Substrate for Collared Lizards - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
AdamR
Substrate for Collared Lizards

I just picked up a few collared lizards! They are currently on peat moss with several flat stones scattered and piled about. I was wondering if I should use something else as substrate? I have seen people use ceramic tiles for other lizards. I thinks this would be much easier to clean and it would prevent impaction, are tiles a viable option? Also, the peat moss was treated with Prevent-a-Mite. It kills the feeder crickets and worms within ~30min, but the lizards usually eat them before this happens. Is it ok that the moss is treated? I don't want the lizards to get poisoned. They haven't shown any adverse signs from this. They still eat, drink, poop, and act like crazy lizards! Thanks for your help!

Adam

Old 04-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
angie.h
Hi Adam....I used to keep them on sand, with a lot of rocks and a piece of drift wood if you like. A couple of nice large rocks on the basking side are better than wood, because they require a hot [ 110-120] basking area, and the rocks will hold the heat. They need a large tank because they are generally pretty active, and there should be a huge heat gradient....the cool side being around 75-80. I would definitely get rid of the prevent- a mite soaked peat moss ASAP....if the bugs are dying in it, the lizards should not be living in it. A medium size bowl of water should be near the cool side of the tank.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
AdamR
Angie, Thank you! They are in a 40g tank with a hide on each end. The hot spot is about 100F currently but I am getting a larger bulb to help a little bit. There is a pile of rocks right under the hot spot that holds the heat well. Under one hide there is a UTH which they seem to love because they dig down to it and lay on it. I will get rid of the moss in the morning, I don't want to disturb them while they are sleeping and one was shedding all day. The cool side stays around 78F and the water bowl is closer to this side than the warm side (they use it more as a splash pond lol). I have a 1.2 trio and they seem to get along well. They will jump on my hands if I put them in there.

What would be a good rounded diet for them? I've been feeding calcium+D3 dusted crickets, which they eat quickly!

Old 04-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
angie.h
They will eat most types of worms....superworms, meal, wax, butter, hornworms, locusts, grass hoppers. Some of thode worms are high in fat, so crix are still the best. Be sure to never have a small one in the same tank, they will cannibalize a younger lizard....anything they can fit in their mouth.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!