Female first time mating??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #1
mialma09
Female first time mating???

Well now even though we weren't planning on breeding them for a couple more months this is what happened. So we have two females and one male and the one female is 38g no tail so I know add like 3-5g for tail loss but the other is only 32g with tail so not gonna breed her at least for a bit. We have two separate cages for the 2 females and the male but I cleaned out the girls cage and my wife decided to put them in with the males cage while I was finishing up and then all of a sudden he grabs the big girl and they start mating, I didn't even catch it till it was already going on nor my wife. But I really didn't wanna disrupt it and possibly have one get hurt or stressed out so we just let it happen. But since there is the story here are a couple of the questions I was hoping could be answered. (A) The male is like just shy 1 year but only weighs in at 23g and wanted to know if he would even be fertile at that small and if so would the hatchlings if she becomes gravid be good to go? (B) Since that happened now I took the females back out of the cage and put them back in the one I just cleaned because I don't think the male is technically ready right now and wanted to know if she becomes gravid and lays a few eggs with anything he was able to do will the two female crested geckos be ok still living in the same cage and with her if she lays eggs?

Old 03-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
mialma09
Oh also if anyone was wondering what they looked like or how big they are or just the one that mated their pics are like one or two threads down the one that says luckily two females. It was the bright red flame crested with the yellow patterning down its back that was jumped on.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
geckomania
Your male is ready to breed at about 9 months, but don't quote me. Males tend to mature and grow faster than females. Weight matters more with the females. The females weight should be about 45 grams (might be pushing it, but it's safer so the female can handle the process). The male's sperm will last 2-6 months within the female. The females together should be fine, but if you want to figure out who makes what I would separate the females as well if you decide to get another male. If you do get eggs, because they hide them pretty well, make sure you take them out and lay them in damp media somewhere warm.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
mialma09
So I have just separated the male from the two females the Dalmatian is still a virgin and hasn't mated yet so the red and yellow flame is the one who did she is 36 to 38 grams without her tail so i believe she will be fine. they are just one paper towels and I put a nice lay box so that would be the only place she would lay unless it where on the paper towels. When I get another male I will just keep one female and a male together and a the other ones together. So hopefully that will work out well.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
Spyral
It's recommended to give females a break from the males during the cooler months (Nov-Feb) in order to rest for the next breeding season. That means housing them separately for at least a few months out of the year.

Never put a female near or in the same enclosure as a male with a noticable bulge, he could mate with her even if you aren't expecting it. Cold weather, daytime, young male, underweight female - doesn't seem to deter them and just a few minutes is all it takes.

Housing crested geckos together in general can be tricky, so always be prepared to separate at any time. Younger, unsexed juveniles can nip tail tips or eat whole tails, as can adults.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!