Age vs. Size - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
whytepizza
Age vs. Size

Does age really factor into breeding much, or is it all based upon size? I have one little girl who has grown ALOT over the past year, and i've never bred anything under 2yrs of age. Currently, she is bigger than my breeders and she is only 1yr old. She is my absolute favorite, and i want to mix her back with the dad (who is albino) and see if i can't product some more albinos with the same temperment she has.
I'm a little impatient, but i didn't want to try and breed her if it could potentially hurt her any way which could be avoided. I've heard of people breeding at a young age but i'm a little skeptical.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
-Jon

Old 06-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
John E Dove
I'm kind of dumb on this subject but I thought that they were not physically developed to the point where they could breed at one year. Kind of like trying to breed a 3 month old cat, some can breed at 4 months but the organs are not developed enough for breeding to take at 3 months.
If you feel confident in her size you could try just to see if she physically can breed at that age but let us know if it takes.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
99Vengeur
The better rule of thumb is size for reptiles. For western hognose, the general size agreed upon is 250+ grams in weight. At this size, the female is very capable of producing large healthy clutches and may even double-clutch. For males, anything larger than about 90 grams should be sufficient.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
whytepizza
Thanks very much!
I know she weighs more than my breeders right now, but i have to get a new postal meter to weigh her correctly.
I think, for now i am going to hold off for a little while longer (6months or so). I don't want to put her in any danger, or risk any health problems if it can be avoided. Maybe, in the future i will try it with another snake, but i want to breed this one for her temperment and good control as well as her colors and possibility of having albinos so i don't want to take any chances with her, yet.
Thank you guys, for the advice! I will let you know in the future how it works out! (her sister is reaching close to the same weight and is from the same clutch, i may try with her).
Thanks again!
Jonathan

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!