The BOI will be coming to an end on 02-02-2020 - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:47 AM   #11
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I agree with that in part - could it be set up so that although only contributing members could post, it would still be visible to all to view (even if only via the BOI link on classified ads)?

If not, it seems a shame that newer members, who may be more vulnerable to the scammers, might not see the warnings.
They are not my responsibility. Actually they never were. But I have been doing this anyway, to try to help everyone out. Which has gotten me a lot of grief, disdain, lots of threats of lawsuits (and one actual lawsuit), threats of bodily injury and death, and been called more derogatory names during this stint that probably most people here in 10 lifetimes. But I was fine with that as long as I was feeling I had a substantial helping hand of support from a large number of troops. That, I am afraid, no longer exists.

Yeah, this change is kind of a catch-22. Yes, it's a tough sell to get more support from new members if can't see what the Board of Inquiry is offering them. Yet for most people, being able to simply read the BOI is all they really want, and if they can still do that, then there is no incentive to become paying members to provide more financial support anyway. I believe with that thread linked above from 2005 I actually did do it that way. With highly unsatisfactory results.

Besides, with 139,000 already registered members, I think that there is already a substantial number of people who know exactly what the Board of Inquiry is all about. So honestly, if they have decided that it is not worth supporting, what are the chances that new members would think differently? So no, I think that the focus really needs to be to let people who full well know what the BOI is all about have fair warning that it is on it's way down the tubes. THIS change is to give the paying members of this site something that their current support was likely intended to help retain. So the next year, up to 02-02-2020 will be gratis for them alone.

Push come to shove, if Facebook and whatever BOI similar forums, sites, and pages are offered elsewhere have become far more in favor with the majority of people in the herp community, and they have chosen to abandon participation and support here as a result, well, then the Board of Inquiry is really not necessary anyway, now is it? I don't really need to keep on sticking my neck out any longer, do I?

BTW, I had mentioned earlier some threads I posted 9 or so years ago when I faced a similar dilemma concerning dwindling support for the BOI..

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=139742

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=139468

If you read those, you will likely see me saying the same things I have been saying today. The Groundhog Day movie reference mentioned earlier. And yes, that was a close call back then. I really can't say that NOT pulling the plug back then was the smartest move for me to make. I guess this change will give me that answer.

I'm 10 years older now, retired, and things look differently to me. Really what to I really need the Board of Inquiry for at this stage of my life? Now, I need a real good reason to put up with the headaches, nonsense, bullcrap thrown at me, and potential liability. Otherwise I would seriously rather spend my time on less stressful things, to be perfectly honest.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:57 AM   #12
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
. Otherwise I would seriously rather spend my time on less stressful things, to be perfectly honest.
Totally with you on that Rich

Old 01-22-2019, 03:20 AM   #13
tcp2
The BOI has gotten me back $3,500 from two separate transactions that I would have never seen without the ability to publicly air the issues involved. I find the accusations posted to often be off base and borderline libelous. People then pile on who have no skin in the game. If there is away to limit the posts to factual points that are verifiable it would go a long way towards making the BOI more palatable to all. I know this is a nearly impossible request but the ability for unsubstantiated posts to take on a life of their own really tarnishes the BOI. One of my favorite sayings of all time: " rumors are how all true stories start".

Old 01-22-2019, 03:25 AM   #14
tcp2
That being said, I will increase my financial investment to Fauna to help keep a valuable service available. I will now have another glass of wine and see if it helps me dredge up any more important thoughts.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:49 AM   #15
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp2 View Post
The BOI has gotten me back $3,500 from two separate transactions that I would have never seen without the ability to publicly air the issues involved. I find the accusations posted to often be off base and borderline libelous. People then pile on who have no skin in the game. If there is away to limit the posts to factual points that are verifiable it would go a long way towards making the BOI more palatable to all. I know this is a nearly impossible request but the ability for unsubstantiated posts to take on a life of their own really tarnishes the BOI. One of my favorite sayings of all time: " rumors are how all true stories start".
Yes, that is pretty much an impossible task. There is no way to limit posts to factual points. And quite frankly, it may be entirely possible that the BOI would not have worked for you had other interested parties not put in their two cents to show that a lot of people were looking in and taking note of the circumstances.

I've had people strongly recommend that I limit BOI threads to simply a complaint, and then a single response from the person or business being complained about. Seriously? Just give everyone a single shot at making their point, and then the last person posting having the final word on the matter? All some bad guy would likely say is, "No, that is not true. You are lying." and that is the end of the conversation? No chance to offer further proof, and no chance for your peers to express opinions that could be influential to the outcome.

Yeah, I know in a perfect world both parties would just tell the truth this would be easy. But in this imperfect world, often people have to sift through the lies to try to figure out the truth, and many times that means pointed questions and sometimes even pushing one or both parties off balance enough to get them to slip up and actually blurt out the truth in anger.

Does it get raw sometimes? Sure. But I would bet anyone who gets ripped off an comes to the BOI about it is most certainly FEELING pretty raw about it.

As for members posting libel, yes that is a concern. But who is to say what is true and what is not? I'm certainly no private detective and surely not a judge. My attempting to act in such a manner by filtering posts made would be extremely dangerously stupid of me to do, because that certainly would pile a bunch of legal liability right down on my head as a result. There are just things a person cannot do in an environment like the BOI without getting into a lot of legal hot water. Believe it or not, exactly how I am running the BOI is absolutely the safest way legally I know how to do it.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:22 AM   #16
DLenaRuth999s
The BOI is extremely valuable to me. I appreciate the moderators who make it work. I’m coming up on my 4 year anniversary here and realized that I rarely make a purchase, even at a show, without checking them out on here. I don’t put much stock in FB boi sites. There isn’t the same level of professional, genuine concern for the hobby that I find here.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:23 AM   #17
AllisonLeigh
I'll be sad to see the BOI go, as I've always found it a really useful tool to identify the good and bad businesses to deal with, but also to learn from other's transactions; what went good, what went bad, how it got resolved, why it became an issue in the first place, what the warning signs were, etc... It is and has been a valuable tool in all aspects of this hobby, however I totally understand what a burden it must be at times so really don't blame you for stepping back from it. Regardless what happens to the BOI, thanks for the lessons

Old 01-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #18
Corey Woods
Hello Rich,

Can you post a link to where people can become a contributing member.

Thank you!
Corey Woods

Old 01-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #19
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Woods View Post
Hello Rich,

Can you post a link to where people can become a contributing member.

Thank you!
Corey Woods
Corey, thank you for contributing! Just go to your user control panel, and down to the "paid subscriptions" box.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2019, 11:54 AM   #20
oddonesonly
Sorry.... You mean the
"Board of Inquisition"

Honestly, It had passed its usefulness a long a time ago. The integrity and accuracy is far too often no more than petty jealousy and name calling. After an outrages incident this summer. I had decided to stop contributing to fauna. Specifically because of BOI threads! Unless something gets done to protect good sellers from the "Trolls" I can not continue to support this site. A loyal benefactor and supporter for years!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!