hwo to get liscence/permit for venomous in NJ? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-17-2009, 12:40 AM   #11
evilcowboy420
I have toyed with the idea myself of getting a copperhead. NY state laws prohibit them without a permit and a class by the DEC. I would say a great first step is to find out which snake you are interested in and observe it respectfully in the wild. I currently still do not own one because I am still doing observations myself. Never try to pick up any wild venomous snake just do some keen observations from a distance. Once you have made the decision to get one I would take the class then get the permit. From that point I would go to a local zoo or to a breeder and ask if you could shadow them for a while and take notes on how they handle them. Also take a look on youtube there are quite a few experienced people on there that show great vids on how to properly handle, milk, tube, etc a venomous snake. Then finally get the snake.

I only say do it all in that order because it will only take one mistake. check out some snake bite vids on youtube there are a lot of them. I would personally go for a less venomous snake like a pygmy rattler or a copperhead. If you are bitten by one of them then you run less of a risk of death. I would defiantly not start with a monocled cobra or black mamba or anything like that. Get to know the venomous snakes in your area before moving on to snakes from other regions.

I would also like to add the fact you are here asking questions and not just rushing out and getting the first venomous snake you see shows good responsibility on your part. There are people who don't even get the permit and pick them right out of the wild. Which you are clearly not doing.

The people who are stressing to be responsible have probably just seen so many people do this sort of stuff and just want you to take the best course of action. They simply don't want to so you or a snake get hurt from not being fully educated on the subject.

Good Luck and remember to ask questions.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:57 AM   #12
hhmoore
I don't know the first thing about getting a venomous permit in NJ, or if there even is one.
As a quick aside - a "class" was mentioned as part of the NYS requirement...that is something of a problem, as, at least the last I knew, there was no class. They do want there to be one, but it has (had?) yet to be established who would teach that class, what would be required to be an instructor, or what would be taught (and by what methods). I doubt that any (NY) state office would support "hands on" training in the classes, simply due to liability; and "book learnin" is of limited value.

To the OP, the regulations and requirements vary from state to state....and local law can be more restrictive than state (local law cannot allow something prohibited by the state, but it can prohibit something allowed by the state) - in addition to learning about your state requirements, you would be well advised to find about about your local laws (county, town/city, village). You may find that you have to give proof of experience with either venomous in general, or with the species you are requesting. Since permits are often animal/species specific, you would have to know what you want before you you pursue a permit. There may well be language that states you agree to random inspections. You may also have to state WHY you want a venomous reptile - and, if a permit is required, "pet" may not be an acceptable response.
I have mixed feelings about some of the suggestions that have been made - I've worked with a wide variety of hots, and, with many species, it is easier to deal with something that has a little size to it (as opposed to a baby). Also, keeping "mildly venomous" or snakes that are slow to strike can easily foster complacency...I sometimes think it is better to have a hot that you know will hurt you, and tries to do so on a regular basis . Rather than make random suggestions, I will suggest that you decide where your interest lies & take it from there - just don't come up with black mamba, forest cobra, or king cobra right off the bat, lol.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
evilcowboy420
Yeah in NY the only one I knew of that had a permit for venomous was for educational but I think you would have to absolutely prove something like that. I wasn't aware that ny hadn't established a class yet. Well kind of sucks for me. lol

And yes Harald is right never say you want it as a pet. Most states with laws requiring a permit will have strict laws in place for certain animals. I remember finding out most of this type of stuff when I wanted a wolf/dog hybrid and found out my state don't like that idea. So most conservation laws are put in place to strictly keep people from getting animals simply for novelty and is going to be waaaaaaay harder to even find someone who will even consider giving a permit.

DEC usually don't want to give anything to anyone. I couldn't even get a permit to release some snakes that were local that I took from someone else (no I personally would never take a snake from the wild) who had caught them and I wanted to put them back where they came from. So now I got a bunch of snakes that would be considered illegal for me to own(mainly garters) and they wouldn't even give me the permit so I didn't get in trouble for having them. Go figure. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:19 AM   #14
hhmoore
Not to take this too far off track, but NYS permits were not always a big hassle - I've had both Endangered Species and Venomous Reptile permits, and both departments used to be great to deal with. Its just since the latest dangerous animal legislation (2005?) that the process became essentially prohibitive.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:36 AM   #15
evilcowboy420
Dang I missed the boat on that one lol. I was worried when that fella in Florida wanted to ban all python species, But I was greatly relieved when they amended it. I thought that something similar would happen.

Hopefully they do come up with some sort of class for this and that might make it easier to obtain a permit. But like you said it is a big liability issue. I could see it now someone getting bit in class

Instructor: well I guess Bob didn't know how to handle the thing. Oh well, lets see if Cindy can learn from Bob's mistake.

lol

yeah that would probably go over like a lead balloon lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!