months. It has no hiding place and can't get away. These are the actions of a sadistic human being.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1fhgEcf1R
source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...en-python.html
WARNING: There are pictures from the video on the news article.

I was recently informed about this...

This makes me shake with anger and disbelief. I almost don't know how to react except to be horrified and sad for the kitten, disgusted by the person who did this, and terrified for what it means for python keepers. A bundle of negative emotions...

Of course in the comments, everyone is yelling for pythons to be banned...

I thought it was just a myth that this thing happens, and the "cat eater" name was the public reacting with a fear of large snakes on unfounded accusations...

I feel so disappointed with humanity...

Old 12-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Mike Schultz
I feed cute little rats and bunnies and guinea pigs to my burmese pythons and retics all the time... The only reason people are outraged is because of the stigma associated with more commonly owned "pet" animals. I don't feed cats or dogs to my snakes but I don't see how it is any different than feeding chickens, rodents, or insects to reptiles.

It just sucks that the news picks up on stuff like this and villainizes the reptile community.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Slashmaster
I feel it's very different. Those prey items are typically raised for that purpose and what the snake would legitimately eat in nature (or is close - rodents and birds in general). There is no legitimate reason to feed a cat or dog to a reptile. Animals have to eat but a kitten is not an appropriate prey item.

Perhaps I'm wrong but that's my gut reaction. It also serves to only damage the reptile community... but at least the news article is putting the blame on the person who did it, and not the snake.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
reptilebaby
I agree with you, Julie! I think it's wrong to feed a cat to a snake. I think that anyone who DOES do that should get in deep trouble.

mice, rats, and the others are different because that's what they naturally eat. Even though I will never feed anything but mice and rats to snakes, doesn't mean I don't understand rabbits being fed to them, but hamsters and guinea pigs have always baffled me.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
FosterHerpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilebaby View Post
because that's what they naturally eat. .
Im pretty sure if a small feline walked past a python over in Asia he would eat it in a heartbeat. Thats natural.

Its just blown up because its a kitten. That actually might save money, there are so many cats on the street.......

Old 12-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
Pinkypie
Nom,nom,nom!!! That would take care of the thousands of cats and kittens put down each year at the pound.Dont know what they do with them, throw them away or make more cat food out of them???? Any one know what they do with all those animals??

Personally rats are far smarter then bunnies or guinea pigs, dont know if this should be a criteria for feeders or not or is it just how cute they are. ...The guy was an idiot for making a video...Not saying it was right either, it is sick and thats why he put it on video, to shock people.Of course it makes all snake owners look bad.

Personally I hate mice so dont mind feeding them.I always feel bad feeding rats, even prekilled ones.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
FosterHerpetological
Breaking News from Charleston, WV:
Young man feeds cute bunny to demon python.
-I fed an adult rabbit to my large male reticulated python, who only eats live. The rabbit was cute, am I now going to face thousands of dollars of fines and jail time? I think not.

This feeding was no different from any other. Food is food.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
Slashmaster
Quote:
Of course it makes all snake owners look bad.
I anticipate there's going to be a petition circulating around the internet to ban large constrictors soon on account of this situation... just like the exotic animal hate that came from the release of all those tigers and bears.

Sigh...

Quote:
I fed an adult rabbit to my large male reticulated python, who only eats live. The rabbit was cute, am I now going to face thousands of dollars of fines and jail time? I think not.
My understanding that feeding live in the UK (regardless of animal) is illegal and comes with that fine. I don't think they discriminate on prey species. A news article about it probably would be the same.

Quote:
This feeding was no different from any other. Food is food.
I respect your opinion that it was the same. It just isn't for me. Cat bias here.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
Pinkypie
The repercussions from this will be felt.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
Method919
Here's an interesting video discussing the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=478corjfet4

I personally think there is no difference morally between feeding a rat and feeding a cat to a snake. Anyone who has worked with rats for even a short time knows that they are intelligent social creatures with emotions. It's interesting that people have granted dogs and cats so many rights, while we seem to have no problem at all with slaughtering other intelligent animals for food. It's pretty irrational.

Feeding live vs dead is a separate issue. I personally feel (for what should be obvious reasons morally) that live prey should never be offered unless necessary.

Anyways, I don't expect many people to agree with this stance for a long time, we've only recently started using science to shape our morals. This is bad, bad news for snake keepers.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!