uromastyx tail injury/infection - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
hupababy_83
Unhappy uromastyx tail injury/infection

Ok so about a month back I noticed Albys tail spikes started getting the rot look back to them. I went to the vet, and all she said was "its because she's WC, give her a bath and put triple ABX on her." I did it, then last week I found the half rotted spike in her tank. With a huge scar on her tail. Today I gave her a bath and the whole bottom of her tail washed away, leaving a raw looking sore! AND TWO TOES on back foot! I don't like my vet, she doesn't specialize in reptiles, just dabbles in it! Can you guys tell me what this is!? I'm putting TRIPLE ABX on it, she is o paper towels to keep sand out of it.

Here are pics, 1 is scar, 2 is her foot, 3 is her tail, 4 is her hospital tank (sorry for water spots, used to be gecko tank long ago and I don't know how to get rid of water stains)

Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
dlite87
I'm no expert but i would think that the bath would make it worse if its rotting, plus they don't normally come into contact with mass amounts of water in their natural habitat. How hot do you keep the tank and what about humidity?

Old 04-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
MDC_Ophiuchus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlite87 View Post
I'm no expert but i would think that the bath would make it worse if its rotting, plus they don't normally come into contact with mass amounts of water in their natural habitat. How hot do you keep the tank and what about humidity?
Ditto. I say nix the baths from now on, and just keep up with the Triple ABX stuff every few days. It should heal up over time.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
fuzzylogix
water on a uro is what causes the tail rot, not fixes it. i would do like everyone is saying. keep the antibiotics up and try and find a real herp vet in your area. i don't even keep a water dish in my uro enclosures.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:25 AM   #5
Mikeg414
Sorry I cant help with the uro but, I can help with the water spots. Soak the tank filled with water (hot is better) and pour about a cup and a half to a cup of vinegar in. Scrub after about ten minutes and they should come off=) Hope that helps!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!