New Mountain Horned Dragon... questions. - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-29-2007, 01:36 AM   #51
Mad4You2
Test tube studies suggest royal jelly may have some cancer-preventive properties.3 Animal studies have found that royal jelly has some cholesterol-lowering,4 immune-stimulating,5 anti-inflammatory, and wound-healing properties.6 - quoted from eVitamins site - http://www.evitamins.com/healthnotes...dition-Summary - I'm not sure a link will work on here and not sure if it's ok to post them....I hate it when that happens....in case you guys haven't noticed the sleep med isn't kicking in tonite....

Old 08-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #52
Drache613
Hello

Hello!

Great the meds finally made it to you! I hope that they will work well for them both.
It sounds like they are doing pretty well & eating. Clamping the mouth shut sounds about normal! Make sure she doesn't bite or chew off the end of that feeding tube! LOL It can happen. I hope she cooperates.
Poor toe. Hm, I have never used the comfrey but have used serrapeptase. That is an enzyme found in silkworms that is helpful with swelling & inflammation. You can buy it in powdered form from www.serrapeptase.org
I agree, Armstrong crickets have great quality. IF you decide to breed crickets, let me know. I have a little article written up I can send you.
The bee pollen, royal jelly & brewer's yeast is a great mix. It does wonders for their immune system when sick.
I would like to see that article or letter you are talking about! I will PM you with my email.

Tracie

Old 08-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #53
Drache613
Hello

Hello again,

I just forgot to say that definitely the acidophiliz is a must with the meds. You should keep them on that for awhile, during their med rounds & a couple of weeks after they are done with their meds, too.
Great job! Keep us updated on them both.

Tracie

Old 08-30-2007, 03:15 AM   #54
bullfrog100000
RE:

Well the gals got their first doses of meds tonight. I think Beardy often thinks she's getting a worm or something when I use the tube w/ her and swallows it right down almost to her stomach w/ out me even having to try! Then of course happily gulps it all down. She's really a little shit. I'm pretty sure she's going thru her adolescent /puberty type period. We need to weigh them again I think the beardy has gained more weight at least.
We will ,,,I swear eventually get some pictures of them going. At some point I'll just send you the info. to get into our "photo bucket " online photo album more or less. Its free to anyone, and its a nice way to share any photos you want w/ people.

I love probiotics in general for every body. I was pretty happy to hear the breeder offer to add it to the supplies. Irritatingly, about 20 years ago when I was really getting into the reptiles and had a house full of all diff. types . I had gone to a few vets,and discussed using the different acidophilus'''s,I wanted at the time to put together a vitamin supplement and include enzymes and probiotics and minerals for reptiles. All of them said that it was pretty much a hair brained Idea! And described a bunch of reasons why it wasn't anything they could use or need etc.. What dumbasses! But then I got discouraged and didn't persue it, what a dumbass! LOL..

We sent an e-mail and called that "go lizards go" co. about crickets. They've never responded. I often take that as clue of what kind of behaviour to expect from them in future business dealings.. So I'm glad you 's had another suggestion! Thanks.

So the bee pollen etc, I used to take for energy mostly. It was good to get the refresher on all the other good stuff it does. Do you know what amounts you would use for the lizards.or what amount pr. ..X grams of body weight etc...? Cause I'll go get them the bee pollen,jelly, and yeast. If you've used the serrapeptase safely I'll be fine w/ trying that. You never know what an animal could be allergic or intolerant to. Thanks ,,Gigi..

Old 08-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #55
Drache613
Hello

Hello Gigi!

Great they are both doing well & taking their meds like they are suppose to be doing!
Yeah, too bad people were not more receptive to your concoction back then...they had no idea what the future would hold.
Yes, I can attest to serrapeptase as I have used it on a dragon with a back injury & it worked very well. I started with 50 grams daily, divided in 2 doses. He was a large dragon though, so, I would only use 25 grams daily, divided up in 2 doses. It is not toxic though, so if you are not exactly precise on measurements, no big deal.
The bee pollen, royal jelly & brewer's yeast, well, hm, let me think. As far as measurements per body weight it would be such a minute amount, that it might be hard to figure that as there really isn't any "set" recommendations since they are not "medications". Personally, I would just start with just a tiny pinch as you would do on the calcium daily, & mix that up with the probiotics & that should be more than sufficient. Those ingredients are not toxic so no worries on overdosing them. You could start with 3 days a week for that just to make sure there are no adverse reactions. I do not think there will be though. Then, of course, the the probiotics & serrapeptase, daily of course.
You are doing great! I am excited your MHD has improved so much.
I will do some looking around for doses, etc, & if I get anything more specific I will let you know.

Tracie

Old 08-30-2007, 06:27 PM   #56
Mad4You2
Hi....I use use the royal jelly about 1/4 tsp when I'm mixing up a slurry batch...I would just use a drop or two for each feeding....I would divide 1 cap of bee pollen between the beardie and the MHD or maybe a bit less - I guess you could always close the capsule again and use the rest later. Good luck...glad they are taking the meds for you! Angie

Old 08-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #57
bullfrog100000
Only thing with the MHD is she won't eat on her own still!!! We got some of the bee stuff, probably add it to food tonight, along with the next dose of Albon.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #58
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Geez, she still wont eat on her own huh? Is she alert & basking?
Hopefully she will begin to eat on her own very soon! I hope anyway. Keep trying, but at least she is getting food into her though & is taking her meds too.
Keep us posted!

Tracie

Old 09-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #59
bullfrog100000
Yep, she is basking (she mostly hangs out on this bamboo stick by a clump of fake leaves). She is alert, she's puffed out her dewlap (?sp) like she was when she first got here... I assume that's a good sign. She has pooped twice for us after the first dose of Albon, once every other day. And she pooped this morning too. So, three times total since Wed. night. Plus she's gained 7 grams, weighed her yesterday (post feed, pre-poop LOL) and she was 74 grams.
The beardie is being a pig still and pooping some seriously yucky stuff (Gigi says "yeah, like a big 2 inch stringy worm") Hey... we're just sharing progress here. LOL. She has gained a bunch, like 20 grams, her weight last night (post-feed, pre-poop) was 145 grams. Oh... she started eating her "salads" last week, likes carrot tops and yellow summer squash quite a bit. Probably need to post this info in our beardie thread later.
They've also been getting some bee pollen sprinkles. On a side note... the rat we are pet-sitting LOVES the bee pollen. He'll get it off all his food, then eat the food pretty much.
Once the MHD eats on her own I feel like that will be her really getting over the hump of being sick, well and acclimating too.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #60
bullfrog100000
Did some more lizard care this evening...
MHD pooped again. She is also showing her "attitude" she had when we first got her, puffing the dewlap and she even hissed a couple times (that makes the feeding so much easier when she opens for us. LOL!!) I think the cranky attitude is a good sign... just the one hurdle left... to eat on her own.
We're going to order a variety of worm things this weekend for the girls... silkworms, phoenix worms, maybe superworms (thoughts on those?)... what else? Oh, and of course we're gonna get a HUGE box of crickets.
Still haven't totally come up with names, got any great ideas?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!